Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page SY on Vinyl
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.14.2007, 09:56 PM   #21
iskandertime
little trouble girl

iskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's assesiskandertime kicks all y'all's asses
most LPs are cheaper than CDs anyway, at least in my area. I just picked up the Grinderman LP for $10.00 brand new. CDs go for $13.00 around here. I love records for lots of resons, both practical (to me they sound better) and personal (I started buying records in 1978 and to me that's just what music comes on).
iskandertime is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.14.2007, 10:43 PM   #22
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
you can't really be limited to how you listen to music though, because if you are interested in b-sides you can get different ones on different formats, and the rarest ones happen to be on 7" because it's niche.
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 09:16 AM   #23
_DK
empty page

_DK is a splendid one to behold_DK is a splendid one to behold_DK is a splendid one to behold_DK is a splendid one to behold_DK is a splendid one to behold_DK is a splendid one to behold_DK is a splendid one to behold_DK is a splendid one to behold
I don't have the time to answer everyone, sorry.
I don't buy music. I record it myself.
_DK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.15.2007, 11:01 AM   #24
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DK

piracy.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.16.2007, 12:57 AM   #25
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _DK

you must be one of those rare musicians on the board......... and don't buy music so you can be cool and not be influenced by any other band.....
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 04:11 PM   #26
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
Vinyls are the way to go. I don't own that many and only have a shitty $30 garage sale turntable and speaker bundle that has more than likely gathered dust and rat shit in some basement since the early 70s. Even then, vinyls are still the format for me.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 07:58 PM   #27
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
one is no better than the other, they have completely different qualities.

well this day and age every cd coming out has to get mastered as loudly as possible. they're so fucking loud that there's a huge amount of clipping - loss of dynamic range.

Vinyl does not share this problem and it presents a truer representation of how the music is supposed to sound.

Look:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

Read:

http://entertainment.timesonline.co....cle1878724.ece
Protectmeyou is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.17.2007, 08:12 PM   #28
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
well this day and age every cd coming out has to get mastered as loudly as possible. they're so fucking loud that there's a huge amount of clipping - loss of dynamic range.

Vinyl does not share this problem and it presents a truer representation of how the music is supposed to sound.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=3Gmex_4hreQ

none of the albums i have have clipping on them and if they do it is because it is a local band that has no money and records themselves without really knowing how to use the gear properly. do you know what digital clipping sounds like. there is a loss of dynamic range because of the brick wall limiting that most mastering suites put on recordings these. but one question is how is the music supposed to sound and why does vinyl give a truer representation? if anything digital recordings (minus processing) are a truer representation because digital does not roll off frequencies like analog repro gear does.
Old 08.17.2007, 08:53 PM   #29
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

Protectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's assesProtectmeyou kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
none of the albums i have have clipping on them

oh yeah? do you have Sonic Youth on cd?? all of the their cd's from "Washing Machine" onwards have clipping and reduced dynamic range.
I'll hazard a guess there's more than just SY too. virtually every cd released on a major from the mid 90's onwards has clipping.

Vinyl is a fairer representation because it's impossible to master a vinyl mix loud enough for it to clip; the needle would literally jump out of the groove if it was. Correct me if I'm wrong but I haven't heard any reports of that happening yet
Old 08.17.2007, 09:03 PM   #30
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

there is no clipping on these albums, there is limiting, tell me exactly where they clip
Old 08.17.2007, 09:29 PM   #31
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

have you looked at the wav files? there's clipping throughout the ENTIRE SONGS and the dynamic range is completely chopped. total brick walls on the most recent albums.

"Skip Tracer" cd wav screen grab:

"Reena" cd wav:

Old 08.17.2007, 09:39 PM   #32
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Protectmeyou
have you looked at the wav files? there's clipping throughout the ENTIRE SONGS and the dynamic range is completely chopped. total brick walls om the most recent albums.

"Skip Tracer" cd wav screen grab:

"Reena" cd wav:

that is not clipping. those are post mastering imports into a cheap program. the wave form looks like that because limiting has been added in the mastering process. limiting allows the overall volume to be increased, however it does affect the dynamic range, but those wave forms do not represent clipping. if you use a real program that allows you to zoom in to properly see the data sample by sample you will find that none of the data goes beyond around -1 to -0.1dB. which is the average to what most mastering studios will master too these days. clipping does not sound good. the wave forms you show are not clipping they are just being limited.
Old 08.17.2007, 09:49 PM   #33
Protectmeyou
bad moon rising

gotya, sorry, I'm not wording it properly.

but yeah, my point is that cd's from the mid 90's onwards have the dynamic range reduced and it is a far less representation of the original sound than what vinyl is.
Old 08.17.2007, 10:29 PM   #34
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

here is .03 of a second of three sonic youth tracks: Reena, Skiptracer and Eyeliner (a direct rip of the 7" with no extra processing.

Old 02.11.2008, 01:49 PM   #35
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
I'm not sure if this is just exclusive to my cassette copy, but in the liner notes of Experimental Jet Set someone (probably Thurston) has written "cut to sex vinyl and cd freeze frame by...". That kind of sums this up for me, CDs just feel like copies, soul-less reproductions, whilst vinyls like sex, different everytime, but always good. My work here is done.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.11.2008, 02:12 PM   #36
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
gud point
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.11.2008, 02:24 PM   #37
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
exclusive to my cassette copy

Does anyone still collect cassettes by the way, or I have I gone into completely obsolete territory? They're just so damned cheap these days, but I guess it is kinda weird me buying them especially seeing as I was born after CDs were released.

Yeah, thats right, I quoted myself.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2008, 02:06 PM   #38
hune.prut
little trouble girl

hune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to beholdhune.prut is a splendid one to behold
Better sound. Simpel as that!
hune.prut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2008, 02:17 PM   #39
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
they never even made 8 inch records
just 7" and 10" and 12"
right?

i think the hot water music/tomorrow split was on 11 inch. i never had an 8 inch record though.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.13.2008, 02:20 PM   #40
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I tend to think of the LP as the mainstream of formats, and everything else, from 8 tracks to CDs, has merely been a branch off that stream. It always comes back to the LP.

But it's all a matter of personal preference. LPs do require more care. You can leave your CDs scattered around the room out their cases because their indestructible, right? At least that's what they told us in the 80s.

Personally my ears can't tell the difference. It has a lot to do with the equipment you play it back on, of course. CDs played on shit equipment are going to sound like shit, as will LPs. For me, a lot of the appeal of LPs is the visual aesthetic, the packaging being larger and all that. And vinyl just smells so good!

I've just got it in my head that vinyl is the cooler format, so for me, the LP is the format of choice. I'll buy a CD if the release is something I'm craving and it's either unavailable on LP or very hard to find or expensive. But that's happening less and less, because almost everything is being simultaneously released on vinyl and CD these days, and almost everything has been reissued on LP, or will be.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth