Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Sonic Youth (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=30)

Danny Himself 01.30.2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
danny- you should pm me YOUR address and i can write you. i wrote a note to you today because i felt like it. but alas, it sits with my sheet music.. unsent until i can send it.

My address is pretty much public knowledge now after all these tape rounds but I've PM'd you anyway.

Trasher02 01.30.2007 11:37 AM

heeeeeeeey (fonzie style)

king_buzzo 01.30.2007 12:34 PM

hi fellow men

k-krack 01.30.2007 12:41 PM

Aww, sick. You don't wipe yr fucking ass?!

Hip Priest 01.30.2007 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
sebastian- hah, you've got a good score but you can't touch my high score of five million even :)

Hello Jade. One hesitates to question your wisdom on such matters, but are you absolutely certain that my thirty five million three hundred and twenty three thousand two hundred and fifty - 35,323,250 - isn't just a teensy weensy iddy biddy little bit higher? :p

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
priest man, you always post the most interesting articles.

Cheers. I aim to please. On that note, there's a good one today:

Snake Eats Toxic Toad AND Steals its Poison

The Asian snake Rhabdophis tigrinus is one tough customer. Not only can it swallow toxic toads and live to tell. It also uses the toad’s poison for its own defense, new research shows.

And rather than deploying the toxin, the snake uses it as the biological equivalent of waving a busted gun.

Where other snakes simply tolerate toxins secreted by their prey, “this is the only snake that’s truly known to use dietary toxins in its own defense,” said Deborah Hutchinson of Dominion University, lead author of the study.

The finding came when Hutchinson's colleague Akira Mori noticed that R. tigrinus showed some odd differences in behavior: Snakes that lived on Japanese islands with a plentiful toad population [image] would arch their neck and display their toxic neck glands [image] when a predator loomed nearby, but those on toad-free islands usually fled.

That led Mori to suspect that the snakes took the toxin from the toads they ate for supper instead of manufacturing the toxin themselves.

Toads secrete the toxin from their skin as a thick, white, viscous fluid that Hutchinson described as bitter and painful to predators that come into contact with it. (Because it is a cardiotoxin, in large quantity it can even stop a predator’s heart.)

To test their hypothesis, the researchers collected both the "fight" snakes and the "flight" snakes from the islands in Japan. Analysis of the snakes' neck gland fluids revealed that snakes from toad-free islands lacked the toxic compounds. The team also found that the glands in all the snakes lacked the cell machinery needed for a toxin factory.

As a means of defense, the snake’s toxic glands are mostly all show—it doesn’t actually release the toxin. It only displays the glands.

Toxin-borrowing is common in invertebrates (Monarch butterflies takes up milkweed toxins, for example), but less so among vertebrates, Hutchinson said, though some frogs are known to take up toxins from ants and other insects they eat.

The researchers also experimented with snake hatchlings; when mothers lacked the toxins in their glands, so did their hatchlings.

“The hatchlings lacked these compounds—they only accumulated these toxins when they were fed toads,” Hutchinson told LiveScience.

Mother snakes that do eat the Japanese toads can pass the toxin along to their hatchlings through the egg yolk. In this way, mothers pass on a survival advantage to their young.

“That’s a way to arm their offspring right away,” Hutchinson said.

k-krack 01.30.2007 12:55 PM

That is so cool! What I would give for toxic neck glands...

Danny Himself 01.30.2007 06:35 PM

I feel so ill..

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.30.2007 06:41 PM

something you ate?

Danny Himself 01.30.2007 06:42 PM

Could be.

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.30.2007 06:43 PM

remember,

eat fresh.

schizophrenicroom 01.31.2007 02:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDom
ive never heard of rome. is it on hbo?

yeah.

sebastian- 35 million? oh snap, i feel dumb now. your comma threw me off there. i was excited, too.

danny- but remember, i never did the mix tape thing :) but i shall write another letter today and hopefully get it out next week. my aunt's pretty nosy (whom i'll be rooming with for a week since mom'll be on a cruise) but i think i can get around that.

random homie 01.31.2007 03:43 PM

Sup nigaazzzz!!!

schizophrenicroom 01.31.2007 03:46 PM

what up, my token black friend?

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.31.2007 04:48 PM

today was a strange day.

schizophrenicroom 01.31.2007 05:04 PM

yeah, mine was a little out there.

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.31.2007 05:22 PM

but that's normal, because i'm a strange guy.

Hip Priest 01.31.2007 05:24 PM

You're back cdj! Hello, and hello to Jade too.

schizophrenicroom 01.31.2007 05:27 PM

hey sebastian

compulsive diarrhea, jico 01.31.2007 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hip Priest
You're back cdj!

Quote:

Originally Posted by compulsive diarrhea, jico
yeah i'm in the middle of some gipsy activity too,

i thought that i was about to move out of this apartment this week, more specifically today but the construction works in the house are not over yet.

good luck with your moving pork

hi seb,
guess you will have to wait a few more days to get rid of me :p

Hip Priest 01.31.2007 05:45 PM

Where are you off to?