Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Are there any art nerds here?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.20.2008, 09:20 AM   #61
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
again that's not true at all, or maybe its just very different in Australia. Lots of galleries here, that I visit frequently, and have been a part of, and even including our state gallery, regularly hang large works in this manor. Setting a higher price for a framed work is usually selling yourself short, because the amount it costs to have a frame made, usually exceeds the extra money people will want to pay for the work. Unless you are selling your work above the 5k mark, you could almost be paying more for framing than for the work itself. Most printmaking galleries here ONLY sell works unframed. They deal with hundreds of professional printers, and it is unrealistic to represent people if every person whose work you carry, has it mounted in a bulky frame.

I'm not sure why you keep saying in your decades or 20 years experience, as I might only be 24, but have been fairly involved in my own city's art scene for the last 10 years. It might just come down to different countries or cities do things differently, because I am going by what I see every day in the galleries in my city, and what I have experience with when I participate in shows.

I still don't agree with a piece of work demanding more if it is painted with oils, though again we just see things differently. IMHO it has more to do with what medium best suits the imagery the artist is creating, as to how much money it will fetch.

Really I was more wanting to talk about art techniques and mediums than debate about how works on paper are hung or the price of oil vs other media though.

I think you are making the wrong assumption. Of course I use the medium that best suits what I am trying to create. all I wa sstating was a generalization bease on 20+ years of going to art galleries. most galleries I have been to or known or worked with will charge at least double for an oil of any given size than for a watercolor of that size, or a pen and ink drawing. if that is not your experence, then more power to australia, but in the usa that's how it goes.

i thin ti is about durability. oils last longer, fade less, are more resistant to water damage, etc.
Old 10.21.2008, 10:36 PM   #62
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
right here

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth