Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   The Eternal Streaming Review (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30767)

Danny Himself 04.30.2009 03:36 PM

Ah, fuck it. Let's go bowling.

jennthebenn 04.30.2009 03:37 PM

static-harmony 04.30.2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jennthebenn

How did I know you were going to post something similar to that pic.

alex_could 04.30.2009 03:40 PM

... and i just wanted to discuss new sy album

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 03:45 PM

Start discussing, then. Danny did, you didn't.

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 03:50 PM

Oh yeah, The Eternal is one of Sonic Youth's best albums. I have listened to it for an insane amount of times by now.

jennthebenn 04.30.2009 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by static-harmony
How did I know you were going to post something similar to that pic.

Because you pay attention.

static-harmony 04.30.2009 04:04 PM

Or I've been here a long time.

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 04:10 PM

You find yourself begging for thrills on the internet, it means you don't get any in your own pathetic existence.

nicfit 04.30.2009 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Oh yeah, The Eternal is one of Sonic Youth's best albums. I have listened to it for an insane amount of times by now.

Is this a serious thought or a made up sentence mimicking someone else?
Just curious, because I missed a lot of posts in here and there's no point in reading everything, most likely...

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nicfit
Is this a serious thought or a made up sentence mimicking someone else?
Just curious, because I missed a lot of posts in here and there's no point in reading everything, most likely...

Positive.

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 04:17 PM

Personally I find it's a better record than Washing Machine, NYCG&F, and A Thousand Leaves.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.30.2009 04:20 PM

Danny your criticism was constructive and had some valid points. You talk about the production in the matters where production is sound- you don't like the way the vocals were recorded.

Alex talks about the production like an A+R guy, about creative production. Sonic Youth are a punk fucking rock band. They don't need some guy with a Donald Trump haircut telling them they need more cowbell and then rewriting the bridge in a song.

jennthebenn 04.30.2009 04:22 PM

Quote:

Personally I find it's a better record than Washing Machine, NYCG&F, and A Thousand Leaves.

I'm going to wait till the physical CD is warming my ears till I proclaim it the
equal or superior of ATL, because I put that album on a pedestal,but...better than the other two, I have no problem saying that. I'm on listen 12 right now.

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 04:28 PM

It's also the best recorded Sonic Youth album, in the best possible way. This from a shitty stream rip. It has more licks and good songs on a single album than any of those three, save for Sacred Twister and Thunderclap.

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead

Alex talks about the production like an A+R guy, about creative production. Sonic Youth are a punk fucking rock band.

I disagree with that, Sonic Youth are a rock band on a par with U2 or The Rolling Stones now, without sharing the same ridiculous posture or shit records. Or sales, obviously.

SpectralJulianIsNotDead 04.30.2009 04:42 PM

Even the Stones or U2 wouldn't cede creative control to a bigwig producer. Not now at least.

"I'm Keef fucking Richards and yr gonna tell me how to structure my song? Fuck you!"

And obviously no producer tries to get Mick to sing better.

atsonicpark 04.30.2009 04:43 PM

Def. sy's best since murray street, maybe will proven to be even better than murray. Great album. Surprised by it.

sarramkrop 04.30.2009 04:47 PM

That's what makes them great in the first place. This is not a John Agnello record, he just helped out with the way it sounds. It's a very commercial Sonic Youth record, by their old standards, without them having to whore themselves.

mysonichaircut 04.30.2009 04:48 PM

Quote:

You know the poster you're replying to, and orchestrating the trolling with him/her. You are both very silly.

no, i dont. i just thought he was right. jim in the production would have been helpful for some structural things. but in regard of other aspects this production is better than jims. its more punchy.

you are right, they are rockers. but: when you do a songwriting like this, a mistake is a mistake, and you can hear it. And: the noise in "mass history" seems not to be a part of the song, but an aid to hide something.

listen to nycgf. thats one piece, perfect.

but i think, they are on their way to something new, and this album is however quite good, again: o really like malibu station, poison arrow and leaky lifeboat.