Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Alice in Wonderland Trailer...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.24.2009, 03:55 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Regarding Tim Burton running out of ideas... it's not just Burton, it's Hollywood in general. This is a tired rant. But jesus -- remakes, sequels to films no one wants sequels to, etc. This has extended to video games as well (no original ideas, 48 out of the top 50 best selling games of the year last year were sequels/franchise reboots). I don't really pay attention, but I suspect "popular" music and "popular" books and "popular" "art" is the same: dying. The rising cost of everything means that taking any risks whatsoever can make you bankrupt. There is an upside though, of course: while to really "stand out" in the various art worlds, you have to keep making things more expensive and more.. ridiculous... it also means that last-generation (or last-last-generation.. or last-last-last-last-infinity-generation) equipment is cheap as fuck, so there's always going to be some people in the underground using that to make wonderful products. Note the downloadable video games, the rise of amazing no budget films, the INSANE creativity in underground music on display, etc. Sadly, it's hard to get all the shit out there... the internet helps, right? Of course. But there's SO MUCH SHIT to wade through now that it's really next to impossible to stand out amongst all the shit-auteurs.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 08:20 AM   #22
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Regarding Tim Burton running out of ideas... it's not just Burton, it's Hollywood in general. This is a tired rant. But jesus -- remakes, sequels to films no one wants sequels to, etc. This has extended to video games as well (no original ideas, 48 out of the top 50 best selling games of the year last year were sequels/franchise reboots). I don't really pay attention, but I suspect "popular" music and "popular" books and "popular" "art" is the same: dying. The rising cost of everything means that taking any risks whatsoever can make you bankrupt. There is an upside though, of course: while to really "stand out" in the various art worlds, you have to keep making things more expensive and more.. ridiculous... it also means that last-generation (or last-last-generation.. or last-last-last-last-infinity-generation) equipment is cheap as fuck, so there's always going to be some people in the underground using that to make wonderful products. Note the downloadable video games, the rise of amazing no budget films, the INSANE creativity in underground music on display, etc. Sadly, it's hard to get all the shit out there... the internet helps, right? Of course. But there's SO MUCH SHIT to wade through now that it's really next to impossible to stand out amongst all the shit-auteurs.
You have to first have original ideas before you can run out of ideas. So its Burton as usual.
Old 07.24.2009, 08:54 AM   #23
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses

This is the one I'm waiting for.

Sasha Grey in 'Malice in Lalaland'

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 09:06 AM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
MMMM

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 11:17 AM   #25
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses

Please come around here some more
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 11:52 AM   #26
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
^At first glance I thought that was Drea De Matteo of Sopranos fame.

Burton has definitely made some fun/gorgeous movies (Edward Scissorhands, Beetlejuice, Sleepy Hollow) but in the last several years he's been on a downward spiral.

This Alice nonsense is gonna make a ton though. It will apparently be a 3D Imax event... Burton's gonna have even more money to finance the next project with his muse, Depp.

Allegedly the two will be joining forces for a "re-imagining" of Dark Shadows, with Depp as Barnabas?
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 11:52 AM   #27
Jeremy
100%

Jeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's assesJeremy kicks all y'all's asses
I had a friend who wore that exact same costume for Halloween. I went to a party with her and every guy was staring at her drunkely. She herself got plastered, I was drinking some Dr. Pepper (I don't drink), and she said (Very drunkely): "Jeremy, I love you!.... Can I have some of.... the.... Dr. Pepper?!?!?!". Before I could answer she drinks some and it tasted disgusting after that. The whole thing was a very funny experience.

As for the movie, fuck it! Tim Burton is a three trick pony. He likes to make all of his movies the same weird stupid "arty" pieces of crap and all of his hardcore fans call him the best ever because he constantly does the same movie over and over. He never shows any respect for the original story: Look at either Batman movie he did, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, etc. These are nothing like they were or are supposed to be: He just wanted to turn it into one of his "masterpieces" so all of his dumb teenage hot topic fans who have never read or seen the original Alice in Wonderland will talk about how great the movie is and how faithful it is to the story. The Mad Hatter picture is a joke.

Speaking of the Mad Hatter, I love the scene with him and the March Hare from the original Disney movie. "Mustard?!?!?!?!?!?!?"

~Jeremy~

Jeremy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 03:44 PM   #28
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the trailer and it looks sort of dumb, really. It looks more like a sequel of some kind than a remake, and that's pretty dumb for obvious reasons. It also looks like it will be overloaded with CGI, most likely meaning it will be unrealistic now and look incredibly dated in 2 years. What is WITH all the CGI nowadays? It never looks good and it only gets worse with time.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 04:20 PM   #29
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
"Beetlejuice" is one of those films I fondly remembered for years and then went back and watched kinda recently and discovered it's not nearly as good as I remember. I think the most interesting thing about it is how Beatlegeuse is only in the movie for 11 minutes (of a 100 minute movie about him). Always found that interesting for whatever reason.

of course those 11 minutes are gold
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth