Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Why do I feel Like I hate colege?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.14.2007, 11:50 AM   #21
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, I didn't read every thread here cause I have to go back to work soon, so maybe this was already brought up. If you don't go to college, you will get stuck in a go-nowhere mediocre job. But if you go ahead, push through the struggle and finish college, do you have any idea what doors open and what future lays before you? You will get stuck in a go-nowhere mediocre job, plus you will have a bunch of student loans to pay. College is a scam. Initiative and drive are what get you where you want to go, not a degree. That's why Dave Thomas of Wendy's never finished school, while half of the servers at Applebee's have their associates.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 11:58 AM   #22
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
bullshit - maybe in an over drugged, over fed, over aggressive culture like the US, they aren't like that in Australia

maybe you are thinking psychologists. psychiatrists write Rx's....that's what makes them a psychiatrist versus a psychologist.

then again, what do I know? I'm over drugged, over fed and over aggressive. ROOOAR! where's my super-sized thorazine big mac??

I blame vegemite deficiency.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 12:00 PM   #23
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by afterthefact
Ok, I didn't read every thread here cause I have to go back to work soon, so maybe this was already brought up. If you don't go to college, you will get stuck in a go-nowhere mediocre job. But if you go ahead, push through the struggle and finish college, do you have any idea what doors open and what future lays before you? You will get stuck in a go-nowhere mediocre job, plus you will have a bunch of student loans to pay. College is a scam. Initiative and drive are what get you where you want to go, not a degree. That's why Dave Thomas of Wendy's never finished school, while half of the servers at Applebee's have their associates.

well, yes and no. for every dave thomas (or bill gates, or woody allen) there are millions of people making minimum wage and struggling to get a degree while working full time and raising children-- degrees pay off.

of course wankers with no initiative will remain what they are whether they get a college degree or not. college is what you make of it, and if you work your ass off, it will pay off very nicely.

now if i were to get an associates, i'd be an electrician rather than some wankery degree.

--
and before i forget: there are MANY professions where a degree is required. you simply can't be a nurse or doctor without a degree, for example. licensed professions require study.

---

and i'll add futher: why does everybody who does NOT finish college feel compelled to justify their choice by encouraging others to do the same?

---

EDIT: and furthermore!
dave thomas grew up in a different era. the fact is that today's jobs require a greater degree of knowledge and the BA is soon becoming the new high school diploma.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 12:24 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
yes.

university has been changed in the past 25 years froma place for higher education and the learning of critical thinking, to a place you go to to get a good job afterwards. That is such bullshit. University should eb taken with the main intention of betterment, of learning, of exposing yourself to opeope and culture and wisdom you would not otherwise have access to.
to treat university as some sort of fucking job mill demeans it.
I knew and know many people who go just because they want a job in an office and they need a bacheklors in buisness or that ever favorite "communications" to get a good starting job.

fuck that
if you want a good job go to trade school.

if you want to learn and expand your mind (and it takes a lot of work and rigor) then you should go to university.
Old 03.14.2007, 12:25 PM   #26
luxinterior
invito al cielo

luxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's assesluxinterior kicks all y'all's asses
I was having a rough time in college before I transferred. I started seeing a counselor (for the third time in my life) and once again, I did not feel that it helped. The only thing that helped was getting the hell out of there. I transferred to a community college back home. So far school is pretty good. I don't have any friends, but I am realizing that I don't really care about friends. Friends and I have never gotten along too well in the past. I don't know why that is. I much prefer just being around my family.

"I sweat like a fucking nun on Sunday...I don't even know what that means."
- Sebastian Bach

luxinterior is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 12:33 PM   #27
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
and so it doesn't seem like a waste of a contribution let me add.

most of my friends who finished college have good jobs, my lady friend is handling product development at wal mart, my other friend is assistant to the director of red pack (ups-like for corporates here) and handles many accounts on his own and another friend is the owner of a big meat by products company that is, on his watch, already exporting to 8 countries, including germany; my ex is managing a chain of hotels and...well i can't remember all of them.

of course, some of them are working as secretaries ande office boys but that's because they can't do/don't know better.

not everyone i studied with are doing the bohemian life like me.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 12:46 PM   #28
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
well, yes and no. for every dave thomas (or bill gates, or woody allen) there are millions of people making minimum wage and struggling to get a degree while working full time and raising children-- degrees pay off.

of course wankers with no initiative will remain what they are whether they get a college degree or not. college is what you make of it, and if you work your ass off, it will pay off very nicely.

now if i were to get an associates, i'd be an electrician rather than some wankery degree.

--
and before i forget: there are MANY professions where a degree is required. you simply can't be a nurse or doctor without a degree, for example. licensed professions require study.

---

and i'll add futher: why does everybody who does NOT finish college feel compelled to justify their choice by encouraging others to do the same?

---

EDIT: and furthermore!
dave thomas grew up in a different era. the fact is that today's jobs require a greater degree of knowledge and the BA is soon becoming the new high school diploma.

Burn, burn, and triple burn! But I guess you are right. I did drop out of college. Twice actually. Yeah, I know, it's pathetic. And don't think I'm not reminded of that by my mom, brother, wife, etc., all of the time. So maybe I feel that if I can get more people to follow in my way, then the rule that majority wins will go into effect and I will be in the right again.
Old 03.14.2007, 12:50 PM   #29
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
autodidactism for the win!
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 01:05 PM   #30
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
autodidacts rule.......
Old 03.14.2007, 01:44 PM   #31
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Burn, burn, and triple burn! But I guess you are right. I did drop out of college. Twice actually. Yeah, I know, it's pathetic. And don't think I'm not reminded of that by my mom, brother, wife, etc., all of the time. So maybe I feel that if I can get more people to follow in my way, then the rule that majority wins will go into effect and I will be in the right again.

sorry it was not my intention to burn, but i do see encouraging people to drop out of college as a bit of a crime. now i don't think dropping out is necessarily pathetic-- sometimes people aren't ready for it when they're 18 (they wanna drink, fuck, and be goofy), but eventually the pressures of the world arrive and an education becomes the door to a better life (however you wanna define that). now, you're a smart person, and with a caring wife nagging your ass about it you'll probably look into one of those online degree programs eventually. i think those are good, because the people who take them actually see them as important for their careers & take them seriously & profit from them.

now i ALSO agree w/ rob about college as a mindexpanding experience-- that's mainly what it was for me; i studied biology & do not work in it-- but i did meet amazing people, learned incredible things, and did stuff that i would not have been able to do if i had been surrounded by corporate drones in their desks. the education i got, while not directly utilized, equipped me for further adventures in thought & reason that would have been closed to me otherwise.

but yes also who sez you can't expand your mind AND get a decent job afterwards? you definitely can.

and about autodidactism: most of the things i've learned i learned on my own. you don't have to limit yourself to college-- you can be an autodidact BEYOND college. as a matter of fact, the work i currently do i learned wholly by myself from books & other sources. yet the academic education i got gave me the tools to make this process smooth AND it added a scope of knowledge & understanding that opens more doors than you can imagine.

anyway blah blah blah, my lunch break is over, the boss (that's me) is calling.
Old 03.14.2007, 03:02 PM   #32
afterthefact
invito al cielo

Quote:
you'll probably look into one of those online degree programs eventually.

I doubt it. My wife doesn't nag me about getting an education. In fact, she doesn't want me to go back to school. She just gets on me for having gone twice and dropping out both times
Old 03.14.2007, 03:14 PM   #33
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I doubt it. My wife doesn't nag me about getting an education. In fact, she doesn't want me to go back to school. She just gets on me for having gone twice and dropping out both times

oh! ah! i misunderstood
Old 03.14.2007, 03:47 PM   #34
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
is it because you cant spell college?

beat me to it, bastard.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 07:37 PM   #35
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
maybe you are thinking psychologists. psychiatrists write Rx's....that's what makes them a psychiatrist versus a psychologist.

then again, what do I know? I'm over drugged, over fed and over aggressive. ROOOAR! where's my super-sized thorazine big mac??

I blame vegemite deficiency.

no i'm not think psychologists, go get you big mac
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 08:03 PM   #36
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks for all your input. Especially Rob and Unmentionable. I still feel shitty, but like I said before this is my only way out. I do like though the different ideas teachers have, and people I've met. But I am coming down already off of this.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.14.2007, 08:12 PM   #37
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by luxinterior
I was having a rough time in college before I transferred. I started seeing a counselor (for the third time in my life) and once again, I did not feel that it helped. The only thing that helped was getting the hell out of there. I transferred to a community college back home. So far school is pretty good. I don't have any friends, but I am realizing that I don't really care about friends. Friends and I have never gotten along too well in the past. I don't know why that is. I much prefer just being around my family.

sorry luxy. maybe it was too much stress for you to handle at the time. looks like the slower pace & convenient location is working for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
Thanks for all your input. Especially Rob and Unmentionable. I still feel shitty, but like I said before this is my only way out. I do like though the different ideas teachers have, and people I've met. But I am coming down already off of this.

hell yes man-- only way out is about right. stick it out, learn to deal, you'll get what you want. and you know there are plenty resources for you to enjoy if you look around. was this your 1st semester? 2nd? ??
Old 03.15.2007, 01:17 AM   #38
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynthethicalY
I do, but I can't drop out because I see no other way to get out of this shithole I live in. I have been feeling shitty since two weeks ago. I am getting frustrated and I see no way out of this shitty thing I am in. I am starting to hate the values I once held closely, like caring for other people even if I do not know them, I just want to tell them get a fucking job or shut the fuck up and go and live your life without me. I hate elitist people more than anything, because they for once think they are better than I or the rest of the world. Frankly my dear you are a worthless piece of flesh, and you will die out like I will. And your last breath will be some vain attempt to salvage your soul, truth be told you are the last person to go to heaven. I want to cry, but I can't because BOYS DON'T CRY. I want to leave and never come back, and I think this is absurd because from what I know of my childhood I know I had a good life. And I truly love my family, and so forth. Well what it all comes down to is I want to live life, but I feel contrived to do what I am doing now.

Sorry for posting this, but need to vent out.

Don't worry. I feel the same way. I just finished my second quarter of college and I hate it. I don't just hate college, I hate all school (elementary, junior high, high school); I always have. But throughout my whole life I could see no other way to get out of my status in society other than by getting a good education. I knew at a very young age that I had to go to college. I, like you, also want to leave. I have a great family and I had a great childhood too. But I just want to go far way and be on my own. But I can't; I need to finish school, pay off my car, and my mom would not take my departure very well.

Right now, I plan to get my degree and after that I'll just leave. I love my family, but I just want to drop out and leave and live on my own.

Anyways, just keep trying to go to shcool. You've gone for 12 years so you might as well go for 4 more. It'll go by fast. I'm almost finishing my first year and it feels like I just started. Also, make friends at school. It really helps.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 01:20 AM   #39
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
at this point i don't even consider it an option.
whatever happened to college radio?
Old 03.15.2007, 01:21 AM   #40
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I think it died out, cantanky. I blame the mass media for destroying it. However my school did have a radio when I was eating dinner there.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth