Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Henry Miller - No fan of new york
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.02.2009, 02:57 PM   #21
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
From you, this astonishes me. Miller, I maintain, was like the beats but had a much firmer grip on his subservience to better writers. By which I mean he dicks about with stream of consciousness but doesn't quite turn into the mawkish terror that is Kerouac. He talks like a snake-oil charmer but is just Jewish enough to get away with it - sorry, Burroughs acolytes. Also, he's a bit of a pathetic character, something I've always found lacking from a lot of American writers - someone like Easton-Ellis always heads towards this pseudo-nihilism that just galls.

Ok, so I've just insulted most of your taste in books, but a lot of you really need to stop reading like a 19-year-old.

The thing about him being pathetic. See I agree with that, and it's usually something that endears me to a person/writer. With Miller though (and admittedly it was a long time ago when i read him) I always felt it was a bit too heroic in its pathetic-ness. A bit posturing. Like a down on his luck Hemingway (another writer I don't get on with). He's certainly less irritating than Kerouac though (although they're ultimately so different that they're almost incomparable).

I'll give Miller another try this summer though.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth