Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Visiting Athens
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.27.2010, 08:04 AM   #1
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to stay in Athens from Dec, 28 till Dec, 31. Is there anything I shouldn't miss in terms of concerts/exhibitions? Any nice clubs/pubs?

Thank You
Gulasch Noir is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2010, 08:07 AM   #2
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
nefeli might help you out with this

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2010, 08:57 AM   #3
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
R.E.M. and The B-52s are from there... maybe one of them will play a local show?
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2010, 09:47 AM   #4
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
you mean athens, ohio?
Old 12.27.2010, 10:06 AM   #5
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
he could still change his mind and travel to Prague instead

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2010, 10:14 AM   #6
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

... or Holland for that matter.
Rotterdam for instance is a "nice place to live!".
Old 12.27.2010, 10:17 AM   #7
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

On a serious note, this is what my last.fm event recommendations say for Athens, GRRRRR.

Friday 14 January 2011
Giuseppe Ielasi
Knot Gallery
Athens, Greece

Thursday 3 February 2011
Om
Gagarin 205
Athens, Greece

Saturday 12 February 2011
Jooklo Duo, Blood Stereo, XYSM
Knot Gallery
Athens, Greece

Saturday 9 April 2011
Electric Wizard
Gagarin 205
Athens, Greece

Thursday 14 April 2011
Swans
Gagarin 205
Athens, Greece

The dates aren't very useful to you of course, but maybe check out the venues listed to see what else they have on.
Old 12.27.2010, 01:57 PM   #8
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Gulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's assesGulasch Noir kicks all y'all's asses
Alright, thanks for your replies. Concerning the last.fm hint - I could have guessed myself and will take a look.

Concerning the strike issue - I'm not too worried about it at all. If they strike on the 31., we'll just stay another day or two. We have stand-by tickets.

Looking forward for warmer temperatures!
Old 12.27.2010, 02:18 PM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

oh.. wrong Athens.. I thought you meant Athens, California, the city that gave birth to the Bloods

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2010, 08:49 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

oh.. wrong Athens.. I thought you meant Athens, California, the city that gave birth to the Bloods

by the way, did you notice by coincidence that Athens Park blockboi was throwin up the Westside? Why would he throw up westside on the westside? Thats because that whole 90s Westside vs Eastside was a misunderstanding. It initially had nothing to do with westcoast vs eastcoast, rather it was a localized LA gang culture thing, westside vs eastside los angeles. The westside (areas west of 110 fwy) tend to largely be blood neighborhoods and other indy black gang sets, and the eastside (east of the 110 fwy) tend to be Crip neighborhoods but mostly sureno mexican gang hoodz. In the 80s and early 90s the Crips and Bloods were notoriously feuding with an unimaginable murder rate (this is because firearms suddenly and mysterious became more widely available, around the same coincidental time the Contra scandal about secret govt arms running was around and the crack scandal.. hmm?!) and so there was heavy westside vs eastside beef here in LA.

Rappers like Tupac (who was affiliated largely with westside pirus, athens and other bloods via suge knight etc) really misunderstood this local situation initially, and it blew up in the media in the wrong direction. Once it caught momentum it evolved into a coastal rivalry and became unavoidable and self-defining, but initially it was a local thang..

this has been street science..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2011, 11:00 AM   #11
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
i meant the public transportation strikes.
however, it looks like its going to be a quiet week. the metro you are going to use and it will be working normally.

areas you will walk, thisio, plaka (under acropolis, i guess you ll go there and to its museum), monastiraki, psiri, gazi.
psiri and gazi are filled with bars near their metro stations.
gazi is a carnival especially during saturday nights, i prefer priri. (monastiraki metro station).
few names
http://www.bios.gr/
http://sixdogs.gr/
both work as bars. sixdogs has a nice back yard, check it out if weather allows.
astron in psiri is easygoing - music electronic, friends have it and i go often.
kolonaki, the posh area/market of centre. bars there too, i only have been to a gay one recently. called popcorn. if i dont go to a party on new years, might end up there.

http://www.nationalgallery.gr/site/content.php?sel=608

http://www.athensguide.com/
dunno if this will help. hopefully for the basics.

and yeah..no gigs these days from what i saw.
smth on the 28th here-dunno if its worth it.
http://knotarts.blogspot.com/

i cant think of..look for smth else right now. its late.
wish you safe trip and pm me if you need anything.

ps. it was raining today and sorry, we suck major times on online info/promotion/eventsites etc. not to mention finding it in english.

Thanks for the kind, detailed answer. Will use the information for my next Athens trip It was quite nice, so I plan to go there again anytime. We've been to Psiri and Monastiraki. Near the Acropolis I found a record store, which offered Perverted by Language by the Fall for € 14,90, but in the end the record shop guy only asked me to give him € 12 without any requests for my part, which was quite nice. The LP itself looks and sounds new. Are you living in Athens, Nefeli?
Old 01.05.2011, 11:16 AM   #12
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
Near the Acropolis I found a record store, which offered Perverted by Language by the Fall for € 14,90, but in the end the record shop guy only asked me to give him € 12 without any requests for my part, which was quite nice. The LP itself looks and sounds new.
SSSMMIIILLLEEE !!!

Hey,
long time, no see no hear. How are you?
I hope everything is fine.
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2011, 12:43 PM   #13
Gulasch Noir
the end of the ugly

Fine, thanks.
Maybe we'll see each other in about two weeks at http://turnonmytheta.blogspot.com/, introduced by Eric from Primordial Undermind at their last concert at the rhiz in December.
Old 01.05.2011, 12:58 PM   #14
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, I'll be there.
Sounds like a promising night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gulasch Noir
...at their last concert at the rhiz in December.

You were there too? Strange, I didn't see you.

Sorry for hijacking this thread, I'm sure Athens is beautiful and all.

ps
check your pms
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth