Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   what are you reading? (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=3180)

_slavo_ 12.27.2009 05:03 PM

awesome book

jon boy 12.27.2009 05:38 PM

vancouver special by charles demers. its very good and i like the way he described taking the number 3 main as like a russian roullette game to see who is gonna crack under the pressure first.

Glice 12.27.2009 05:44 PM

I'm reading Paul Feyerabend's autobiography, Killing Time. He's traditionally known for being a philosopher of science or an awkward bugger. What's he's less well-known for is being a brilliant writer, incredibly funny and astonishingly sharp. I don't normally care to recommend books to people, but this one is one of those ones that's so good, everyone should read it.

simulated stereo 12.27.2009 06:15 PM

Bouncing between the following:

pbradley 12.27.2009 07:00 PM

Glice 12.27.2009 07:03 PM

Good old Alan. How you getting on with the old awkward fucker?

pbradley 12.27.2009 07:04 PM

Only read through the preface, so far.

Glice 12.27.2009 07:13 PM

I think, regardless of my own inclinations, Badiou will end up providing an escape trajectory from a lot of 20th-century ideas in philosophy. There's a lot to him that's discretely provocative without being hopelessly mired in... toss.

fugazifan 01.02.2010 10:54 AM

i just finished Toni Morrispn's Beloved for a course,
now I'm reading Nietzshe's the Birth of a Tragedy for a different course.

demonrail666 01.02.2010 11:04 AM

Glice 01.02.2010 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666

Does every page have with the word 'cunt' on the left hand side and another picture of Dave looking particularly cunty on the right?

demonrail666 01.02.2010 11:20 AM

regretably not, although it does have two sections of very cunty photos within it.

I mean, honestly. the fucker looks like a psy-trance dj!

Kannibal 01.02.2010 12:03 PM

finished one translation of his essays,
rather dark experience
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentti_Linkola

looking glass spectacle 01.02.2010 01:55 PM

quite an interesting volume from the publishers of Consumer Reports magazine. contains some fascinating and convincing research on "heroin overdose" as an catch all determination used by lazy coroners whenever an addict is brought to the morgue.

the authors point out that actually overdosing on heroin is quite difficult, if not impossible. (did not know that) their research shows that it would take more than 50 times times a standard dose (more than 500 mg) to kill even a non-addict. in one experiment an addict was injected with 1800 mg of unadulterated heroin over the course of two hours. this did not even make him drowsy, let alone sick or dead. even if addicts did inject insanely large amounts, death would come slowly, leaving plenty of time for many of them to be saved by injection of a narcotic antagonist.

why so many addicts are dropping dead from "overdose" seemed a medical mystery to the researchers... they point to a spike in "overdose" deaths in new york beginning in 1943, many of the addicts found with the syringe still in the vein. given that lethal opiate doses cause a slow death, something else must be killing these drug users.

one hypothesis points to a 1939 malaria epidemic in new york, after which quinine was increasingly used as an adulterant by dealers. an unrelated investigation of the deaths of several nurses attempting to induce abortion on themselves by ingesting quinine brought rapid death by pulmonary edema almost identical to many cases of "heroin overdose."

a more sociological approach pointed to an even more insidious cause for the increase in deaths supposedly due to "heroin overdose." as "overdose" became an increasing common determination made by the authorities (coroners unwilling to look further than the obvious), the idea that you could in fact die from overdose of heroin took hold in both the popular imagination and the medical profession. this had the effect of slowly erasing what had previously been common knowledge among addicts as well as doctors. namely that "the ordinary safe therapeutic dose of morphine may be fatal to persons who have been drinking alcoholic beverages."

the authors ask how many thousands of lives could have been saved (incuding those of jimi hendrix and janis joplin) had coroners simply correctly attributed deaths to "combination of alcohol and opiates" rather than perpetuating the myth of "heroin overdose."

looking glass spectacle 01.02.2010 01:58 PM

anyway, all of that got me in the mood to pick this up again.

Keeping It Simple 01.02.2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
regretably not, although it does have two sections of very cunty photos within it.

I mean, honestly. the fucker looks like a psy-trance dj!

That man is going to be the Prime Minister of Great Britain by the summer. So show some respect, you lefty cunts.

Glice 01.02.2010 02:56 PM

IDS was ok. Hague was ok. Major was ok. Thatcher was a cunt, but an awesome one. Cameron is clearly a complete cunt. The sort of cunt by which all cunts in future will be measured.

Keeping It Simple 01.02.2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glice
IDS was ok. Hague was ok. Major was ok. Thatcher was a cunt, but an awesome one. Cameron is clearly a complete cunt. The sort of cunt by which all cunts in future will be measured.

Tony Blair raised the bar when it comes to being a cunt. Gordon Brown comes a close second. Don't try and deflect that obvious fact with Labourite bullshit.

chicka 01.02.2010 03:28 PM

what is that about great minds......:)

Glice 01.02.2010 03:29 PM

Brown and Blair are cunts, certainly. It's not strictly Labourite to point out the this country's second-biggest cunt (after Jeremy Clarkson) is a cunt. I heard Bono and Mugabe were paying Cameron for lessons on how to be bigger cunts. He charged them well above the going rate (Jamie Oliver only charges £50 an hour). What a cunt, eh?