Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   "song-to-song" relationships and connections (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=199)

to.w 03.09.2007 04:29 AM

Heather Angel and Turquoise Boy just for the melody...
And I think Pattern Recognition is to be linked with every other song by SY!

Interesting thread by the way!

Blandkind 03.09.2007 07:51 AM

Wildflower Soul and The empty Page

Washing Machine 03.09.2007 09:43 AM

I think of most SY albums as concept albums - obviously not in the sense that they tell a story (i think the album is a terrible format for that kinda of indulgence anyway) but in the sense that they all strike up particular images and emotions.
A few personal ideas:

Bad Moon Rising - Someone on the board said it was the "soundtrack to a punk horror road film', everytime I hear it I can't help but see desert highways, and far out ghost towns, all backdropped by a rising sunset.

EVOL - Continues this road theme. Like the liner notes describe, 2 teenages going off to discover America. "I left home for experience caved suk for honesty on my chest" still remains my favourite Sonic Youth line ever.

Daydream Nation - The Perfect soundtrack to a Richard Linklater film. One can imagine hanging out with friends, getting drunk, stoned and staying up to the early hours talking shit. The burning candle says it all. I always thought of this album as the perfect elegy to the Reagan years and to the 80's.

I could go on, but those are the records that seem to have the most conceptional connections. I can't pinpoint where most of these images and ideas come from...they just seem to be there in the music.

atari 2600 03.09.2007 01:05 PM

At one show after Tom Violence and before Brother James, Thurston explains, "Here's another religious song about fucking."

haha

And, let's see...

at another show, Thurston banters that Mary-Christ is part two of (I Got A) Catholic Block.

On the Goo album, of course, the Mary-Christ outro is the same as the Kool Thing intro.

fluxequalsrad 03.09.2007 01:37 PM

Wildflower Soul sounds to me like the blue print for the Murray Street jams. When I first heard it thats all I could think of.(back in the wonderful process of digesting the sonic youth discography.) Really reminds me of Rain on Tin, only simpler guitar work.

Does anyone know the solo thurston song where they lifted a riff for disconnection notice or rain on tin, I don't know what song on murray street.

clever name 03.09.2007 03:02 PM

Yo, great thread. I never want to ruin they're poetic fun by pulling the songs apart on this board, but this is a less hazardous endeavor.

Sonic Nurse was my first SY album (if we don't count soundtracks) and it seems a lot more interconnected than, say, Murray St (where each song darts off into totally different musical and lyrical realms than the last) or Washing Machine (where they seem to be trying on a number of 'modes' for size).

I feel that Pattern Recognition / Kim Gordon (Mariah Carey) and the Arthur Doyle Hand Cream / Dude Ranch Nurse are a great trilogy of vaguely provocative feminist critiques that come across more like riddles than diatribes.

Also, Dripping Dream / Stones / Peace Attack are unified by their intensely organized musical passages and midsong 'breakdowns' as well as decidedly less excrutiating guitar-work.

It's impossible not to mention to more obviously interconnected NYC G&F, where we hear the words "Ghosts" "Flowers" and "Lightning" as lyrics to more than one of the songs, suggesting a puposeful interconnection.

Daydream Nation, by virtue of being so thoroughly unlike the rest of the albums, feels like a totally cohesive whole. It's tone of, god what is it?, educated innocence?, spans the entire record.

Finally, the unrepentant potency that crowds Experimental Jet Set... feels like another this-record-only, induplicable foray. Only time will tell if Rather Ripped is a similar detour or a whole new (Pacific Coast) highway.

In another way, all of each respective singer's songs constitute a constantly evolving 'thread' of Sonic Youth music. Listeining to a string of Lee joints together presents an irrefutable style that is bound more by approach and spirit than by any identifiable signature sounds.

I hope this hasn't been more rambling delirium than you can stand. Peace

clever name 03.09.2007 03:04 PM

Not they're. Their. Good, now life is perfect.

ZEROpumpkins 03.09.2007 09:54 PM

Uhh I always associated PCH and Pipeline together, for some reason. Others without much explaination:
Hey Joni and Eric's Trip
Secret Girl and Marylin Moore
Screaming Skull and Starfield Road
SFCC and NYCG&F
She is not Alone and I don't want to push it
And those with reasons:
Hits of Sunshine and Karen Koltrane (Both songs bore me)
Panty Lies and No Queen Blues (Both songs are screechy and horrible)
And the Karen Triolgy

There's more but I can't think of them.

Magic Wheel Memory 03.10.2007 01:57 AM

For me, it would be New Hampshire and Master of Puppets.

ZEROpumpkins 03.10.2007 02:14 AM

:D:D:D

youthoftomorrow 03.10.2007 03:09 PM

i made a post in the "post cometing completely random" thread along these lines.

i'm convinced that "I Love Her All The Time" and "Green Light" are both about F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

hirsute_biped 03.10.2007 10:25 PM

little trouble girl / snare, girl

cotton crown / unwind

Marfloth 03.11.2007 06:32 AM

....Erics Trip : my cup is full, and I feel okay
the world is dull, but not today

..."Paper Cup Exit" .....

Yeah....im just getting desperate here

Green Magnesium 03.11.2007 12:07 PM

PCH and The Sprawl remind me of one another for some reason.

Halloween/Death Valley '69 and I Love Her All the Time/Ghost Bitch

Both pairs of the above songs go hand in hand for me, maybe because they were often performed live on the Bad Moon tour, bleeding into one another.

atari 2600 03.11.2007 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by to.w
Heather Angel and Turquoise Boy just for the melody...
And I think Pattern Recognition is to be linked with every other song by SY!

Interesting thread by the way!

Turquoise Boy's origin can be found in an acoustic instrumental Thurston did back in '02 (at that time) entitled "Altar Boy, Church Basement." There's a Turquoise Boy book that the title (I suppose) is taken.

I wanted to squeeze it in on #8...maybe I should have...

something 03.12.2007 01:50 AM

washing machine has some riffs that repeat a lil throughout the album

k-krack 03.12.2007 02:15 AM

Essentially, all of the Sonic Youth album/EP is inseperable for me. It all sounds so beautiful and dark together.

(A super obvious choice):
Secret Girls and Providence, because of the piano...

But more personal;
Dirty Boots and Hotwire My Heart and White Kross are all very close for me for some reason. They do not sound at all alike, but I always pictured them as somewhat similar... because the first actual Sonic Youth songs I heard were (apart from "Little Jammy Thing") White Kross and Dirty Boots, and Hotwire my Heart was an early favourite when I first got into Sonic Youth.... (Hotwire barely even fits in here...)

top 40 squeeze 03.12.2007 02:19 AM

Shadow of A Doubt and Beauty Lies in the Eye have the same kind of thing going for them.

ZEROpumpkins 03.13.2007 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by atari 2600
Turquoise Boy's origin can be found in an acoustic instrumental Thurston did back in '02 (at that time) entitled "Altar Boy, Church Basement."

Haha! I love that title.

SYRFox 03.13.2007 11:04 AM

Ghost Bitch / I'm Insane
I Dreamed I Dream / Hard Work
Dude Ranch Nurse / I Love You Golden Blue
Secret Girl / Providence