Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How were you introduced to Sonic Youth?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.06.2008, 07:08 PM   #21
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
I kept reading about Daydream Nation in various "Top 100 Albums Ever" style lists, so I checked it out, and here I am.
Old 05.06.2008, 07:37 PM   #22
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
My oldest sister liked a bunch of that stuff. When she was in her mid-late 20's she moved back in for maybe 6 months and tought me about music, me being 16 or 17 and my favorite bands being Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, the Who, The Beatles, and Jimi Hendrix.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 07:41 PM   #23
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I remember hearing/seeing 100% on MTV at the age of about 5-6.

Fast-forward a decade.
I bought DDN on a whim after hearing the name being thrown around by people with similar musical tastes, but much more into AC/DC than Pixies. They found it "too noisey" and "weird". That was enough for me.
Old 05.06.2008, 07:47 PM   #24
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I was reading articles on Kurt Cobain(NFC), and a lot of those articles he spoke how SY influenced him, and getting Nirvana a record label. So I check out 100% online, it was on the old board. That was in high school.

SY entered my life when I thought there was more to music than what was on the mainstream.
Old 05.06.2008, 08:41 PM   #25
Johnny "Magic Fingers"
children of satan

Johnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's assesJohnny "Magic Fingers" kicks all y'all's asses
I went from being into the whole metal thing in the late 80s (The reason I started playing guitar was because of Guns'n'Roses' "Sweet Child O'Mine") to wanting to expand my musical tastes in the early 90s.

I wasn't really into the Indie scene as such - but I knew a few people who weren't into the whole mainstream scene and liked stuff like the Ramones, Mudhoney and Dinosaur Jr.

I kept seeing these bands on Rage which is an Aussie late nite music video show with no hosts, no advertisments and just music. Every now and again, I'd see the same two Sonic Youth clips - 'Kool Thing' and '100%' and I thought, I'd like to have those songs in my collection.

As it turned out, they were on different albums so I got 'Goo' and 'Dirty' on the same day. My friend told me to check out 'Daydream Nation' because that's what his mate reckoned was their best album. Apparently, this mate of his got into the band when they first started and had every album on vinyl including the very first EP.

The more stuff I got, the more I got into them. I suppose I love the fact that they're so multi-demensional. They're super neat!
Johnny "Magic Fingers" is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 09:04 PM   #26
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I was in my Freshman year of high school and my brother came back from his first year at UCLA with a bunch of indie rock "essential" albums. One being Daydream Nation. Little while later, I took a summer job and Daydream Nation became pretty much the only thing I would listen to plus Loveless and Without A Sound.

Wake up to Teen Age Riot, driving to work at 4:30am to The Sprawl, Cross The Breeze, Eric's Trip, and Providence, then drive home in the blistering So Cal heat at 3pm with Candle and the Trilogy songs on full volume. Great times. Since then, I've been looking into them.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 09:47 PM   #27
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ✌➬
NFC

Did you sign up for the message board? If so, what was your username? I've been on the NFC board for years.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.06.2008, 10:19 PM   #28
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
I never signed on to that board.
Old 05.06.2008, 10:57 PM   #29
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
i first heard them when i was a scruffy pot head skateboarder hardcore kid obsessed by the bad brains and nwa. i was watching the toy machine video "welcome to hell" (a classic) and there was a sonic youth song (cant remember which one) used as the music for ed templeton's part. i was a huge nirvana fan too, and i remember reading about kurt and him talkin about them, so i then bough daydream nation and fell in love.

sonic youth is such a great "gateway band" too, because they play so many styles of underground music and namecheck so many great bands. i probably would have never gotten into no wave or noise if it wasnt for thurston talking about mars and whitehouse.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 01:41 AM   #30
forkimified
bad moon rising

forkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's assesforkimified kicks all y'all's asses
I heard the 100% music video about 1000 years ago, and thought it was awesome. Just a bassline, drums, and this weird guitar noise that wasn't really playing any notes but still sounded super kool. But, I never really was able to buy a lot of music until recently, so I stuck to things I knew... But I found about 5 sonic youth tapes at Value Village (thrift store) for a buck each a couple years ago. Of course, I bought them all, being such a value, and knowing they were supposedly huge icons of the '90s who were more on the noisy Nirvana-y end of the Grunge spectrum than the Soundgardeny end... and I've been hooked ever since!

Dirty was prob my fav album.
forkimified is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 03:14 AM   #31
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
I was browsing OiNK and saw their name come up, remembered hearing their name a few times before and arbitrarily decided to download Goo.
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 04:04 AM   #32
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Someone gave me an indie compilation with Saucer-Like ( 1998, or something like that). I immediately loved this band. It was the best song of this compilation.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 04:56 AM   #33
Kina
children of satan

Kina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's assesKina kicks all y'all's asses
I heard them first when my sister brought home Dirty back when I was about 11 years old when it first came out. She heard of them through a music review of new albums in Waves magazine which is a surf magazine (she used to surf back then). We didn't know anyone else that liked them but I just remember thinking the music was awesome and so different to anything I had heard.
Kina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 05:02 AM   #34
sarramkrop

Read about them and a friend shortly after lent me ''Daydream Nation''. I can still remember how good it was spinning it for the first time.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 05:11 AM   #35
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
My uncle was a huge fan
When I was a kid, he'd give me cds/cassettes for christmas and my birthdays

On my 11th birthday, he gave me Daydream Nation.
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 09:48 AM   #36
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i used to be like that, hated the long songs.

when i first heard ddn, i was already very familiar with sy but a) the remixing/remastering on my dgc cd copy was awful, very slick and samey and b) most of the songs don't seem to be songs but jamming with attempts at songwriting on top of it, with the jamming not deciding whether they still want to be atonal noise explorers or rocking out without the "rock".

that is the description of EJST&NS!

Daydream nation is GOD!!!!!
Old 05.07.2008, 10:11 AM   #37
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
Providence spoke to me, deeply.
pot head
Old 05.07.2008, 10:16 AM   #38
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
I played Bad Moon Rising to death after I got into SY. The stooges snippets made me smile.

I love the endless loop at the end of EVOL.

When Daydram Nation finally hit it was weird. I got to hear them perform it live at Maxwell's in Hoboken before the album came out.
After everything else they'd put out it sounded like a really good pop album. I played it to death...and I still have my original CD.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 10:25 AM   #39
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
It was around 1999 or so ... I saw some Sonic Youth special on German TV and all those songs (I remember a lot of these weird Goo videos being played there) totally blew my brains out. The next day I rushed to the store and bought Washing Machine, which made me listen in a complete amazement, like what the fuck is that?, but with every other I spin I got deeper and deeper and deeper. And the next day after I went to the store, bought Dirty and Evol and there I was. Trapped.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.07.2008, 11:53 AM   #40
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
i had heard of the name Sonic Youth before 96, cause i knew of the name when they appeared on Homerpalooza, just not sure how i knew that

i didn't start to get into them until about 2000 after watching some thing on tv that featured them on a rock list and clips of their vids and song
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth