Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café V
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2016, 08:12 AM   #2561
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
I have a prediction. what if hip hop in the future doesn't use curse words? it would be like an anti hip hopist thing? will the mumble take over indistinctly between the real and the mumble southern jargon of the new breed.

I don't know if it's a prediction, but it's an interesting thought for sure. I never really considered that, but you're right. Every decade or so there tends to be a need for hip hop to shed its skin and distance itself from what it has been. IE: Young kids coming up and want to be unique from their predecessors. In many ways, "not cursing" would be the most un-hip hop move. But isn't that what rebellion is all about? If you think back there was a time when you'd never imagine any rapper wearing skinny jeans, or singing, or skateboarding, or wearing shirts w/ pictures of cats on them. Etc.
Old 08.05.2016, 08:35 AM   #2562
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Hip Hop of the PAST didn't use curse words.

I am turning 43 this year and I have always loved the drugged out fucked up music full of degeneracy and insanity, and the Future/YOung Thug/OT Genasis/Rich Homie Quan/Migos/Makkonen/2CHAINZ shit is part of me now.........
Old 08.05.2016, 08:42 AM   #2563
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
I don't super appreciate the implication that listening to a certain kind of music is somehow a sign of immaturity of arrested development.

Also, if we're gonna go there, then I'd like to point out that if Wu-Tang Clan, etc. is "kids stuff," then — in my case anyway — so is Sonic Youth, and My Bloody Valentine, Nirvana, Aphex Twin... not to
mention The Beatles, Bob Dylan, the Velvet Underground, Prince...
I was listening to all that shit as in my youth as well. What exactly "should" I be listening to now that I'm old?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2016, 09:00 AM   #2564
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
People like what they like. I bought and devoured Kind of Blue when I was twelve. It was in heavy rotation, right next to 36 Chambers. If I like something, I'm going to listen to it. Whether it's "lame" (as I promise you Kind of Blue was for a little shit in the early '90s) or "childish" in the eyes of others doesn't concern me. If I think something is lame or childish, I won't listen to it, but I also won't give someone else shit for doing so. Unless that person is a close friend with a good sense of humor, or a total asshole who is for some reason crapping on me for my choices.

Dammit, I'm a full grown man (technically... I could stand to go up a shirt size or two), and I often work 12 hours a day, only to come home and work more. I'm in a long term relationship, and people depend on me. In other words, my life is pretty much OVER. If I want to throw on some Pusha T or Future or whatever so I have an excuse to rap about coke or getting pussy, and have some fun on my commute to pump myslef up for a day of horrendous adulthood, I'm gonna damn well do it. And fuck anyone who wants to judge me for that.

You wanna know about my shit? Wanna see the student loan bills I have piled up? Wanna hear about my prostate exams? If you knew anything about me you'd bite your goddamn tongue before begrudging my enjoyment of escapism.

Old 08.05.2016, 09:18 AM   #2565
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
I don't know if it's a prediction, but it's an interesting thought for sure. I never really considered that, but you're right. Every decade or so there tends to be a need for hip hop to shed its skin and distance itself from what it has been. IE: Young kids coming up and want to be unique from their predecessors. In many ways, "not cursing" would be the most un-hip hop move. But isn't that what rebellion is all about? If you think back there was a time when you'd never imagine any rapper wearing skinny jeans, or singing, or skateboarding, or wearing shirts w/ pictures of cats on them. Etc.

Haha. Yeah. Or writing a McDonald's jingle? Or singing to their mamas in the most un-Tupacy way imaginable? Or writing a throwback to G-funk for that essentially shits all over thug culture?

Yeah, times change. They're changing again. As I've said before though, I think this latest shift might actually be the one that I'm too old and removed from to "get." The Thuggers and Lil Yachty/Uzi Verts of the world are just a bit beyond me.
Old 08.05.2016, 09:31 AM   #2566
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
It's all better than that Puff Daddy produced shit and the shit ass cali g funk BULLSHIt
Old 08.05.2016, 09:56 AM   #2567
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
It's all better than that Puff Daddy produced shit and the shit ass cali g funk BULLSHIt

You think Thugger's better than BIG and 2pac? I respectfully, but totally, disagree.
Old 08.05.2016, 11:06 AM   #2568
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

"better" is a value judgement. When it comes to art of any kind, there is no "better" or "worse" . There is only personal taste. I enjoy Young Thug more than I have ever enjoyed any of Biggie Big's music. I never got into Pac at all, even though I own 4 of his albums and have listened to them countless times. They don't do shit for me. My issue is not with Pac as a rapper or what he raps about, but the musical production on his albums. I HATE IT. I hate Dre's productions, his predictable and staid samples, and his whole fucking schtick. Dre sucks fucking fat turds.
Old 08.05.2016, 11:09 AM   #2569
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I think the best RAPPER around now is Kevin Gates. his music tracks are not as clever or experimental as Travis scott's (I love his long ass songs with multiple mood changes and hooks), his beats are not as wide-ranging and danceable as what Future uses, but Gate's wordflow and rhyme schemes are at the tip top currently. They make the 3rd grade rhyming of the new Schoolboy Q album sound like crap.
Old 08.05.2016, 05:09 PM   #2570
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
"better" is a value judgement. When it comes to art of any kind, there is no "better" or "worse" . There is only personal taste. I enjoy Young Thug more than I have ever enjoyed any of Biggie Big's music. I never got into Pac at all, even though I own 4 of his albums and have listened to them countless times. They don't do shit for me. My issue is not with Pac as a rapper or what he raps about, but the musical production on his albums. I HATE IT. I hate Dre's productions, his predictable and staid samples, and his whole fucking schtick. Dre sucks fucking fat turds.

I know it's personal taste, and you know that I know that.

Indeed, that's why I said "I respectfully ... disagree." I don't have the same perspective. Not judging you for what you thin, but I am a bit surprised.

Also, to be clear, Future doesn't "use" any beats. Bunch of other people do (Metro Boomin) and he does stuff ("raps") over them. If you like the beats on a Future song, don't thank Future.

I kind of feel the same way about a lot of Death Row era producers and beat makers. Dre has very little to do with most of Pac's catalog, though, so if you don't like Pac beats, don't blame Dre. But Dre has made some boring crap, that's for sure.
Old 08.06.2016, 10:36 AM   #2571
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
So it's Saturday and we still don't have any new Frank or new Travis.

louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2016, 10:39 AM   #2572
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think the best RAPPER around now is Kevin Gates. his music tracks are not as clever or experimental as Travis scott's (I love his long ass songs with multiple mood changes and hooks), his beats are not as wide-ranging and danceable as what Future uses, but Gate's wordflow and rhyme schemes are at the tip top currently. They make the 3rd grade rhyming of the new Schoolboy Q album sound like crap.
Gotta go with Kendrick, followed by Earl. I mainly like Kevin Gates for his more melodic stuff and catchy hooks.
Old 08.06.2016, 10:43 AM   #2573
louder
invito al cielo

And I really dig J. Cole's rapping as well.. he isn't the best lyricist by any means (although he's definitely better than many nowadays), but he's passionate and I really enjoy his voice and delivery.
Old 08.06.2016, 11:01 AM   #2574
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepper_green
im baffled as to why some of you listen to some of this shit in this thread? at least four or five of you are 35 and older I know. one guy is the age of consent and he's louder. the rest of you seem like old men trying to be cool. I have a really really HARD time believing you guys take some of this shit serious. listening is one thing but discussing it in depth like studying WWI is crazy ass shit!! pure madness.

I feel like ice cream. you can't really relate to this shit? can you? you go to bed with this shit in yr head? your old school NAS WU TANG old man SNOOP public enemy.

one fucking dude here is younger than 26. the rest of you are middle age or approaching. still listening to kids stuff. and you have a problem with me? amazing!!!!!!!!! unreal!!! unfathomable!!! disgrace!!!

hope u guys get the help you need and godspeed.
Man, kids these days love Drake. They love Desiigner, Young Thug, Lil Uzi Vert and Lil Yachty.. they think Kanye's last one is the best album of the year.. I'm pretty old fashioned in my taste. I generally tend to prefer the more soulful and introverted side of hip hop.
Old 08.06.2016, 03:49 PM   #2575
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Gotta go with Kendrick, followed by Earl. I mainly like Kevin Gates for his more melodic stuff and catchy hooks.

Kendrick is the best rapper in modern rap, no question. Probably one of the best of any era of rap.
Old 08.06.2016, 03:55 PM   #2576
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Man, kids these days love Drake. They love Desiigner, Young Thug, Lil Uzi Vert and Lil Yachty.. they think Kanye's last one is the best album of the year.. I'm pretty old fashioned in my taste. I generally tend to prefer the more soulful and introverted side of hip hop.

Whoah now... Let's not go throwing Pablo in with the rest of that stuff. I know you're not nuts about it, but god damn man. It is as far from VIEWS as any 2016 album is from any other, in any genre. Sonically it's nothing like any of it. It's absolutely the best album of the year though. Hands down. For my money anyway.

Uzi just dropped another mixtape with cover art yanked right out of the Graduation pull out.
Old 08.06.2016, 05:54 PM   #2577
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
rob how can you hate on Tupac's production and instrumentation? uses things like an actual bass guitar, doesn't go overboard on the hype men and vocal overdubs, good samples. what is not to love?

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.06.2016, 05:56 PM   #2578
louder
invito al cielo

Some of Pac's production is amazing to me and some is just there.
Old 08.06.2016, 06:02 PM   #2579
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Whoah now... Let's not go throwing Pablo in with the rest of that stuff. I know you're not nuts about it, but god damn man. It is as far from VIEWS as any 2016 album is from any other, in any genre. Sonically it's nothing like any of it. It's absolutely the best album of the year though. Hands down. For my money anyway.

Uzi just dropped another mixtape with cover art yanked right out of the Graduation pull out.
Yeah but I still can't get into TLOP which makes me feel detached from the youth.. well, that and the fact I'm going bald tomorrow..
Old 08.06.2016, 06:10 PM   #2580
louder
invito al cielo

Big Sean has been getting better throughout the years. I hope he's already old and mature enough to make a GOOD album from start to finish.
79119126127128 129 130131132139179 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth