Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   post comething completely irrelevant! (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=6857)

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 11:08 AM

i've seen one dvd copy at the local hollywood video, but not anywhere else ever.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 11:10 AM

Hmm...I only have Casablanca and the Maltese Falcon on old VHS that I found for about $2. It should be coming on, or I'll just have to find a VHS copy or go through slightly less legal means. I need to find a copy of Anatomy of A Murder too. Jimmy Stewart night is a great one.

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 11:13 AM

for spanish class once, we had to make a poster for a movie and i chose casablanca. it was so fun describing the plot, but i was thinking about other things (i have no idea what) at the time and for some reason kept saying "couch blancas". so every time i watch i ponder why i had couches on the brain.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 11:14 AM

Haha, couches.

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 11:17 AM

my teacher (as per the prerequisite to teach foriegn language, crazy and bitchy) got high-and-mighty about my "gross errors" but i aced the hell out of the project.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 11:21 AM

Yeah, crazy and bitchy are musts for foreign language. My French teacher could be, but she never was to me because I'll bailed her out a ton when we went to France, by fixing her sat phone and helping coordinate routes through the cities. Still, after 5 years of taking French the best I can manage is a few simple phrases and being able to understand 90% of what is said to me.

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 11:23 AM

i wanted to go to spain on the trips, but i don't have $500 billion to throw nor do i like spending time outside of school with teachers. that's sweet of you, though! i've had some teachers i'd bail out of jail if the time ever came.

i can speak spanish and read it, and this used to be the opposite, but writing it is awkward.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 11:28 AM

I can write and read and understand French, but when I comes to answering questions or responding verbally when spoken to I fail horribly. I wouldn't bail her out (some I would), I mostly was tired of hearing people complain about not being able to call home or about getting lost. I was apparently the only one that could operate a phone outside of US or read a street or subway map.

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 11:30 AM

sometimes i have to remember my index cards of the weirder spanish conjugations. i hate being asked questions.

i can read bits of french- mostly movie subtitles just to give me a challenge- but i can't speak it at all.

i found this past year of english that i was one or two or three able to read a book.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 11:37 AM

I'm probably going to kill myself for signing up for French Grammar for the fall. All grammar, all in French.

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 11:48 AM

that sounds fun! right now i'm doing little online things just to learn the right pronouns and simple conjugations.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 11:52 AM

It might be. My other two college french course consisted mostly of cracking jokes in French and hearing about my professor's time as a Mormon missionary in France. I can't wait for French lit.

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 11:54 AM

my folks have some funny stories about their missionary years. apart from not really being able to correspond with the opposite sex and wearing ankle-length skirts, it really doesn't sound all that bad.

most of my spanish classes have been cracking jokes, wanting to kill my teacher, and stories like the above. the hate flows.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 11:59 AM

He was a strange guy. After the class was over, like 8 people and him went to the Belgian brasserie in town and he started fiending over the chocolate sauce they brought with his dessert. I mean, he was like trying to get every last drop and everyone was looking at him and laughing and he just said "Hey, I don't drink. I don't smoke. I don't have pre-marital sex. Chocolate's about all I've got, give me a break." He was really bitter because his fiance had left him while he was in France. It made for an interesting class.

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 12:14 PM

aw, he sounds adorable. that does sound quite fun.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 12:21 PM

He was pretty cool. He was sort of the rebel of the french department. He refused to take PHD level French Lit, so he never got a doctorate in French although he was more than qualified.

schizophrenicroom 07.24.2008 12:29 PM

yeah, two of my english teachers have been that way. best teachers i ever had. one of my history teachers taught two levels of the subject, and he refused to follow the textbook order. sometimes he tossed out the curriculum and just talked. i learned so much more just through him sharing his perspective than any horrible biased book.

Sonic Youth 37 07.24.2008 01:59 PM

Yeah, in the very first class for both parts of French he went through the "department approved" syllabus and basically went through it saying "This is pointless, we're not going to bother with it. Forget the movies you have to see, go see a French movie, any French movie and I'll count it"

2 times through Amadeus. 3rd time coming up.

Dr. Eugene Felikson 07.24.2008 02:20 PM

All this talk about french films makes me wanna pop in Haute Tension.

✌➬ 07.24.2008 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
as once my dear friend pokkeherrie said and this is his brilliance:

i hope mercy will fall on me and i wont have much work:fuckyou: today.
ps. its not so much the drinks. its the only 3-4 hours sleeping along with the drinks.

UGH that is me today.