Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page dealing with depression and stress
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.19.2007, 01:36 PM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
doing exercise, painting, listening to music, keeping yourself busy definitely help, no doubt about it.

but the real solution is dealing with whatever is bringing you down, there's no other way.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 02:35 PM   #22
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
hahaha!
ive missed ya becky!
where ya been??

Nowhere in particular, other than school and work. School is fine, work is a drag, etc;

You know what's always a pick-me-up? Harry Potter. And good weather. How's the weather where you are? I'm so pumped for spring I can't even tell you. The weather has been getting much nicer in Missouri. Though it did snow the other day, go figure.

My dad has a hammock at his house. I would recommend a hammock if you haven't already switched over to the Gilligan's Island way of life. But really, aren't hammocks the greatest? Someone please back me up on this.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 03:55 PM   #23
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I have been going with this shit for the last two weeks. But I feel I am making an effort to change it by, doing what I want. As to being afraid of dying, just live life, because eventually we will die.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 04:27 PM   #24
girlgun
invito al cielo

girlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's assesgirlgun kicks all y'all's asses
i absolutely think the answer is exercise. and not just leisurely walks. hardcore working out. it really does fix it.

that said *kills self*
girlgun is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 07:14 PM   #25
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
read this:

It made me feel a bit better when I was down and out.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 07:16 PM   #26
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy
read this:

It made me feel a bit better when I was down and out.

good call-- i haven't read it-- but one of the few answers here that make sense besides mine
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.19.2007, 08:50 PM   #27
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Good suggestions thus far. As Rob wrote, let your mind empty itself. Walking, painting, playing music...all these things help.
So does a sensible diet and some meditation.

I haven't read the Dalai Lama's book, nor do I expect I ever will, but I have read, I imagine, a fair amount of the source material he bases whatever advice he gives that is sound.

On the subject of anything remotely resembling or approaching everlasting human happiness, however, I affirm the words of Fyodor Dostoevsky who uttered the simple truth, which is:

"Perhaps we are not meant for happiness."

Dostoevsky valued his sufferings though; his work certainly reflects it.
Like many of us, he self-willed a lot of them upon himself to be sure.

And, on that somber note, I'll leave you with an attempt to cheer you up with the Denis Leary routine (in a somewhat topical vein) from No Cure For Cancer:

God.. "I'm just not happy. I'm just not happy. I'm just not happy because my life didn't turn out the way I thought it would." Hey! Join the fucking club, ok!? I thought I was going to be the starting center fielder for the Boston Red Sox. Life sucks, get a fucking helmet, allright?! "I'm not happy. I'm not happy." Nobody's happy, ok!? Happiness comes in small doses folks. It's a cigarette, or a chocolate cookie, or a five second orgasm. That's it, ok! You cum, you eat the cookie, you smoke the butt, you go to sleep, you get up in the morning and go to fucking work, ok!? That is it! End of fucking list! "I'm just not happy." Shut the fuck up, allright? That's the name of my new book, "Shut the Fuck Up, by Doctor Denis Leary. A revolutionary new form of therapy." I'm gonna have my patients come in. "Doctor, I.." "Shut the fuck up, next!" "I don't feel so.." "Shut the fuck up, next!" "He made me feel so much better about myself, you know? He just told me to shut the fuck up and nobody had ever told me that before. I feel so much better now." Whining fucking maggots.

I got yr "intriguing encounter between East and West" hangin'...
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 12:27 AM   #28
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
I usually just cut my thighs.
Old 03.20.2007, 01:43 AM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I usually just cut my thighs.
ouch--

how was yr brthday btw? and did you like the crabs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior

My dad has a hammock at his house. I would recommend a hammock if you haven't already switched over to the Gilligan's Island way of life. But really, aren't hammocks the greatest? Someone please back me up on this.

hah, luxy, you dont' need backup, but i DO have a hammock & i LOVE IT. i use it with a pillow, a large bookbag, and a pitcher of lemonade with lots of ice; then i start to read, fall asleep in 20 minutes, the lemonade warms up & the pillow is on the ground when i wake up, but it's pure pleasure, i love it. my neighbor just hanged one outside her house and i'm going to test it as soon as i can.
Old 03.20.2007, 01:57 AM   #30
something
bad moon rising

something kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's assessomething kicks all y'all's asses
chain smoke and drink lots of coffee or go bowling

http://www.myspace.com/usedtoaster
something is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 04:57 AM   #31
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
Swim (assuming that you can). The repeated actions required for swimming can put you in an almost meditative state and help clear the brain (albeit only temporarily) of all the crap that is going on in there. Also it stimulates the production of endorphins.

And I second the TV thing. The majority of TV just pumps negative images into your mind. And as far as music goes, I wouldn't ban it when sleeping, just be selective in what you have playing.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 06:04 AM   #32
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
Swim (assuming that you can). The repeated actions required for swimming can put you in an almost meditative state and help clear the brain (albeit only temporarily) of all the crap that is going on in there. Also it stimulates the production of endorphins.

And I second the TV thing. The majority of TV just pumps negative images into your mind. And as far as music goes, I wouldn't ban it when sleeping, just be selective in what you have playing.

That with swimming is absolutely true. Swimming does clear all negative things out of my head every time I do it, and I know what I'm talking about - I've been involved in quite serious depression lately.

Also jogging is fine, but not as great as a good swim.

Joga works (put on some ambient and meditate for half an hour and things will look brighter).

A walk in the fresh air works.

Smell of blooming trees helps (thank God it's spring again).

Avoid cigarettes, alcohol and caffeine. Those things are of no help when you feel like shit.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 08:10 AM   #33
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Well I would have said drinking. And don't avoid caffiene! Makes me feel better always!
Old 03.20.2007, 08:13 AM   #34
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
Well I would have said drinking. And don't avoid caffiene! Makes me feel better always!

caffeine makes depressive people even more anxious.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 11:45 AM   #35
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
I'm sorry to hear that, crypto.

My stress relievers:
Cigarettes
Kava Kava
Ganj

and formerly:
Alcohol
Old 03.20.2007, 11:50 AM   #36
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
to supress my depression and anxiety, i started eating food during the day, like breakfast and lunch. I also stopped going to bed so late.
Old 03.20.2007, 03:51 PM   #37
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
I believe there's some kind of link between fat intake and mood - too much/too little can cause mood swings and depression, but I can't remember which.

Aside from that, what's wrong with prescription drugs? If you're changing your life habits to achieve "happiness," that's induced too, isn't it?

I like pills. They're easy.
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 03:57 PM   #38
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by truncated
I believe there's some kind of link between fat intake and mood - too much/too little can cause mood swings and depression, but I can't remember which.

Aside from that, what's wrong with prescription drugs? If you're changing your life habits to achieve "happiness," that's induced too, isn't it?

I like pills. They're easy.

yeah bad fats (pork, mutton) will fuck up your chemistry, good fats (olive oil, *cough* nuts, fish) are good for your nervous system.

on the hm pill question im ambivalent. on the one hand they are good for emergencies (i've taken them), on the other hand they don't change the way a person thinks about themselves, which i believe is the root of depression. but of course im not a shrink.

--
editor's note: i'm using "themselves" as the 3rd person genderless pronoun
Old 03.20.2007, 04:02 PM   #39
ploesj
invito al cielo

ploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's assesploesj kicks all y'all's asses
sing! that cheers you up. no matter what you sing. and move, talk to people, do something.

flickr

ploesj is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.20.2007, 04:08 PM   #40
ondskan
children of satan

ondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's assesondskan kicks all y'all's asses
Crypto; World of fucking Warcraft.
ondskan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth