Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page J Mascis's Favorite Records of 2007
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.17.2007, 08:57 PM   #1
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses

J MASCIS, DINOSAUR JR.
Om: Pilgrimage
Grinderman: Grinderman
EA 80: Reise
Thurston: Trees Outside the Academy
Pierced Arrows: "In My Brain" b/w "Caroline" 7"
Band of Horses: Cease to Begin
MV & EE With the Golden Road: Gettin' Gone
Kevin Drew: Spirit If...
Magik Markers: Boss
Earth: Hibernaculum
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2007, 09:39 PM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
mv and ee is garbage, saw them support dino, so is that kevin drew alblum, besides the song "backed out on the..." which j plays on. that record cuda been awesome if it was all stoner rock anthemic stuff like that, instead of the broken social pretenious scene shit.
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2007, 10:26 PM   #3
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
mv and ee release a ton of stuff, but they are not garbage by any stretch. have you listened to any Tower Recordings stuff?
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.17.2007, 10:47 PM   #4
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
mv and ee with the bummer road are hippie bullshit when they're bad, ok to plain good psych folk when they're good.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 10:09 AM   #5
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
mv and ee with the bummer road are hippie bullshit when they're bad, ok to plain good psych folk when they're good.

I agree. Kim, as we can see, picked them too. To be fair, I haven't listened to Green Blues or Gettin' Gone from this year in their entirety, but of what I heard, I was turned off by yet another band that cannot (let's get real) really compose songs or play together and so on and so forth. The result is cacophony borne of laziness, or at the very least, a degree of transparent lack of musical focus.

In my view, some of the material on Trees Outside the Academy falls into this same category and much of the corresponding live material from the tour bears that out, especially with Mascis not present. But on the Thurston Moore's album (as compared to MV & EE w/the GR), you've got his vocal and lyrical abilty to form an interesting juxtaposition and better players and better music in general as a saving grace. And also, some of the songs are, in fact, really, really good.

I actually like Be Your Own Pet's s/t from last year on Ecstatic Peace and ranked it highly, so try to distinguish my meaning, please. (I didn't listen to their ep this year; it appears the brothers Orrall are now out of the mix and focusing on their label.)

It's astonishing to me that every list that I read that ranks underground or experimental albums fairly highly does the reader the disservice to roundly ignore the 2005 The Original Silence concert released by Smalltown Superjazz this year. The First Original Silence is entirely performed live improvisationally. Music that finds its way to a release just doesn't get much more underground or experimental than this recording. Moreover, there is a genuine spirit to this document-in-sound that the discerning ear instantly recognizes.

And so arises a case (although I would have awarded the album a 9.0 and not an 8.0) where I agree with a Pitchfork review:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...iginal-silence
Quote:
Originally Posted by an excerpt from Marc Masters
Those inclined toward improvised music can usually find something worthwhile in all forms of it. But even the most blindly faithful recognize when a session shoots so high that it sounds more like a rocket than a record. The First Original Silence is that kind of instant attention-grabber. Original Silence use the same tools as many improv groups: rolling percussion, squawking horns, guitar feedback, and scraggly electronic noise. But these six sound-crushers have added some sort of performance-enhancing drug, injecting their sound with energy rare to any music, improvised or otherwise.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 12:35 PM   #6
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
whatever dudes. so you barely listened to gettin' gone and green blues, but what about all those others??? some of those child of microtones cdrs are quite great, i've seen them 3 times and played with them once on the same bill, erika has a spectucular voice, and when they are on they are on i will say that. cool folks to talk to and hang out with.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 12:39 PM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I should hope that even a die-hard fan could admit that MV/EE are inconsistent live. I have seen several incarnations of that outfit, and one show was truly great, but not all of them by a long shot. A lot of my favorite groups (not to mention several of my own) are inconsistent live.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 12:40 PM   #8
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I agree. Kim, as we can see, picked them too. To be fair, I haven't listened to Green Blues or Gettin' Gone from this year in their entirety, but of what I heard, I was turned off by yet another band that cannot (let's get real) really compose songs or play together and so on and so forth. The result is cacophony borne of laziness, or at the very least, a degree of transparent lack of musical focus.

In my view, some of the material on Trees Outside the Academy falls into this same category and much of the corresponding live material from the tour bears that out, especially with Mascis not present. But on the Thurston Moore's album (as compared to MV & EE w/the GR), you've got his vocal and lyrical abilty to form an interesting juxtaposition and better players and better music in general as a saving grace. And also, some of the songs are, in fact, really, really good.

I actually like Be Your Own Pet's s/t from last year on Ecstatic Peace and ranked it highly, so try to distinguish my meaning, please. (I didn't listen to their ep this year; it appears the brothers Orrall are now out of the mix and focusing on their label.)

It's astonishing to me that every list that I read that ranks underground or experimental albums fairly highly does the reader the disservice to roundly ignore the 2005 The Original Silence concert released by Smalltown Superjazz this year. The First Original Silence is entirely performed live improvisationally. Music that finds its way to a release just doesn't get much more underground or experimental than this recording. Moreover, there is a genuine spirit to this document-in-sound that the discerning ear instantly recognizes.

And so arises a case (although I would have awarded the album a 9.0 and not an 8.0) where I agree with a Pitchfork review:
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...iginal-silence

i kinda have opposite feelings on the be your own pet album and original silence. the BYOP are kinda boring to me, though they look like they are a fun live band, but musically they do little that grabs me. i prefer Awesome Color over them anytime right now. as for the Original Silence it definitely has its moments where its like "wow", but i also find that it has some messy spots and some of instruments are just too out front in the mix than others. i'd put the corsano/flaherty/shoup/moore quartet - roadhouse sessions vol. 1 in my top 10 of the year for sure.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 01:09 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Well, to each their own. I also ranked Awesome Color last year, but forgot to include them in the previous post which would have been relevant information in hindsight.
Old 12.18.2007, 03:15 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Oh look, J Mascis made a list of records his friends released this year.. whoopty fucking doo.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 04:00 PM   #11
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Oh look, J Mascis made a list of records his friends released this year.. whoopty fucking doo.

haha that list is kind of bad.
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 07:52 PM   #12
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
I actually like Be Your Own Pet's s/t from last year on Ecstatic Peace and ranked it highly, so try to distinguish my meaning, please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
i kinda have opposite feelings on the be your own pet album

The BYOP album was one of my favourites from last year too. It has that wonderful, and all too rare, feeling of a band saying everything they have to say in a single short burst. Some bands take time to get it all out, some take time but actually have nothing to say. BYOP don't have much to say, so it's great that what they have, they managed to lever into a single album. They should just split now, comforted by the knowledge that they made their mark, however small.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2007, 08:05 PM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I have to tend to agree, in the end, it might be the best way.

Although. I could also see them doing maybe three or four albums and some eps and growing a little, changing it up some each time. But, I can also see them perhaps inevitably getting flatter and duller too over time.

The opening words to Vanessa Briscoe Hay's history of Pylon:
On February 14, 1979 I auditioned to become the singer for the as yet unnamedPylon at the invitation of Randall Bewley, one of my friends from art school. He and his roommate Michael Lachowski, another friend from art school who also worked at Dupont had decided to create a band who would go to New York, play once, get written about in a magazine like New York Rocker and then disband.

For the whole story:
http://www.netnik.com/jollybeggars/pylon.html
Old 12.18.2007, 08:17 PM   #14
Andrés
children of satan

Andrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's asses
So no mention to Black Francis "Bluefinger" ?

Andrés is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 01:44 AM   #15
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
kinda sad that pitchfork's list is better...

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 01:44 AM   #16
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
seriously, what a cuntish thing for J to do.

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2007, 10:45 AM   #17
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
mv.ee rule. There's a reason J and SY and so many other leathered ears like them. I've been following Matt's music for ten years now, he never lets me down.

But some of you just don't like hard free rock that doesn't sit in any defineable genre...you guys call him hippy like its a put down or something..each to their own, but mv/ee are living their own lives their way. And they work their asses off they tour the US twice a year and are headed back to Europa next month.

I have almost every COM release they've put out and my only criticism is I need a 48 hour day (and maybe a 3rd lobe) so I can enjoy the discs more...the Ringside Seat Nosebleed Tone disc (COM 31) has a really cool jam with Spencer Yeh. But many of you hate SY's free music, so it makes sense you wouldn't like mv.ee.

but who are the PIerced Arrows?
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth