Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Comic youthers of the board--- ASSEMBLE!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.09.2007, 10:31 AM   #21
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
awesome! it was great how when she lost her powers she shaved her head and became even more forbidable than before
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 10:41 AM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Graphic Novels is a valid term. it is a fully self enclosed work, not a colletced series.

Will Eisner created the Graphic Novels and if you go to the library and get some of his stuf you will see. they are whole complete stories, intricate like novels, deep like a novel, but told in the graphic storytelling form.

"comic books" is an archaic term from when the first newspaper comic strips were colected together to forma voulme and sold back in the nineteen tens.

I have not read too much latrely, but I have a lot of favorites

I have the hardback edition of MAUS signed by Art Spiegelman. I read it every few years to remind me of whata mindblowingly fucking awesome work of art it is

I like the comic Bughouse, about jazz musicians who are drawn as bugs. very funny and real and odd.

I loev love LOVE the LOVE & ROCKETS comic books. I suggest everyone read all of them. they are fucking genius, abnd the hernandez brothers draw the hottest chicks this side of archie comics.

I collect all the Sandman,. some people do not like, but I love them. they are richer and denser and artsier and more mythologically REAL than most any other comic book out there. written with genius.

I love the Watchmen if anyone has not read it, it is the ultimate comic book deconstruction of th super hero mythos.

I love dark Night returns and DK2.

I love Frank Miller's SIN CITY. I collect thos ecomics. ther are pure insane manic sick genius.

One of my personal favorites which not too many people got into are the SHADOW comics done in the late 80's by DC. The first 6 were drawn by Bill seinkeqicz, one of my faves, and the rest were drawn by Kyle Baker. they are fucking sick twisted amoral insanity, a modern day u[pdate of The Shadow, my faviorite pulp character.
They are also really affordable to buy at comic stores or on Ebay. i recommend them highly.

I love batman of all types.
Old 02.09.2007, 11:02 AM   #23
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
in this one comic i have, its like from '69 its a spiderman stories issue, there's and add of arnie schwartzeneger for some muscle products. its so very funny
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 04:08 PM   #24
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I've gone through my old comics recently. Good memories. I remember having any amount of money, and riding my bike to the comic book store (Ground Zero, was the name). I used to buy a lot of different Marvel titles, and the ineffable Maxx series.
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 04:36 PM   #25
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Is there a particular x-men series that's good, or is just going for the current stock a good idea? I'd imagine my step has a lot from the 70s/80s in the basement (i used to read a lot of his old spiderman comics)-- but Xmen I've only read the first few issues (i had a small reprint collec of the first 5 issues where they told of them coming into their powers in what not).

Whenever i used to have money I'd buy used cds. Got almost all of beck's music that way, but also a lot crap. that was part of the fun tho... because the next week you give it back and get something better, maybe.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 04:42 PM   #26
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I like the "pheonix saga" era x-men
Old 02.09.2007, 04:49 PM   #27
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
is that kind of where the movies were/are headed/heading?
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Old 02.09.2007, 05:01 PM   #28
Пятхъдесят Шест
invito al cielo

Пятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's assesПятхъдесят Шест kicks all y'all's asses
I know nothing about the current Marvel Universe. I think some of the original X-Men were killed off though, I think.

I used to read Generation X, X-Force, and X-Calibur. Not so much the Uncanny books. Though they were all connected in some way or another.

No else read The Maxx?
Пятхъдесят Шест is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 05:15 PM   #29
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I like the "pheonix saga" era x-men

that one owns
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 05:26 PM   #30
Massenvernichtungswaffen
stalker

Massenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's assesMassenvernichtungswaffen kicks all y'all's asses
i miss comics. I don't think you can buy them here anymore. yea, I live in a void, I know.

Jeg kysser katastrofer.

Massenvernichtungswaffen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 07:03 PM   #31
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Пятхъдесят Шест
I know nothing about the current Marvel Universe. I think some of the original X-Men were killed off though, I think.

presently, there are two Marvel Universes. there's the normal one and there's the Ultimate Marvel universe (which i prefer). essentially, sales were slacking, so Marvel rebooted the entire universe with more badass art and cooler stories.
Old 02.09.2007, 10:52 PM   #32
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I collect all the Sandman,. some people do not like, but I love them. they are richer and denser and artsier and more mythologically REAL than most any other comic book out there. written with genius.

Good call on Sandman, it's a great one. I'm surprised I missed it in my previous post
Old 02.10.2007, 09:28 AM   #33
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
The title of this thread made me think of Johnny Five.

Stephanie! Cricket is not moving. Hurt. Disassembled. :[
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 11:23 PM   #34
hey alex
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
The title of this thread made me think of Johnny Five.

Stephanie! Cricket is not moving. Hurt. Disassembled. :[

ooooooh damn----
that brings me back like pepsi blue

Old 02.11.2007, 12:06 AM   #35
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses

My favorite comic superhero

2nd fave

finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.11.2007, 12:25 AM   #36
hey alex
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody

My favorite comic superhero

Poor kid. He's runnign away from his worst fear but has no idea the hideous horrors of the beastman's crotch, about the faceplant him. His closet will evict the boogieman in it's favor.

Old 02.11.2007, 11:07 AM   #37
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm....
I'm by no means an expert, but I do pick up the odd comic now and then (well, actually, more 'graphic novels').
Aside from lots already mentioned (dan clowes' stuff (esp. David Boring), watchmen, sandman, MAUS) I really like robert crumb (especially his one about blues musicians - i think called 'crumb draws the blues'), V for Vendetta, From Hell, American Splendor/Quitter.... Peanuts is always great, and you can pick up the little books pretty cheaply and easily from charity shops. I also recently read a comic called 'ripple' which was bizarre, and I don't really know what to make of it. Jeffrey Lewis' comic Guff/Fuff is uite good, but then I might only like it because I'm a big fan of his music. Who knows?

As for online comics I follow Achewood almost religiously, and occasionally look at the Perry Bible Fellowship, and Overcompensating.

I guess I would be more into it but for the expense and the fact that the people who work in comic shops are always really snooty with me and its a little soul destroying.
Old 02.13.2007, 05:18 AM   #38
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
When I hear comics, I think of Marvel & stop there.
I relate to what a friend a mine once stated : what makes the price of those stories is that they are poorly drawn. And I would add that it can't be read, as it is stuffed with gross adds.
I base my views on very old comics. I stopped buying that stuff when I was 15.
I got to re-read some X-Men issues (in French, with less adds), and got puzzled by the Banshee talking about James Joyce! I wouldn't have expected that.

I tend to appreciate junk at times. And, looking for EC Comics covers on the net, I found a site loaded with comics covers from a loooong time ago.

And it made me laugh quite a lot, to see good guys who never made it, to see how rigidly drawn some heroes were in their youth (Wonder Woman in the 40ies).
And I chuckle at the lack of imagination of the authors (look at the covers of Jungle Comics and you'll see what I mean) - my brother used to like Comics and heroic fantasy and I never understood that, as he seemed to pick the ones where the only blatant input of the author was in the name of the characters, planets, spaceships and so on. Well, naming someone Oo-nag'arh doesn't bring much.

I think that what I like the most in these Comics is the thought that the artists would be ashamed of their work today. Noone in their right mind would buy without feeling bad comics like those portraying Japanese soldiers as ugly greenish-yellowish midgets beaten to a pulp by strong allies of the free world.
Racism shows also in Jungle Comics. This is amazing.

So here's the link :
http://bcotd.com/crypt.html
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2007, 05:36 AM   #39
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses

I love Adrian Tomine's 'Optic Nerve' series, i have issues 1-8 of them, im only missing issue 9, and he is currently writing issue 10.

And of course Daniel Clowes (who Tomine is a big fan of). I will always love Ghost World and Ice Haven.

screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2007, 05:58 AM   #40
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull

I love Adrian Tomine's 'Optic Nerve' series, i have issues 1-8 of them, im only missing issue 9, and he is currently writing issue 10.

And of course Daniel Clowes (who Tomine is a big fan of). I will always love Ghost World and Ice Haven.

if you're a fan of tomine you might be interested in this:

The Push Man & Other Stories

Yoshihiro Tatsumi

Legendary cartoonist Yoshihiro Tatsumi is the grandfather of alternative manga for the adult reader. Predating the advent of the literary graphic novel movement in the US by thirty years, Tatsumi created a library of literary comics that draws parallels with modern prose fiction and today’s alternative comics.

Designed and edited by one of today’s most popular cartoonists, Adrian Tomine, The Push Man and Other Stories is the debut volume in a groundbreaking new series that collects Tatsumi’s short stories about Japanese urban life. Tatsumi’s stories are simultaneously haunting, disturbing, and darkly humorous, commenting on the interplay between an overwhelming, bustling, crowded, modern society and the troubled emotional and sexual life of the individual.

A lone man travels the country, projecting pornographic films for private individuals while attempting to maintain a normal home life. A medical student lives a secret life as a sperm donor, and finds his world turned upside down when his donations are rejected by the fertility clinic. A young couple's marriage is irrevocably affected when a sewer rat takes up residence in their home. The lives of two men become intertwined when one hires the other to observe his sexual escapades through a telescope. An auto mechanic's obsession with a female TV personality turns fatal after a chance meeting between the two.

"What a revelation this book is. I'd no idea that long before writers like Haruki Murakami and Kenzo Kitakata, the work of Yoshihiro Tatsumi had so expertly peeled away the laquered layers of Japanese social and sexual surfaces to reveal the elemental heart beneath, and with such fearless depth of feeling. Decades ahead of its time and long overdue for US publication."
–Chip Kidd

"From the moment I read Tatsumi , he shot to the top of my short list of favorite cartoonists for adults. His direct story telling style is bracing and raises the bar pretty high for those of us trying to entertain intelligent grown ups."
–Gilbert Hernandez

"Tatsumi's comics are clean and straightforward without pretentious tricks. Storytelling at its best." –Jaime Hernandez

preview pdf
http://www.drawnandquarterly.com/ima...ac986cb638.pdf
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth