Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is the Internet the Deat of...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.26.2006, 08:47 AM   #41
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
But sometimes the independent store just isn't available, or isn't going to stock what's wanted. My nearest independent store is Rough Trade in Notting Hill, about twenty miles away, and I can't pop over there every time I want to buy anything. My nearest internet connection, however, is.... oh, look, it's right in front of me!

I'm more likely to compromise and shop online at an independent store (e.g. Volcanic Tongue, Second Layer) or direct from the label or band.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 08:54 AM   #42
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Well said there.The whole romanticism of the local independent record store is good and all that but,really,you can get those records for a cheaper price on the internet and not everyone lives near such shops.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 08:59 AM   #43
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Cheaper price PLUS SHIPPING, you mean.
At that point it's pretty much the same.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 09:01 AM   #44
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I admit, if you've got no other choice, the Internet's fine. But if there's an independent store in your area, why not support it? Keep it in the community. There's nothing romantic about that, it's just that buying local keeps these independent places alive and keeps the corporations out. Plus you can't beat the friendliness of these places; they love their loyal customers. I get at least a customary 10 percent off on my purchases because they manager and owner appreciate my business, and they're extremely accomodating with special orders, returns, and so on.
Old 10.26.2006, 09:02 AM   #45
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Still,in most cases it works out cheaper even with the shipping added to it.

Old 10.26.2006, 09:03 AM   #46
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I admit, if you've got no other choice, the Internet's fine. But if there's an independent store in your area, why not support it? Keep it in the community. There's nothing romantic about that, it's just that buying local keeps these independent places alive and keeps the corporations out. Plus you can't beat the friendliness of these places; they love their loyal customers. I get at least a customary 10 percent off on my purchases because they manager and owner appreciate my business, and they're extremely accomodating with special orders, returns, and so on.
I rarely buy records on the internet but then there are 3 record shops only within walking distance where i live.That's not my point.

Old 10.26.2006, 09:03 AM   #47
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Depends how for away that elusive item is.
For me to order things from continental Europe or Japan, that record had better be worth it.

(I don't really have a problem with net shopping, by the way)
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 09:12 AM   #48
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I admit, if you've got no other choice, the Internet's fine. But if there's an independent store in your area, why not support it?

Do you mean supporting the wages of mostly rude twats behind the counter too?I generally ignore if someone who works in a record store is being rude(and let's also face the music,people who work for places like HMV,Virgin etc are generally better trained in the customer care department) but i can see why all the arrogance that such types contain within themselves will eventually chip away because of the internet.Nobody's knowledge of music is THAT indispensable and if that sounds controversial,i don't care.

Miss Wener

Old 10.26.2006, 09:31 AM   #49
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Not if you're in the UK it's not. There are a few honourable exceptions, but on the whole it's cheaper (and easier) for me to buy non-mainstream stuff from the USA and pay the postage than it is for me to buy it in the UK.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 09:54 AM   #50
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Do you mean supporting the wages of mostly rude twats behind the counter too?I generally ignore if someone who works in a record store is being rude(and let's also face the music,people who work for places like HMV,Virgin etc are generally better trained in the customer care department) but i can see why all the arrogance that such types contain within themselves will eventually chip away because of the internet.Nobody's knowledge of music is THAT indispensable and if that sounds controversial,i don't care.

Miss Wener

For every one, decent, upstanding and generally nice chap in a record store there are 20 complete pricks. My local record store is rubbish, but the chap in there is nice. Sound323 used to be my local record store, and remains my favourite. The other ones near(ish)by to me are now shut because of internet competition. In all cases good riddance. My only nearby walk-in store is a classical one, and the people in there are brilliant. Rather than trawl the internet, I am now Mr Classical Music buying person. But I agree entirely with Porky, there's nothing holy about record stores.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 09:55 AM   #51
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

volcanic tongue. all their stuff is pretty cheap and the prices include shipping.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 09:57 AM   #52
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras

Miss Wener

actually i found the people who worked at HMV to be some of the worst in the personality and customer service departments. they were all so weird.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2006, 10:03 AM   #53
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
actually i found the people who worked at HMV to be some of the worst in the personality and customer service departments. they were all so weird.
As a general rule they are not but then we all have bad customer care experiences from time to time.As you already know,i don't work for them .

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth