Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How were you introduced to Sonic Youth?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.07.2008, 12:00 PM   #41
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
87...friend had Daydream Nation on tape.

What, a year before it was released?

I had been vaguely aware of them for a while (I remember seeing one of the pics from the inside sleeve of Master=Dik in a magazine and trying to imagine what sort of fucked-up noise a band that looks like that would make!) but my first exposure was at a schoolfriend's party sometime around '94/95 where the host's older brother and friends were sitting around upstairs taking mushrooms & watching 1991:TYTPB. My Nirvana-worshipping mind was blown wide-open and I've never looked back since...
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 12:07 PM   #42
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
It was 2002, i was 14, and Murray Street had just come out.

I bought Screaming Fields Of Sonic Love, and loved them instantly.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 02:38 PM   #43
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I remember hearing Plastic Sun on a compilation when I was 8/9 and thought it was the worst thing I had ever heard. Fast forward 4 or 5 years and my aunt is telling me that Sonic Youth are "one of the coolest and greatest rock bands to exist" and that I should "really try and get into them."

One trip to the store, came back with Daydream Nation and that was that.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.08.2008, 12:22 AM   #44
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Sonic Youth was a name I'd known since I'd started getting into bands like the Ramones and Television. I think I went onto the iTunes store and listened to a 30 second sample of Teen Age Riot, but I didn't think much of it (the only bit you could listen to was Kim's intro, I thought it was boring). Later, the Silver Rockets & Kool Things: 20 Years of Sonic Youth documentary was being shown on TV. I watched it, I thought SY were pretty cool. Again I listened to Teen Age Riot on iTunes, but I still didn't like it much, it wasn't as good as it was when I watched the documentary. Eventually I went out and bought Daydream Nation, I loved it etc.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth