Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Are there any art nerds here?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.17.2008, 08:40 AM   #21
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses

Like that.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 08:42 AM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
YES! I am a full on art nerd, and in fact, I get a half day off today so I am going to the Museum of fine arts houston and stealing some of those artist's great ideas.

haahahh!

I love the expensive watercolor paper, the kind that is around $15 for a 4'x3' piece. It is the most thick textured bad-assicity that I cn find.
I use gouache watercolors for their opacity, and I prefer the russian gouaches, w3hich for some reason are just very vibrant and crisp, and retain their hue even when thinned out .
but I will use whatI have too.
I have tons of drawings and pieces made off office supplies, like liquid paper, marker, ballpoint, etc.
for my watercolors I like to use natural bristle brushes.

for my pen and brush and ink work I have to have water resistant india ink, and chinese bamboo brushes. they are the best for a liquid medium. I get some fantastic effects and the drawings always turn out kick ass.

I have not painted in oils in years and need to get ack into it for that is where the money lies.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:43 AM   #23
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
I'm pretty sure its a composite image because the focal depth for the fake teeth and the cereal would be really different. Unless the teeth are really large and sit closer to the subject. The photo isn't taken from inside someone's mouth though, its taken fro behind some dentures.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:53 AM   #24
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
YES! I am a full on art nerd, and in fact, I get a half day off today so I am going to the Museum of fine arts houston and stealing some of those artist's great ideas.

haahahh!

I love the expensive watercolor paper, the kind that is around $15 for a 4'x3' piece. It is the most thick textured bad-assicity that I cn find.
I use gouache watercolors for their opacity, and I prefer the russian gouaches, w3hich for some reason are just very vibrant and crisp, and retain their hue even when thinned out .
but I will use whatI have too.
I have tons of drawings and pieces made off office supplies, like liquid paper, marker, ballpoint, etc.
for my watercolors I like to use natural bristle brushes.

for my pen and brush and ink work I have to have water resistant india ink, and chinese bamboo brushes. they are the best for a liquid medium. I get some fantastic effects and the drawings always turn out kick ass.

I have not painted in oils in years and need to get ack into it for that is where the money lies.
the hardest thing i find with art supplies is the amount of animal products in them.. But i still ure sable brushes for everything i paint except my charcoal work, where i use uh, takylon? Sable hair esp loads up with so much paint or ink you can draw or paint without dragging for much longer. The takylon i like for ..
Old 10.17.2008, 08:55 AM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Okay.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 08:59 AM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Thank Mario for animals.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:02 AM   #27
phoenix
invito al cielo

Smudging and softening charcoal drawings. I've never used russian guache(what brand is it?) and only ever used it a few times. I love it on design work, my partner works in theatre so i get to see a lot of exhibits of set design when i visit him at work.
oil isn't only where the money is though, there are lots of artists making plenty of money without breaking out the oils. Plus, its hard to make money without spending money using oils. I dream for the day when i can afford the 500 dollar tube of purple paint. Ha!
I've started playing around with encaustic lately, but wish i knew someone who has used it a fair bit to teach me more..
Old 10.17.2008, 09:04 AM   #28
phoenix
invito al cielo

Excuse my short staggered posts. My phone doesn't like me writing essays. Ha ha.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:06 AM   #29
phoenix
invito al cielo

Rob have you tried other asian broad wash brushes as well as the caligraphy ones? They're really great to work with, you should try if you haven't.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:14 AM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I have tried those bruhses, but the work I do does not call for them too much.. They are beautiful brushes though.

I do not remember the brand name of the gouache I use. I love it's brightnes though

as far as oils, it is just easier to frame and sell oils than it is to frame and mount 4 foot long watercolor paintings, or 6 fopot long drawings.
it also allows for easier storage once the oils are dry.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:22 AM   #31
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
I have tried those bruhses, but the work I do does not call for them too much.. They are beautiful brushes though.

I do not remember the brand name of the gouache I use. I love it's brightnes though

as far as oils, it is just easier to frame and sell oils than it is to frame and mount 4 foot long watercolor paintings, or 6 fopot long drawings.
it also allows for easier storage once the oils are dry.
not to argue for the sake of it but i totally disagree. Its not any harddr to mount works on paper, in fact its easier. Canvas works should really be framed up by a professional to prevent damage to the work, where as paper works you can buy or have a frame made, then fit it yourself.. and works on paper are usually easier to store because they're often smaller and less bulky. 4 or 6 feet isn't that long, certainly not longer than an average oil painting. But if mounting really was an issue, you don't need to sell a work with frame. my 2 cents.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:26 AM   #32
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I don;t know. I have been painting and drawing for decades and a canvas can get hung up with no frame at any time. a piece of paper 4 foot by 5 foot is a motherfucking BITCH to mount, and very expensive. there are no frames fro it, glass must be custom cut, mat's do not come in that size, it is a royal pain in the ass to frame and mount large wiorks on paper. I have painted with oils as large as 6 foot by 10 foot, and that was a breeze to hang as opposed to the large works on paper.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:26 AM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

most oil paintings are actually around 3 foot by 4 foot or smaller BTW
Old 10.17.2008, 09:30 AM   #34
phoenix
invito al cielo

The second one is really interesting, is that gouache? How did you make it? The first one is nice too.. Makes me think of lino cut.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:33 AM   #35
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
most oil paintings are actually around 3 foot by 4 foot or smaller BTW
uh, most according to who?
many paintings from 16th to 19th century were quite small, but this was more to do with resources. Modern and contemporary art helped along by industrial revolution mean there really is no average. Though in my experience smaller oil works are the exception rather than the ple..
Old 10.17.2008, 09:34 AM   #36
phoenix
invito al cielo

Rule*
Old 10.17.2008, 09:39 AM   #37
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
I don;t know. I have been painting and drawing for decades and a canvas can get hung up with no frame at any time. a piece of paper 4 foot by 5 foot is a motherfucking BITCH to mount, and very expensive. there are no frames fro it, glass must be custom cut, mat's do not come in that size, it is a royal pain in the ass to frame and mount large wiorks on paper. I have painted with oils as large as 6 foot by 10 foot, and that was a breeze to hang as opposed to the large works on paper.
Large works on paper can be hung in two ways without a frame.. With clips hung from tracks, or with accetate tabs which are fixed to the back of the work, and the work is then pinned through the tabs.
sorry i only mentioned how hard oils were to mount because i thought we were talking about mounting canvas work compared to works on paper.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:42 AM   #38
phoenix
invito al cielo

My point is more that just because its painted in oil, doesn't mean it is worth more money. Or even just because it is on canvas. I'm not trying to be rude at all BTW. It kind of feels as though you're being a little patronising, but i know a lot of artists, so i'm used to that.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:46 AM   #39
phoenix
invito al cielo

Oh btw mount mats do come that big i have one on my wall right now. Heh.
Old 10.17.2008, 10:16 AM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I am just describing what the market will pay for

you could paint the same image with gouache on a four foot square paper, and the same image with oils on a 4 foot square canvas and the art market will pay triple or quadruple for the oil painting as opposed to the watercolor. that's just how it is. I was not being patronizing at all, just talking. of course that does not mean it is worth 4 times more, but that people are willing and ready to pay four times more for an oil as opposed to a watercolor. Durability is a big factor I guess.

that's just how it has seemed to me in my going on 20 years involved in making and selling art.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth