Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

Cantankerous 06.30.2008 05:13 PM

i am american and i will never try to make up for the fact that i am american or deny the fact.

acousticrock87 06.30.2008 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by screamingskull
Wow, strange. I have had people (Americans) tell me that they are Irish before, and then expect me to be all like "oh wow, how exotic" or something, ha ha ha ha. Maybe it is exotic for Americans, it certainly gives you more history than just being plain old American. But i always just think "You are an american, you were born in America, you were raised in America and educated in America, you are an American, deal with it"

Yeah, that's actually kind of a weird concept for me. To be "just American". I mean it's technically true, but it's a strange train of thought for Americans.

Cantankerous 06.30.2008 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Yeah, that's actually kind of a weird concept for me. To be "just American". I mean it's technically true, but it's a strange train of thought for Americans.

its just how it is in america, partly because america is so new compared to all the other countries.

screamingskull 06.30.2008 05:15 PM

I guess English people have a hard time with it because they can't go around being all "I'm English, and damn proud of it, i am going to stick an English flag on my car" because its seen as being racist (unless there is a football match going on).

and because England and Ireland (and Scotland) have such horrible histories of fighting each other.

EMMAh 06.30.2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _slavo_
Hahaha Emmah, I thought you were like giving me shit in your first response about the chair and Nikon and stuff. like, a completely irrelevant dadaist respose. I laughed hard at it.

Hahah, no I didn't mean it like that. I just didn't read what was going on in the thread really.

Cantankerous 06.30.2008 05:17 PM

i wouldn't stick an american (or irish or norwegian or anything else) flag on anything. although i do have an american flag hanging over a window in my bathroom but it's just for a curtain because it fit properly

EMMAh 06.30.2008 05:18 PM

The only thing I have a Canadian flag on his my suitcase tag.

acousticrock87 06.30.2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cantankerous
its just how it is in america, partly because america is so new compared to all the other countries.

Yeah, but I mean it's been a while by now. 250 years almost? Two of my grandparents were from Russia, but I have no connections with the country. I don't "feel" half Russian, but it still seems like I'm more Russian than American.

And I don't have a problem with patriotism, but American patriotism usually means Republican asshole.

terriblecanyons 06.30.2008 05:18 PM

Quote:

I guess English people have a hard time with it because they can't go around being all "I'm English, and damn proud of it, i am going to stick an English flag on my car" because its seen as being racist (unless there is a football match going on).

and because England and Ireland (and Scotland) have such horrible histories of fighting each other.

Wow, that's a really strange concept for me to grasp. In America a lot of people have their flags and shit everywhere, even the union jack (even though it can be considered redneck or racist or whatever) that is really just a strange concept to me. Then again white people aren't really allowed to say that they're proud to be white... which makes no sense whatsoever.

Cantankerous 06.30.2008 05:19 PM

you mean the confederate flag?

hah the union jack redneck.

Cantankerous 06.30.2008 05:20 PM

THESE COLOURS DON'T RUN

hahhaa

terriblecanyons 06.30.2008 05:20 PM

Yeah... forgot the word heh.
That'd be funny if the union jack were redneck though.

_slavo_ 06.30.2008 05:21 PM

the american flag patriotist mania was completely puzzling to me the first time I saw it with my eyes. I mean the only time you basically see people waving slovakian flags around here is during the ice hockey world championships (although not really anymore ... we've been shit recently)

screamingskull 06.30.2008 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
Wow, that's a really strange concept for me to grasp. In America a lot of people have their flags and shit everywhere, even the union jack (even though it can be considered redneck or racist or whatever) that is really just a strange concept to me. Then again white people aren't really allowed to say that they're proud to be white... which makes no sense whatsoever.

you can't do a thing. It really struck me when i was really really into listening to At The Drive-In, they were so damn proud to be from Puerto Rico, Mexico, and El Paso. They hung Puerto Rican flags from their amps at all their shows, if an English band did that people would assume they were racist, and wanted all immigrants out of the country. Thats just Crazy!

It's not something that i complain about, it's just how it is.

Cantankerous 06.30.2008 05:24 PM

i don't know. i guess everyone (myself included) who grew up in america is just used to that kind of shit. we celebrate the day we kicked the ass of the english every year.

acousticrock87 06.30.2008 05:24 PM

I'm really not sure why people are so patriotic here. It might just be because of 9/11, still. I don't think it was as widespread before that, was it?

screamingskull 06.30.2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

i don't know. i guess everyone (myself included) who grew up in america is just used to that kind of shit. we celebrate the day we kicked the ass of the english every year.

HA!

Quote:

Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I'm really not sure why people are so patriotic here. It might just be because of 9/11, still. I don't think it was as widespread before that, was it?

Thats totally understandable. I like how patriotic American's can be, it shows unity. Thats nice when its directed towards positive things.

terriblecanyons 06.30.2008 05:25 PM

Quote:

you can't do a thing. It really struck me when i was really really into listening to At The Drive-In, they were so damn proud to be from Puerto Rico, Mexico, and El Paso. They hung Puerto Rican flags from their amps at all their shows, if an English band did that people would assume they were racist, and wanted all immigrants out of the country. Thats just Crazy!

Weird. Is it only with that particular flag or with flags in general there?

terriblecanyons 06.30.2008 05:26 PM

Quote:

That, and the fact that a bunch of slave-owning, aristocratic, fussy old white men didn't want to pay their taxes!

acousticrock87 06.30.2008 05:27 PM

Quote:

Yeah, but that's mostly because they were actually born in Puerto Rico. In America there's still a bit of racism toward hispanics, so it's something of a backlash. Reactionary patriotism.