Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What effects do you use!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.16.2006, 12:16 AM   #21
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
my pedal board has 5 pedals on it. The green sovtek big muff, Mister Crybaby volume wah, Boss Mega distortion, Boss Super Chorus, and Ibanez Digital delay which I may replace with the super chunky boss one
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 05:43 AM   #22
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
boos dd5 , mxr disrotion, crybaby . i donot use these on guitar but on a roland hpd 15
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 07:59 AM   #23
JazzyJeff
little trouble girl

JazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's assesJazzyJeff kicks all y'all's asses
i cant afford anything
JazzyJeff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 08:05 AM   #24
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like effects. Awful things. Get a delay pedal and you're a post-rock band. Get a distortion pedal and you're a metal band. Get a blues driver and you're a britpop band.

Heaven forbid anyone should learn to play their fucking guitars.

Sorry, this isn't directed at anyone here, but I know so many musicians who constantly moan that their playing isn't good enough because they don't have the right equipment. Truth is, if you can't play the instrument, you can't play the instrument, and no amount of money spent is gonna change that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 08:50 AM   #25
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Very true Glice, about having to learn to play. I really hate it when people come on effects message boards and ask how to get a certain sound. Or people who ask what sitar effects are good. Why don't you learn how to get your guitar to sound like a sitar as much as you can by your fretting style, pick attack, as well as use of drones before you run off and buy some piece of crap flanger that says "sitar" on it.

I began learning on an acoustic than got an electric a few months later. My amp didn't have channel switching and I hated the way its overdrive sounded, so I got a blues driver.

Then awhile later when reading I came across the term ring modulation. So I decided I wanted a ring modulator just because it was so wierd. So I got one.

Then my reverb on my amp stopped working, and I needed a quick replacement, because now my sound was different. The guitar shop only had a delay, and it was impressive. So I bought it.

Then I found that screwing with the knobs made crazy noises, so I bought a broken wah to make into an expression pedal for it. But the wah worked, so I kept it a wah, and got a keyboard volume pedal instead.

And everything is history from there. I have really bad luck with delays, when I modded that one, I put it in a crappy enclosure so that a year later, I accidentally broke it getting out of bed and stepping on with full force. So I got another analog delay that just crapped out on me a few days ago, and a digital delay that was DOA.

Then I got a tremolo and an octaver because they were really good deals. My friend gave me a chorus pedal because he didn't want it anymore.

But I've gone back and forth between using pedals and not using pedals, and I think doing both things has improved my playing.

You really have to learn not just to turn your pedals on and get a sound, but how to play them and how to get your own personal sound out of them.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 09:06 AM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
Very true Glice, about having to learn to play. I really hate it when people come on effects message boards and ask how to get a certain sound. Or people who ask what sitar effects are good. Why don't you learn how to get your guitar to sound like a sitar as much as you can by your fretting style, pick attack, as well as use of drones before you run off and buy some piece of crap flanger that says "sitar" on it.

I began learning on an acoustic than got an electric a few months later. My amp didn't have channel switching and I hated the way its overdrive sounded, so I got a blues driver.

Then awhile later when reading I came across the term ring modulation. So I decided I wanted a ring modulator just because it was so wierd. So I got one.

Then my reverb on my amp stopped working, and I needed a quick replacement, because now my sound was different. The guitar shop only had a delay, and it was impressive. So I bought it.

Then I found that screwing with the knobs made crazy noises, so I bought a broken wah to make into an expression pedal for it. But the wah worked, so I kept it a wah, and got a keyboard volume pedal instead.

And everything is history from there. I have really bad luck with delays, when I modded that one, I put it in a crappy enclosure so that a year later, I accidentally broke it getting out of bed and stepping on with full force. So I got another analog delay that just crapped out on me a few days ago, and a digital delay that was DOA.

Then I got a tremolo and an octaver because they were really good deals. My friend gave me a chorus pedal because he didn't want it anymore.

But I've gone back and forth between using pedals and not using pedals, and I think doing both things has improved my playing.

You really have to learn not just to turn your pedals on and get a sound, but how to play them and how to get your own personal sound out of them.

Hehe. It's probably a lot easier to get a sitar-type sound without any pedals, just use an open C tuning and learn some of the scales and play them on the treble strings, close to the bridge, preferably with fingerpicking but you'd get a good sound from a heavy pick.

Whoops, trade secrets out there.

What mystefies me most is how people want to get effects to sound like someone else. Fair enough for a covers band, or someone who only wants to play one bands songs, but for anyone who has even the slightest inkling that they might want to do their own stuff, it's just ridiculous.

I've had pedals, they both broke, so I play without them now, if I play electric at all. I find if I borrow a mate's pedals I can't play half of the things I like to play... I have a fuck-off amp, and that's enough for me, thanks.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 05.16.2006, 10:16 AM   #27
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
I used to use a DOD TEC8 guitar effects processor, BOSS Metal Zone, Flanger, Digital Delay.
Old 05.16.2006, 03:55 PM   #28
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Glice you're right but you also seem to have the anti viewpoint on not using any effects however that is your decision... and basically you are implying you don't really play electric so logically you wouldn't use any effects.

I write almost everything on acoustic, that is if i'm doing non improvised, more structured composed pieces. sometimes i'll use an electric thru the clean channel on my amp (i always use clean channel anyways). and then go from there, but obviously certain styles ask for certain effects most obviously distortion (which doesn't always necessarily mean going "metal", this kinda statement usually mean you don't know how to use effects which is just an art as learning guitar playing technique).

you can do alot w/ effects most interestingly is you can extend the sound of guitar away from its original intent in an interesting way.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 04:34 PM   #29
Glice
invito al cielo

Yeah, I like taking a hard line on these things. I do use electric, it's just not the first thing I reach for. I have a cavacade of ideas based upon the use of the guitar as an electro-acoustic source - I can make weird sounds without relying upon someone else's circuit boards (or circuit boards at all for that matter).

Like I say, I'm not laying into anyone here, but I do think that if you want to make your guitar sound different, unique, stand out from the crowd, then you should look to what your hands are doing first and spread out from there.

Perhaps I should elaborate - say you want to play in a West African style - a lot of people would listen to the records and then attempt to emulate the style by buggering about with the amp and using maybe a reveb or a ring-mod. However, styles such as those are all about the pressure of the hands, the patterns with the left, the intricacy of the right. So, while I may not have the exact sound down pat, in looking to the mechanics of the music, I am better able to emulate the technique.

But yes, otherwise, points taken with due humility.

Quote:
Old 05.16.2006, 04:45 PM   #30
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses

Boss Phase Shifter was my first pedal. Aw. I have a broken RockTek chorus pedal, and the obviously awesome MXR Blue Box.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:02 PM   #31
next step
the destroyed room

next step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's assesnext step kicks all y'all's asses
eheh, take a read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Muff
Old 05.16.2006, 06:04 PM   #32
Mildred Pierce
little trouble girl

Mildred Pierce ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftomorrow
shameless self-promotion. i love it.

exactly, hopefully you people won't feel offended by this.

http://www.myspace.com/judyandthecrackheads
Mildred Pierce is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2006, 06:16 PM   #33
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
ive only got two distortion boxes. the danelectro pastrami overdrive and the boss ODB-3. i dont have a job so thats why im low, just went in for an interview today though! think i got the job, so ill defiantly have more stuff in the future

i got the scematics and im building a joystick oscillating tone generater and a optical thermin. i read about modding and tape deck for inputs and it will give you overdrive through the ying yang so ill be doing that tonight.

also the mixer im looking at getting has about 100 different effects built-in which should be fun.
Old 05.16.2006, 06:26 PM   #34
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
im sort of a minimalist when it comes to guitar. Just my guitar and a loud old amp....
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 04:36 AM   #35
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
i've got a Marshalll Mode Four half stack, so i use the effects pedal with that, its here in this pic over the head, and also i use. a boss

phase shifter.......like so

Old 05.17.2006, 04:44 AM   #36
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
i use

BigMuff Sovtek
EH Frequenzy Analyzer
ProCo RAT II

and my Small Clone is broken
fuck it
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 05:11 AM   #37
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
side effects

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth