Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page (maybe) embarrasing concert tales
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.26.2009, 01:54 PM   #1
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
so I was at this small club, mangos, near my house with a friend, Sozavac Instigator, and we were going to see the Riff Tiffs, a band from austin i think. the opening band finished right when I got there, and the second band came on and started playing.
I was standing maybe 15 feet from the stage (the room is quite small) nursing a coca cola, and watching the band with my friend. The band has 8 dudes in it, guitar/bass/guitar/drums/keys/and a guy playing trumpet/singer.
so they are playing and they are very much in the vein of the more slow and emotive at the drive in/mars volta stuff, not really my thing, but I am enjoying the show allright.
the singer is totally aping the mars volta/ATDI singer, v neck T, hair all fro'd out, singing with his eyes closed and gesturing more often than actually playing the guitar around his neck.
I turn to my friend and shout "I hate when every song starts with the word "she""
He laughed and we watched more of the song, which had these loud soft dynamics, very typical of all the post-slint crap the kids keep playing, and I lean to my friend again, and just as I am about to talk loudly in his ear the band drops in volume to real soft, and I holler "Man, that singer really cares, huh?" in what must have sounded like the most sardonic, This-sad-sack-singer-is-a-pussy-bitch voice.
The entire club heard me, and the kids in the front all turn around to look at me, cuz they LOVE that he cares! they care TOOO!!!! (90% of the crowd was under 20)
I turned to face them and smiled like "yeah, you heard me..."

no one said shit.

One kid, who did not seem to like the band, Laughed. a lone Guffaw.

"hheayyuahhh!"
Old 06.26.2009, 02:05 PM   #2
deadrockstar
little trouble girl

deadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's assesdeadrockstar kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Meatloaf...

Twice...

Does that count?
deadrockstar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 02:07 PM   #3
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
once, about 20 years ago at Trees in Dallas, I punched the lead-singer to the industrial-hip-hop band "Consolidated" so hard in the face, I may have broken his nose.

BLOOD EVERYWHERE.

"that's it! show's over!"

I'm STILL laughing.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 02:09 PM   #4
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Did he tried to make a move on girl gun?

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 02:10 PM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
i saw some good shows at Treesss
never opunched a bandmember though!
Old 06.26.2009, 02:16 PM   #6
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Rob the same thing happened to my drummer (also named Rob, weird) when we were at midpoint music fest in cinci. We were watching this band called hot cha cha. all girls, and the singer was getting into it and grindin alittle and we were standing right in front of them, just a few inches. small intimate bar setting and the place was packed and he's like "oh she wants to fuck" and that was right about the time the song ended on the dime like the strokes did...and she heard him. She mouthed 'no way' and it was the most hilarious/embarrassing thing I've ever seen. We still give him shit for it haha.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 02:24 PM   #7
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Visqueen opening for Shonen Knife at the 9:30 Club. I was front row and
the singer/guitarist for Visqueen had like two bottles of water and an open
bottle of Bud on the stool next to her. I'm watching that bottle just edge
closer and closer till it falls off the stool and spills all over the cords on
stage. I must have had this concerned look on my face 'cause when I
looked back up to the band, the singer was smiling at me and mouthed,
"Don't worry about it." That gave me a beamer.
Old 06.26.2009, 02:36 PM   #8
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
most embarassing will be in print very soon, but for one not involving Lee...

going to see Les Georges Leningrad play at the Talking Head, i was hanging out upstairs before the show watching Martin of LGL play the drummer i think of the Watchers in a game of pool, i got winner, who turned out to be the guy from The Watchers, i played so horriblely i i actually when trying to make an easy shot into the corner pocket, i miss the ball completely and the cue ball goes into the pocket

outside of the soon to be published account, that is my dumbest i think
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 02:41 PM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
Rob the same thing happened to my drummer (also named Rob, weird) when we were at midpoint music fest in cinci. We were watching this band called hot cha cha. all girls, and the singer was getting into it and grindin alittle and we were standing right in front of them, just a few inches. small intimate bar setting and the place was packed and he's like "oh she wants to fuck" and that was right about the time the song ended on the dime like the strokes did...and she heard him. She mouthed 'no way' and it was the most hilarious/embarrassing thing I've ever seen. We still give him shit for it haha.

hahahahah! endless grief!
Old 06.26.2009, 02:43 PM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
most embarassing will be in print very soon, but for one not involving Lee...

going to see Les Georges Leningrad play at the Talking Head, i was hanging out upstairs before the show watching Martin of LGL play the drummer i think of the Watchers in a game of pool, i got winner, who turned out to be the guy from The Watchers, i played so horriblely i i actually when trying to make an easy shot into the corner pocket, i miss the ball completely and the cue ball goes into the pocket

outside of the soon to be published account, that is my dumbest i think

that is plain old billiards embarrassing. you thought you had game bro...
Old 06.26.2009, 02:48 PM   #11
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
there's a little summer music fest in my city. my best friend's mom gets like four free week-long passes, so we go chill in the park, drink the best lemonade ever, and take in some mediocre live tunage.
one year we saw peter frampton. the story could end here - that's embarassing enough. :P
i was wearing this union jack tee (this was in my ridiculous who phase) my friend, her mom, and i walk down in front, by the stage... they wanted some mongolian bbq.
in the middle of a wanky solo, frampton points at me. then at a little flag on his guitar strap. then me again.
awkward!
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 03:01 PM   #12
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
that is plain old billiards embarrassing. you thought you had game bro...

oh i never said i had game, i played so bad i made the other bad play bad too, shooting it so wildly he could set up shots
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 03:09 PM   #13
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by automatic bzooty
there's a little summer music fest in my city. my best friend's mom gets like four free week-long passes, so we go chill in the park, drink the best lemonade ever, and take in some mediocre live tunage.
one year we saw peter frampton. the story could end here - that's embarassing enough. :P
i was wearing this union jack tee (this was in my ridiculous who phase) my friend, her mom, and i walk down in front, by the stage... they wanted some mongolian bbq.
in the middle of a wanky solo, frampton points at me. then at a little flag on his guitar strap. then me again.
awkward!

hahaha! You and Peter Frampton made a "soul connection!!!"
he wanted you to want him
Old 06.26.2009, 03:09 PM   #14
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
oh i never said i had game, i played so bad i made the other bad play bad too, shooting it so wildly he could set up shots

you would not believ how many times I have had abilliard game in hand only to scratch the cue ball when going for the close-out on the 8-ball.
Old 06.26.2009, 03:23 PM   #15
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
hahaha! You and Peter Frampton made a "soul connection!!!"
he wanted you to want him
haaaaah. i wouldn't even take a free copy of comes alive offered to me once at a garage sale, no way would i take the real deal.

take this talkbox 'n' SHOVE IT.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 04:15 PM   #16
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
The most embarrassing thing (I think) is that I've had beer spit on me by the lead singer of Monotonix after he took a swig from the bottle he just pulled from his ass.
Old 06.26.2009, 04:31 PM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

that is pretty embarrasing
Old 06.26.2009, 06:01 PM   #18
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
when i was fifteen or so i went to see this guy in concert:

my mother liked his music too so she came along.

then she spotted him next to the stage, talking to some people.

the rest of the story involves her shoving me towards him to say 'hi' and an extremely shy and awkward fifteen-year old me stammering something like 'my mother told me to say hi to you'.

he thought it was funny anyway.

i never took my mother to a concert again.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.26.2009, 06:08 PM   #19
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ploesj
when i was fifteen or so i went to see this guy in concert:

my mother liked his music too so she came along.

then she spotted him next to the stage, talking to some people.

the rest of the story involves her shoving me towards him to say 'hi' and an extremely shy and awkward fifteen-year old me stammering something like 'my mother told me to say hi to you'.

he thought it was funny anyway.

i never took my mother to a concert again.
I had the same, but with Lee Ranaldo.
It was also my most embarassing moment.
Old 06.26.2009, 06:22 PM   #20
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
I had the same, but with Lee Ranaldo.
It was also my most embarassing moment.

that might be even worse :P

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth