Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Non-Sonics (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   The Mighty Football Thread (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=15453)

demonrail666 06.08.2019 04:48 AM

It looks more and more like paper-talk.

Checking the odds with the bookies, they have a lot of names linked to that job. but clear favourite is Frank Lampard (2/7), ahead of Viera (5/1), Allegri (4/1) and quite a few others before you get to NES (20/1). Even Mourinho's getting shorter odds (16/1), and there's about as much chance of him returning to Stamford Bridge as .... oh wait, it's Chelsea, who knows?

choc e-Claire 06.09.2019 03:37 PM

Australia lost in the 95th minute :(

choc e-Claire 06.11.2019 03:16 PM

The United States are currently up 7-0 against Thailand; who've had one shot all game. This is a little mean.

!@#$%! 06.11.2019 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
The United States are currently up 7-0 against Thailand; who've had one shot all game. This is a little mean.

damn

have i ever explained to you my beef theory of football success?

basically, the more beef you eat growing up the better you get to play

it’s all very logical, in my mind :D

demonrail666 06.11.2019 03:59 PM

Wouldn't that make Uruguay default winners of every World Cup?

!@#$%! 06.11.2019 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by demonrail666
Wouldn't that make Uruguay default winners of every World Cup?

yeah. per capita glory. they’re just few of them but they place well.

Bertrand 06.12.2019 12:14 PM

The USA eventually won the game 13-0...
Alex Morgan scored five...
I enjoyed a shy 2-0 Swedish victory over Chile while the US were having fun. The stadium wasn't sold out, far from it. People who came to France from as far as Chile made themselves heard, there were also lots of children.
Rain poured down violently early in the second half. Spectators decamped to higher dry places. I didn't move, out of sheer solidarity for the players and the stadium staff. I did open an umbrella once sure it wouldn't bother anyone behind me. The play stopped for over 30 minutes.
Weathermen are great: when they said play could start again, the last drops had just hit the ground.
Gonna go see Nigeria-France next monday. This one's been sold out for a while.

Peterpuff 06.12.2019 12:52 PM

Quote:

Australia lost in the 95th minute :(

Ya, that had to hurt a bit...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bertrand
Gonna go see Nigeria-France next monday. This one's been sold out for a while.

I thought France looked pretty solid in their opener. Should be a fun game to be at. Enjoy!

choc e-Claire 06.12.2019 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peterpuff
Ya, that had to hurt a bit...

It was e even more painful because Italy had a ton of attack and they were offside almost all the time, so the one time they weren't...
they'd even scored a goal in the 10th minute that was shut down by VAR.

Quote:

I thought France looked pretty solid in their opener. Should be a fun game to beat. Enjoy!

Based off that game; and the first fifteen minutes of the Norway game (0-0 at the moment) the French are playing very attacking football, so you should get an entertaining match. They'll go pretty far; although it's apparently going to end up as a France-United States quarter final (that'll take out a contender :D)

Peterpuff 06.12.2019 03:20 PM

Quote:

the French are playing very attacking football, so you should get an entertaining match. They'll go pretty far; although it's apparently going to end up as a France-United States quarter final (that'll take out a contender :D)

They are a very aggressive team, I agree. (bad joke time) Even aggressive towards their own goal. Ouch, that own goal might really hurt them...

choc e-Claire 06.12.2019 03:27 PM

Quote:

They are a very aggressive team, I agree. (bad joke time) Even aggressive towards their own goal. Ouch, that own goal might really hurt them...

I feel really bad for Renard, but her net contribution is still +1. :D

If this ends up 1-1 it's probably a better result for Norway - South Korea are the weakest team here, so the Norwegians can get a big win and top the group. The gap is pretty big between the Europeans and the others, though.

Oh shit, VAR penalty check!

choc e-Claire 06.12.2019 03:56 PM

2-1 France - they were the deserved winners, but there wasn't much in it. Norway were very competitive and there was a lot of flowing football; they'll do well against Korea next game and could probably give a few teams a shake in the knockouts.

How good is Le Sommer though? That was an awesomely taken penalty.it

Peterpuff 06.12.2019 04:02 PM

Quote:

How good is Le Sommer though? That was an awesomely taken penalty.it

Yeah, true. I am enjoying watching her. And also Renard. US announcers during their first game mentioned she was the tallest player in the World Cup right now. Her header during that game really showed what an advantage she might have.

Either way, I am quite looking forward to watching France through this tournament.

!@#$%! 06.12.2019 04:02 PM

so when does the group stage end?

Peterpuff 06.12.2019 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by !@#$%!
so when does the group stage end?

A few weeks. "Round of 16" games are scheduled 6/22 it looks like.

!@#$%! 06.12.2019 04:17 PM

thanks!

choc e-Claire 06.12.2019 04:56 PM

Looking at the fixture, Australia will probably play Norway in the Round of 16. :(

h8kurdt 06.13.2019 03:43 AM

Just looked at the Everton fixtures for next season. Fuck me December is awful

Liverpool
Chelsea
Man utd
Arsenal
Burnley
Newcastle
Man City

That's up to the 1st January.

demonrail666 06.13.2019 05:34 AM

That's horrible! No other word for it.

West Ham's opening game is against Man C but there I don't see a block of really bad fixtures all season.

_tunic_ 06.13.2019 12:31 PM

Why was that 3rd Australia goal valid? It was so very much offside!
Nonetheless Ido hope they will win it