Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Feedback on my music, please.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.28.2009, 05:38 PM   #1
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Howdy fellas. I've been working a bunch of new music lately, the culmination of which I've put on my band's myspace, www.myspace.com/fauxhemiansband

Could you give me some constructive criticism please? In regards to production, mainly, though if you have anything else to offer then go ahead. Thanks in advance.

Oh and I already know I don't sing like a scouser.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2009, 05:41 PM   #2
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
i listened to your myspace a week or so ago and remember liking it
ill check it out again tomorrow so that ill be able to say something a bit deeper about it

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Did you just post Epitath a few minutes ago? I think I was the first to listen to it!

I really like the production! I think "rootsy" sounding music (if I can call it that) sounds better with a raw, organic or even live sound, rather than slick production. I think my favorite production is on Epitath, You Pose You Lose and Home I'll Never Be. I like it when there's a bit of echo in the vocals and it sounds like you're in a room. Great songs, too!
Old 02.28.2009, 06:00 PM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Ah thanks. It sounds that organic because I recorded it all in my bedroom with cheap microphones. And yeah, I just posted that song, haha! And I think I know what you mean about those songs being better produced, the other two were really rushed when we recorded them.
Old 02.28.2009, 06:19 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
It's alright. Not my sort of thing. Can I suggest you get hideously pissed and record the same songs? I mean, I don't think you're going for the Country Teasers thing, but the way you're playing doesn't have much swing. There's a need for some malice in there somewhere along the lines.

Or record them on a tape player (sans drums, obviously)? There's something quite sterile about the mics you've used. They're not noticably bottoming out or anything, but they're not crystal clear either.

None of this is criticisms, particularly, but you did ask.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2009, 06:33 PM   #6
sarramkrop

The good things: You can obviously play/sing, and seem confident at both. Plus you have a grasp of the dynamics required to write songs.

The bad things: You sing with faux-American accents, which is a put off since you were born and live in Liverpool. I'm not really into the songs, but one of them ('Pose The Pose') kind of reminded of Hefner. I have a feeling that if you got rid of the 'Americanisms', you could do greater things. What I'm basically trying to say is that you need to sound more like yourselves.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2009, 06:42 PM   #7
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
The good things: You can obviously play and sing, and seem confident at both. Plus you have a grasp of the dynamics required to write songs.

The bad things: You sing with faux-American accents, which is a put off since you were born and live in Liverpool. I'm not really into the songs, but one of them ('Pose The Pose') kind of reminded of Hefner. I have a feeling that if you got rid of the 'Americanisms', you could do greater things. What I'm basically trying to say is that you need to sound more like yourselves.

Yes. I'm 100% in agreement with this.

Hefner were awesome, weren't they?

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 02.28.2009, 06:56 PM   #8
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
It's alright. Not my sort of thing. Can I suggest you get hideously pissed and record the same songs? I mean, I don't think you're going for the Country Teasers thing, but the way you're playing doesn't have much swing. There's a need for some malice in there somewhere along the lines.

Or record them on a tape player (sans drums, obviously)? There's something quite sterile about the mics you've used. They're not noticably bottoming out or anything, but they're not crystal clear either.

Ah yeah, you got me, recording on digital with cheap mics. I do need better equipment and tape does sound warmer. My tape recorder only has 4 tracks though, and I need more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

Point taken. Let me sort of explain myself here- well not explain, but maybe excuse. The Beatles, The Teardrop Explodes, Echo And The Bunnymen- do any of them really sound like scousers? The Beatles could have easily been American and the other two sound like they're from down south. The 'Americanisms' you speak of are sort of ingrained in the style of the music I'm working with, who inspires me, et cetera. John Fogerty was born and raised in California but he sounds like he's from the deep south because thats who he wants to be. I wasn't aiming for a Liverpudlian take on country pop- in all truth I have no home pride. I can really understand why it would be a put-off, but I just think that is performance art and not exactly a mirror of who I actually am, just an alter ego.
Old 02.28.2009, 07:04 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

I am Kloot. Massively under-rated band, very scouse.

Cast. Utterly shite.

It's a tightrope, I'll give you that.

Quote:
Old 02.28.2009, 07:15 PM   #10
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Mmm yes. Wait, isn't Elvis Costello from Liverpool? I seem to have that factoid stuck in my head but it doesn't sound right.

Other shit bands from Liverpool include (but are not limited to) The Zutons, The Coral, Ladytron, Frankie Goes To Hollywood, The La's, Gerry And The Pacemakers, etc.
Old 02.28.2009, 07:22 PM   #11
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

(if thats not what you were going for, I'd say either take it one direction more country and buy some more johny cash and woody guthrie albums, or go more blues and pick up some ottis redding and skip james)

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.28.2009, 07:38 PM   #12
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Is there meant to be an image there? I don't see one.
Old 02.28.2009, 07:39 PM   #13
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Is there meant to be an image there? I don't see one.

Old 02.28.2009, 07:40 PM   #14
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Haha, my favourite album.. awesome.
Old 02.28.2009, 07:42 PM   #15
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Haha, my favourite album.. awesome.

you succeeded entirely

other advice:

work on the timing a little bit more, smooth everything out and revisit.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth