Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I'm quitting my band
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.02.2007, 03:57 PM   #1
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Because of the bass-player. He's a great guy but he's by far the most untalented muscisian I've ever met. He can't even play the easiest things without fucking up. The bad part is that there aren't any other bass players around here with the same musical interests. So how am I supposed to tell him this without making him pissed?
Old 02.02.2007, 04:06 PM   #2
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
been there man, and fuckin done that. except swap the bass player with the drummer in my case, aint no easy way around it. i just went thru a band break up recently and i was the one who called the whole thing to a halt, the upshot of it is i am public enemy #1.
fuck it, i knew in my heart it wasnt going anywhere and so did the other members, except i was the one who stood up and said it, while they (not all of em now - dont get me wrong) just used me as the scapegoat.
i dont like been the friend that tells you yr breath stinks of that you reek of sweat and need a shower or that the top yr wearing really doesnt suit you but i am that person, and i do it cuz i would want to be told.

straight out with it Thrasher02, let em down gently if you can but aint no point in going on if you know in yr heart its not working.
Old 02.02.2007, 04:09 PM   #3
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
It's as hard and as necessary as ending a bad romantic relationship.
I have been in the same position, and you can be as tactful as humanly possible and there will still be hurt feelings.
He will be either hurt or angry or both, but he's obviously not ready to play with other people just yet. I'm sorry you have to deal with this; it's painful for everyone.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 04:12 PM   #4
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Who needs bass players?
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 04:20 PM   #5
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I do! Gotta love bass.

Maybe tell him you'd like to play with him again after he learns the bass better?

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 04:21 PM   #6
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
He leaves his bass at my house practically all the time. And I told him before that he was kinda rubbish but he hasn't improved since.
Old 02.02.2007, 04:47 PM   #7
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
do him the favor and at least be honest about it. we just went through this big process of looking for a singer. we found the perfect girl - looks, voice, stage presence, etc. she agreed, was super excited. came to one practice - acted seriously enthusiastic. then last night she quit (we hired her saturday). unfortunately she quit after we told our second choice that we didn't pick her and found someone else. she says she's "looking to go in a different direction" and wants to sing more "blues" (even though she tried out for a rock band.) we all think it's some sort of outside influence, like her boyfriend, who probably told her being in a cover band won't enhance her career or something, but either way, none of us are buying her bullshit excuse. and it certainly doesn't help us. i'd rather have her say "because you suck" if it were true than the crap she threw at us. but we don't suck, we rule, so it's her loss. so there.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 04:49 PM   #8
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Why does your band only play covers?
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 05:00 PM   #9
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I hate to say it, but don't be in a cover band! Come on!!!

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 05:17 PM   #10
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
I hate to say it, but don't be in a cover band! Come on!!!

i played in a cover band. original band all the fuckin bands.
ok i only did the covers for €€€€€'s but its still shitty when it hits the wall..
my piece of shit cover band hit the wall lately i was fuckin devistated - i'm only getting over it now.
Old 02.02.2007, 05:24 PM   #11
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
we're not just a cover band, we are the only all-girl motley crue coverband in the world. honestly, i'm at an age where i'm not looking to record and write music and tour the country. if i'm going to do original music, i want to do it big and be the best, and that doesn't fit in with my lifestyle. i don't have to change my life to be in a cover band. we're going to play music that everyone can sing along to, and music that is fun to play. clubs are more willing to book a band that will draw a crowd than a band that nobody knows anything about, and we've already got a ton of clubs that want to book us without ever having heard us. we just can't play them til we get a singer. i know motley crue isn't the coolest band in these parts of the internet, but listen to shout at the devil and see if you don't find yourself shouting by the end of the song. i dare you...
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 05:27 PM   #12
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
we're not just a cover band, we are the only all-girl motley crue coverband in the world. honestly, i'm at an age where i'm not looking to record and write music and tour the country. if i'm going to do original music, i want to do it big and be the best, and that doesn't fit in with my lifestyle. i don't have to change my life to be in a cover band. we're going to play music that everyone can sing along to, and music that is fun to play. clubs are more willing to book a band that will draw a crowd than a band that nobody knows anything about, and we've already got a ton of clubs that want to book us without ever having heard us. we just can't play them til we get a singer. i know motley crue isn't the coolest band in these parts of the internet, but listen to shout at the devil and see if you don't find yourself shouting by the end of the song. i dare you...

wow.
fair play to ya. hope yee get that singer problem sorted.
Old 02.02.2007, 06:06 PM   #13
heavium
bad moon rising

heavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's asses
get rid of him or leave the band, a good drummer and bassist are the foundation of your band, if they're shit musicians you'll always sound like shit live, nomatter how good your singer or guitarists are...just be honest about it, either you leave the band to join one with a good bassist instead of wasting your time with bad musicians or you talk about it with the other peeps in your band to see if they feel the same about it...it's tough..and let's face it...practice might make you a better musician..sure..but you need talent for just that extra bit ..and that's something that doesn't come with tons and tons of practice..you just have it or you don't, you need friendship in a band, but sympathy isn't going to get you gigs and stuff....playing in a band should be fun, but it should also be a challenge..else you're going to get bored..rehearsing but never doing gigs sucks ass.

and btw, covers are great when you're just starting out but challenge yourself a bit more..write your own songs ! way more fun too :-)
heavium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 06:14 PM   #14
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
We're jamming with a bassplayer tomorrow to see how he fits. I said to him the other night that if he doesn't like the music and he's not that interested to tell me because I don't want him playing if he's not interested in the music. He was glad to hear that - I think most people are.
Old 02.02.2007, 06:26 PM   #15
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
cool, thrasher new avartar.

talk to the other members of the band to see what they think and kick him out.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 07:06 PM   #16
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
I quit a band recently- I was like, "these songs hurt my vocal chords and singing about women being cockteases and fucking the shit out of jenny jones isn't going to help me get out of my current situation of not getting any."

I need to get a good drummer and bassist for the Spectral Presence. I'm tired of fricking programming drum machine parts for every fricking song and having to write guitar parts that can work without basslines because I can't keep a bassist more than a month or two because they have like no work ethic.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 07:45 PM   #17
heavium
bad moon rising

heavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's assesheavium kicks all y'all's asses
spectral, i so hear ya on the drum-programming crap..it's hell ! =P
heavium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 08:37 PM   #18
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I quit a band recently- I was like, "these songs hurt my vocal chords and singing about women being cockteases and fucking the shit out of jenny jones isn't going to help me get out of my current situation of not getting any."

I need to get a good drummer and bassist for the Spectral Presence. I'm tired of fricking programming drum machine parts for every fricking song and having to write guitar parts that can work without basslines because I can't keep a bassist more than a month or two because they have like no work ethic.
Move to Minneapolis and I'll be your bass player, bud.

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 08:56 PM   #19
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I don't even have a band to quit out of. I've hardly been playing guitar anymore because of it.
Alex's Trip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.02.2007, 11:15 PM   #20
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
just kill him
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth