Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Unreasonable Man, Ralph Nader Documentary on PBS
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.20.2007, 02:07 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/unreasonableman/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC9Hal0gycg

This was a really good documentary, which you all should watch. particullarly those of you out there who agree with the myth that "a vote for Nader was a vote for Bush" or even worse that Kerry should have been elected cuz anything is better then bush.

Nader spoke the truth here. He did not cost Gore the election. Florida won Bush the election by 537 votes. EVERY THIRD PARTY CANDIDATE IN FLORIDA RECIEVED MORE THEN 537 votes. Nader did not cost anyone the election period. everybody is stupid the way the reacted to him, political nightmare. he spoke the truth, there is not a dime of difference between the two parties, it is chosing the less of two evils, I man chose no evil. boycott american democracy, it is a farce. by the way, Nader pointed out correctly, if the democrats were so right, then why did they lose twice? why did so many registered democrats vote for bush in both elections? saying Nader cost the election is a cop-out for the failures of the American two-party system.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 03:23 PM   #2
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I saw the promos for it the other night.

I've yet to see the documentary.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 03:31 PM   #3
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Nice - it's playing @ Midnight on Christmas Eve - something to watch with my brother when I visit my mom.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2007, 04:32 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I saw the promos for it the other night.

I've yet to see the documentary.

it was really good. Nader reminded everybody that Kerry failed to win because he was a failure to begin with, that he promised nothing, and the democratic campaign of vote for democrats cuz at least we are better then republicans was bullshit.... last honest man in America i tell you, is Ralph Nader

Old 12.21.2007, 02:26 PM   #5
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

bump

Old 12.22.2007, 07:27 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Ralph Nader's Record of Accomplishments

Instrumental in the passing of the following legislation:
National Automobile and Highway Traffic Safety Act (1965)
Clean Water Act (1968)
Clean Air Act (1970)
Co-Op Bank Bill (1978)
Law establishing Environmental Protection Agency (1970)
Consumer Product Safety Act
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
Mine Health and Safety Act
Whistleblower Protection Act
Medical Devices safety
Nuclear power safety
Mobile home safety
Consumer credit disclosure law
Pension protection law
Funeral home cost disclosure law
Tire safety & grading disclosure law
Wholesome Meat Act
Natural Gas Pipeline Safety Act
Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act
Wholesome Poultry Product Act
Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) 1970
Safe Water Drinking Act
Freedom of Information Act
National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act

Old 12.22.2007, 07:35 PM   #7
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Does anyone even care about Ralph Nader anymore? He's not even a real politician. He's just a joke vote for stoners.
Old 12.22.2007, 08:07 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Does anyone even care about Ralph Nader anymore? He's not even a real politician. He's just a joke vote for stoners.

what part of all of this was a joke?

Ralph Nader's Record of Accomplishments

Instrumental in the passing of the following legislation:
National Automobile and Highway Traffic Safety Act (1965)
Clean Water Act (1968)
Clean Air Act (1970)
Co-Op Bank Bill (1978)
Law establishing Environmental Protection Agency (1970)
Consumer Product Safety Act
Foreign Corrupt Practices Act
Mine Health and Safety Act
Whistleblower Protection Act
Medical Devices safety
Nuclear power safety
Mobile home safety
Consumer credit disclosure law
Pension protection law
Funeral home cost disclosure law
Tire safety & grading disclosure law
Wholesome Meat Act
Natural Gas Pipeline Safety Act
Federal Coal Mine Health and Safety Act
Wholesome Poultry Product Act
Occupational Safety and Health Act (OSHA) 1970
Safe Drinking Water Act
Freedom of Information Act
National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act

It seems to me like the joke is on you...

was the Clean Water Act a Joke? how about job safety and OSHA? http://www.osha.gov/
Safe Drinking Water Act http://www.epa.gov/safewater/sdwa/sdwa.html
oh yeah, and the Freedom of Information Act http://www.usdoj.gov/oip/ thats a big laugh.
Credit Disclosure Act?
http://www.creditscoring.com/pages/laws.htm
Clean Air Act?
http://www.ace.mmu.ac.uk/eae/Air_Qua..._Air_Acts.html
etc etc etc...

get over your self-righteous pretension which keeps you in ignorance. it is not that Nader was every going to be president, it is that he asked the big questions on the big platform, which apprantely people such as yrself are content to ignore. Nader to a big dive in his legacy, had he not ran for president then people would only remember all the shit posted above, but alas, all they know is the propaganda from the Two-Party elitists...

Old 12.22.2007, 09:14 PM   #9
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
And this documentary isn't propaganda?
Old 12.22.2007, 09:32 PM   #10
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
And this documentary isn't propaganda?

Sayin'.

Listen, Suchfriends, you're an insane conspiracy nut. Those accomplishments are noteworthy. Still doesn't mean he's a fucking joke vote. There is absolutely no reason to vote for Ralph Nader and he is the reason GWB has been our president for the last 8 fucking years. If that 1-2% of liberals had thought to themselves to vote for a DEMOCRAT instead of an independent that was going to under absolutely no circumstances win. Explain to me, then, why he isn't a joke vote.
Old 12.22.2007, 09:34 PM   #11
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
How about some electoral college reform?
Old 12.23.2007, 05:16 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Sayin'.

Listen, Suchfriends, you're an insane conspiracy nut. Those accomplishments are noteworthy. Still doesn't mean he's a fucking joke vote. There is absolutely no reason to vote for Ralph Nader and he is the reason GWB has been our president for the last 8 fucking years. If that 1-2% of liberals had thought to themselves to vote for a DEMOCRAT instead of an independent that was going to under absolutely no circumstances win. Explain to me, then, why he isn't a joke vote.

wendeme (my brother), the joke isn't on Ralph Nader, its on all of America. Voting for Nader is a "fucking vote joke" but so is every other vote. its all bullshit. My point of this thread was not to promote "Nader 4 President". and you are absolutely wrong. ralph nader did not cost anyone any election. the majority of registered voters in the US are independent. There were other thirdparty candidates other then Ralph Nader, and further, to accuse any third party candidate as costing the election goes against the grain of the very nature of multi-party democracy. of course, that is the flaw in presidential system to begin with, should proportional. The multiparty system in US is simply a form of two-party facism, not democracy.

as I said, Nader himself never expected to be president. Voting for him was a sort of Election Boycott, and honestly it was rather effective.

further, I think your definition of voting is wrong. You clearly promote voting for someone who could "win" but you are supposed to vote for who you want to vote for, the person who represents your interests. you fuck up the whole concept when you change your voting decisions based upon likeliness of winning. You dont vote for the winner, you vote for who you believe in. It is the president of the United States, not the fucking president of the Student Council....

and by the way, I see you believe in democratic party propaganda in saying "if the 1-2% of liberals".... (ie just voted democrat then blah blah woof woof). that is bullshit. if all the registered democrats would just have voted democrat is more valid and appropriate, considering 5-10% of democrats play the field and in 2000 voted for Bush....

Old 12.23.2007, 07:29 PM   #13
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
the failures of the American two-party system
Well if you consider what it is supposed to do - illusion of choice between Business Candidate #1 & Business Candidate #2, and so on - it works wonderfully.
But then, in the more up-market newspapers on the weekend there were articles about how in our recent federal elections the Labor candidates were coached for weeks on what to say, do, and how to behave in debates. Best of all the writers all thought this was a great thing and couldn't praise it enough, so I guess our democracy is in the toilet too.
Lamont Cranston is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 09:08 AM   #14
5Against1
bad moon rising

5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses5Against1 kicks all y'all's asses
Lots of votes are "joke votes" thanks to the Electoral College. I live in NYS and no matter what I do a Democrat will be (s)elected. Unless you reside in a "battleground state" your vote is pretty much a joke. The two party system is a joke to begin with.
Old 12.24.2007, 11:22 AM   #15
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
5Agent1, I believe that requires what Noam Chomsky calls "tactical voting" - if you're in a safe state, which you are, organise or at least vote for independents and/or third-parties (at all levels of course, not just federal), this builds up support, increases awareness, provides access to public financing, all of which hopefully get some representatives elected; in a 'battle ground' state...well 'cause it's a shitty system I guess you're stuck with The Less Extreme Faction of the Business Party.
Old 12.24.2007, 02:05 PM   #16
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamont Cranston
5Agent1, I believe that requires what Noam Chomsky calls "tactical voting" - if you're in a safe state, which you are, organise or at least vote for independents and/or third-parties (at all levels of course, not just federal), this builds up support, increases awareness, provides access to public financing, all of which hopefully get some representatives elected; in a 'battle ground' state...well 'cause it's a shitty system I guess you're stuck with The Less Extreme Faction of the Business Party.

awo, awo, ena awo (Yes, yes and yes!)

of course, lets be honest. indy and other third party only are effective in the local and state levels. and the whole, I guess you're stuck with idea is exactly what fucked up the world to begin with. remember you are only stuck with government which you support, and it is your popular support that becomes their sovereign mandate. we empower them with our own apathy and lethargy and abdication...

Old 12.24.2007, 03:00 PM   #17
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
True, we are supposed to vote for the person for president and the presidential ticket that we really believe in. I will never dispute that, at least in ideality.
As someone who volunteered for Nader/LaDuke, I certainly used to feel that very strongly.
Nevertheless, I don't see how it can reasonably be stated that Nader's presence in the race didn't affect Gore's electoral results negatively.
I just don't know if, at least in this day and age, adherence to an independent party is all that effective.

True, there isn't a whole lot of choice. But I also do not agree that Kerry/Edwards was all that bad of a ticket. To write that Kerry/Edwards is no better than Bush/Cheney is bonkers to me.
True, Kerry is a Yale Skull & Bones member, but why is that everyone forgets how Kerry welcomed ridicule and invited misunderstanding with how he resolutely stood up for his beliefs during and after Vietnam? How does that or the fact that he's a war hero of the highest order get continually overlooked when people evaluate his character? I think people are far too hung up on looks. And sometimes people get all spun-out too because of propaganda about voting records. People make mistakes and learn from them; life is a process. Well, at least it is for most people in general. Life is recognized as a process by nearly everyone everywhere; that is, except for George Dubya. Bush, of course, never admits to any errors in his judgement.

Let's examine Kerry's choice for running mate, Senator John Edwards. Here's a guy that has now wisened up and who, along with Senator Barack Obama, is the only candidate for president that has refused to take contributions from political action committees. That's real change. That's a real commitment. Here we find a case of someone actually putting their money where their mouth is, which is extremely rare in today's political milieu. Edwards is someone that has a sure chance of winning the presidency for the Democrats, but some sort of obvious corruption is holding him back. Instead, likely to be nominated is Hillary Clinton who has accepted more money than any candidate, be they Democrat or Republican. I'd rather vote for John McCain if it came down to between him or Hillary Clinton, although I'd rather not have to vote for the narrow-minded, aging, ex-P.O.W. at all. Still, it's apparent to me that John's more honest that Hillary. If it comes down to Guiliani against Clinton, then shit, I guess I just gotta leave the country. You too can call me "an unreasonable man," but unless something changes soon, and quickly, the shit is really going to hit the fan.

Oh well, we'll see how the Iowa caucus and New Hampshire primaries go.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.24.2007, 05:20 PM   #18
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
True, we are supposed to vote for the person for president and the presidential ticket that we really believe in. I will never dispute that, at least in ideality.
As someone who volunteered for Nader/LaDuke, I certainly used to feel that very strongly.
Nevertheless, I don't see how it can reasonably be stated that Nader's presence in the race didn't affect Gore's electoral results negatively.
I just don't know if, at least in this day and age, adherence to an independent party is all that effective.

wendeme (my brother), its very simple. Nader did not cost Gore the race. Gore cost Gore the race. Gore could not even get his own states to vote for him. Nearly 10 million registered Democrats voted for Bush in that election. Did Nader cost Gore those 10 million votes? Of course not. Did Nader cost Gore Florida? Well yes technically, but as I said before, EVERY SINGLE THIRD PARTY CANDIDATE RECEIVED MORE THEN THE 537 VOTES IN FLORIDA WHICH GAVE THAT STATE TO BUSH.... so again, did Nader really cost Gore Florida? No, Gore cost himself the election, Kerry too. The Democratic Party are as scary a bunch of motherfuckers as the Republicans.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari2600

True, there isn't a whole lot of choice. But I also do not agree that Kerry/Edwards was all that bad of a ticket. To write that Kerry/Edwards is no better than Bush/Cheney is bonkers to me.

If it comes down to Guiliani against Clinton, then shit, I guess I just gotta leave the country. You too can call me "an "unreasonable man," but unless something changes soon, and quickly, the shit is really going to hit the fan.

esemegena! (Thank you!)

Old 12.25.2007, 04:08 AM   #19
Lamont Cranston
100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ataria2600
but why is that everyone forgets how Kerry welcomed ridicule and invited misunderstanding with how he resolutely stood up for his beliefs during and after Vietnam?
And doggedly pursued official government involvement in international drug smuggling in the 1980s: http://www.consortiumnews.com/2004/102904.html
later confirmed by Gary Webbs work 'Dark Alliance', the CIAs own internal investigation (done at the height of the Lewinsky circus so nobody heard about it) and Alfred W. McCoys revised 2003 edition of 'The Politics of Heroin'
Old 12.25.2007, 07:09 PM   #20
Lethrneck4
children of satan

Lethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard suckaLethrneck4 cold hard sucka
only time in my life ive ever heard the electoral college been questioned was after the democrats lost the presidency in 2000..what a shock!

didnt hear for any calls of getting rid of the electoral colege during clintons 8 years...again....shocking, hehe

i consider you dumb, ignorant, and irrelevant
perhaps more than a fly, but less than a fart. a joke - !@#$%!

Death by a firing squard of ten black gay men would be too good for this shithead. - atari2600

loser retard. pothead - !@#$%!

you're a real prick for acting so daft & being so disagreeable on purpose - atari2600

On the contrary, tesla69 is idiota numero uno - atari2600
Lethrneck4 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth