Sonic Youth Gossip

Sonic Youth Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/index.php)
-   Sonic Gossip (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Chelsea Light Moving (http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/showthread.php?t=79085)

Magic Wheel Memory 04.15.2013 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nefeli
this is a very nice way to put it.
i remember i was thinking, when psychic hearts came out and i liked the record at the time- that he did it for more selfish reasons. selfish, doesnt exactly mean smth bad here. that he liked so much his poppy ways and he had the need to play more of it, so he did it outside the band.

How do you get your profile to show that you have over 2 billion posts?

RanaldoNecro 04.16.2013 02:32 PM

There is a distinct moment during Frank O' Hara that you expect things to take off...It is so strikingly similar to the song Washing Machine. But it doesn't and I kinda wish that it did.

starts at about 1:35

zelocia 04.16.2013 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RanaldoNecro
There is a distinct moment during Frank O' Hara that you expect things to take off...It is so strikingly similar to the song Washing Machine. But it doesn't and I kinda wish that it did.

starts at about 1:35

I agree. I think that Frank O'Hara Hit is my least favorite CLM moving song. Which is ironic because I know all of the lyrics to it by heart. At the Other Music show Thutston sang "July 25" and then he forgot the next line (Bobby Dylan, as when he performs that song live he never follows the first line with "Sunday night" as he does in the recorded version) and he asked me what it was and I told him. One of the best moments of my life.

Genteel Death 04.16.2013 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
How do you get your profile to show that you have over 2 billion posts?

by being on here 2 billion times.

Mortte Jousimo 04.17.2013 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
Is Chelsea Light Moving the same sort of deal as Thurston Moore's solo songwriter records?

I think CLM is very much Thurston project, because he has made all the songs alone. I think like some other great artists itīs like continuing of the great tradition. Or then same kind of evolve-process as there has been with SY (for example Syr 1 & 2 to ATL). In Psychic Hearts there are same elements as in CLM-album, but those elements are really raw when comparing it CLM. But I like them both much, itīs hard to me say which is better album. Also Demolished is very different album as CLM, but you can easily regognise them both Thurston albums.

jon boy 04.17.2013 07:06 PM

from what i hear its just meh. not really ground breakingly amazing and just middle of the road stuff that i am sure many easily satisfied folks will think is great. middle of the road.

chrome noise tape 04.20.2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
I think CLM is very much Thurston project, because he has made all the songs alone. I think like some other great artists itīs like continuing of the great tradition. Or then same kind of evolve-process as there has been with SY (for example Syr 1 & 2 to ATL). In Psychic Hearts there are same elements as in CLM-album, but those elements are really raw when comparing it CLM. But I like them both much, itīs hard to me say which is better album. Also Demolished is very different album as CLM, but you can easily regognise them both Thurston albums.

true

Genteel Death 04.29.2013 08:31 AM

Vive Le Cheat Rock!

The Soup Nazi 05.07.2013 08:29 PM

Christgau's review:

Quote:

Chelsea Light Moving: Chelsea Light Moving (Matador)

For better or worse, and it's both, this is kind of what you'd figure sort of: a Sonic Youth record dominated by that band's most important member. It's also a record that makes us love Steve Shelley, because John Mooney's drums never propel Thurston past virtual pogo territory‑-and that says nothing of what a nice change it used to be to have someone besides Thurston sing. Imagine that "Sleeping Where I Fall" addresses his former bassist-wife if you want, but believe that the whole album is conceived as a bohemian history lesson. Present and accounted for are a flower child who prefers her music free, a song by Darby Crash, a song about Darby Crash, a song to William S. Burroughs, a song linking Dylan to Frank O'Hara, and "Groovy & Linda," who FYI were real hippie speed freaks surnamed Hutchinson and Fitzpatrick who were murdered in a boiler room two blocks from my apartment in 1967. B PLUS

noisereductions 05.07.2013 08:44 PM

^I think "most important member" is lame. I love SY more than any band ever. And what I love is how much each member matters. (I've always said the same about the Pixies as well).

I do like the CLM album though. And I'd most likely agree with teh score.

_tunic_ 05.10.2013 04:25 PM

Mortte Jousimo 05.10.2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noisereductions
^I think "most important member" is lame. I love SY more than any band ever. And what I love is how much each member matters. (I've always said the same about the Pixies as well).

I do like the CLM album though. And I'd most likely agree with teh score.

I agree. Also I like a lot Moloneysīs drumming. When Steve has very good basic style to SY, I think John has more interesting way to play.

_tunic_ 05.16.2013 12:27 PM

Chelsea Light Moving debut “Lip” video

May 16th, 2013 at 10:00 am by Nils

Thurston Moore and his merry band of agitators offer this opening salvo for a springtime revolution, 2013:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...v=hkt6jTwzvJo#!

Directed by Eva at Ecstatic Peace Library

TheMadcapLaughs 05.16.2013 12:51 PM

interesting little interview with thurston:

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/ne...youth-20130516

edit: i guess moshe was on it already!

SonikJesus 05.16.2013 09:32 PM

This bands pretty boring. I think thurstons trying too hard too sound punky. the lyrics are lame and the riffs are just tired predictable thurston riffs. Lips sux so much ass I think

tesla69 05.20.2013 09:28 AM

Its taking some time but I'm warming up the album - to your points Sonikjesus, it is the familiarity I like -

guest 05.21.2013 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tesla69
Its taking some time but I'm warming up the album - to your points Sonikjesus, it is the familiarity I like -

it's this familiarity that really kills it for me. I remember someone saying on here when burroughs came out that they couldn't help but yearn for steve's drumming, and when I listen to clm I find it fucking intolerable because it is an exercise in all of thurston's negative qualities which would have been otherwise reined in by lee, kim and steve.

sonikdeathmonkey 05.21.2013 05:04 PM

Saw them "live" here in Mpls. about a month ago. Thought they were fan fuckin' tastic. Thurston said he needed a beer and asked if anyone else wanted one. Went backstage and came out with some PBR Tallboys and started handing them out indiscriminately. The guys divorced and trying to soldier on, why harsh on his mellow?

The Soup Nazi 05.22.2013 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
that Lip song is horrible. fucking horrible. period.

I LOVE that song!

Mortte Jousimo 05.23.2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
I LOVE that song!

Me Too!

raiinking 05.23.2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
that Lip song is horrible. fucking horrible. period.

I'm with you on this one asskiss.

Jesus!

Groovy and Linda or Burroughs would have made MUCH better first videos or singles. Lip is just no good. Thurston writing protest songs isn't always my favorite. Youth Against Fascism is like one of my least favorite sy songs.

really though that video makes it worse too. It looks like a shitty rip of an old sy video. It looks like a midlife crisis. apparently she(eva) directed it.

Toilet & Bowels 05.23.2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raiinking
It looks like a shitty rip of an old sy video. It looks like a midlife crisis.

Nah, an old SY video would have been much better. But yeah on the other bit, sadly.

_tunic_ 06.13.2013 05:25 PM

Just got back from seeing CLM at the Trix in Antwerp. They were great, definitely the best time ever that I've seen this band (that's including the tours for the previous two solo albums)
Haven't been keeping a close eye on the recent setlists, so not sure if this is the first time they played them, but they played one or two new songs (as in not on the CLM album). One of them had the lyrics of this poem

Look out for a splendid recording soon :)
it may take a few weeks though, so be patient

:D first Lee tomorrow :cool: and the day after! :D

stu666 06.13.2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_
Just got back from seeing CLM at the Trix in Antwerp. They were great, definitely the best time ever that I've seen this band (that's including the tours for the previous two solo albums)
Haven't been keeping a close eye on the recent setlists, so not sure if this is the first time they played them, but they played one or two new songs (as in not on the CLM album). One of them had the lyrics of this poem

:D first Lee tomorrow :cool: and the day after! :D

I look forward to yr recording!

They've played The Ecstasy before a few times now and Sunday Stage. I'm seeing CLM tomorrow and Monday, hopefully I record both too...

sy2004 06.13.2013 11:53 PM

CLM in Trix last night was excellent, The Ecstasy and Sunday Stage were both played. Looking forward to hear the gig again, so thanks in advance _tunic_.
Have great time too stu666

sirki 06.14.2013 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by _tunic_

first Lee tomorrow :cool: and the day after! :D

It was an excellent gig last night. I enjoyed every second of it. They also played 'No Go' last night, a 3rd song that's not on the album.

Really, really looking forward to your recording :) ... it's gonna make me revive the concert in full glory no doubt.

I saw a copy of the new 'Acting Maggot'-vinyl at the merch boot. Unfortunately for me, it was sold right before my eyes ... maybe one of you guys bought it? It looked great. I did buy the CD-version of it though.
Also bought 'Irish American Prayer' by Moore/Moloney. Didn't have that one. I thought there was a lot of stuff for sale.

Enjoy tonight's concert of Lee, I'll be at Saterday's gig only.

stu666 06.14.2013 03:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirki
I saw a copy of the new 'Acting Maggot'-vinyl at the merch boot. Unfortunately for me, it was sold right before my eyes ... maybe one of you guys bought it? It looked great. I did buy the CD-version of it though.

Do you know how much the vinyl was?

sirki 06.14.2013 03:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
Do you know how much the vinyl was?

I'm not totally sure because I saw it in a flash, but I think it was 60 euro.

_tunic_ 06.14.2013 04:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sirki
I'm not totally sure because I saw it in a flash, but I think it was 60 euro.

it was indeed
see you on Saturday ;)

stu666 06.14.2013 07:56 PM

Caught on Tape LP (art edition) was Ģ60. There was 4 different t-shirts for sale, a couple of art booklets by John Moloney and a Sunburned Hand cd (edition of 10) for Ģ40. I wish I had more money!

_tunic_ 06.15.2013 02:52 AM

edition of 10? I missed that one. Sorry Martin ;)

stu666 06.16.2013 05:34 AM

Some nice photos of CLM at Village Underground by Ely

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elycoll...7634155675998/

ALIEN ANAL 06.17.2013 09:04 AM

I enjoy the album for the most part.

Find my self listening to Sleeping Where I Fall, Groovy and Linda and Alighted a lot at the moment.

stu666 06.18.2013 10:55 AM

At last nights show they dropped the price of the Caught On Tape LP to Ģ50 and the Sunburned CD to Ģ30 so I got both...

halgreen 06.18.2013 12:33 PM

Nice! What's the Sunburned CD called?

stu666 06.18.2013 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halgreen
Nice! What's the Sunburned CD called?

Backstage/Relaxing. John told me it's what wasn't put on the Sunburned/Bill Nace cassette.... I haven't had time to listen yet but I'll post some better photos in the Sunburned thread...

Here's what I got (plus a t-shirt) last night and friday

halgreen 06.18.2013 01:03 PM

Nice! That looks like a pretty cool pic of T.

stu666 06.18.2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by halgreen
Nice! That looks like a pretty cool pic of T.

The Summer My Father - Poems from the early 2000s - Thurston Moore - Ecstatic Peace Library - Edition of 100

tesla69 06.18.2013 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stu666
a couple of art booklets by John Moloney !

OM had one of these last time I was in, about $10 I think.

I thought my art chapbook was better so I didn't buy his.

scott v 06.19.2013 03:41 PM

I think a US Fall tour is coming up... Buffalo, NY show was announced for Sept. 13th.