People genuinely see something, but it's not 'ghosts' 6 15.00%
Dunno 7 17.50%
Sounds like bobbins, but who can tell? 1 2.50%
Ghosts? Bollocks, more like 11 27.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06.05.2006, 05:05 PM   #21
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I've actually done quite a bit of research on this question and given a speech on it (granted, a small, graded, classroom speech) this year.

I've come to the conclusion, given the obscene amount of alleged sightings and whatnot, that yes, they (or something like them) do exist. However, I believe that 100% of photographic evidence, and in fact all forms of tangible evidence, is complete bullshit. And that goes for the Sylvia Browne nonsense, as well. Obviously Montel doesn't bother to google her before he books her on 75% of his shows.

People see things, and it's far too common to count off as nothing. What it is, I don't know. I've never had a decent conversation about it without someone claiming to have seen one - usually it's more than one person.

I've never seen one, and I genuinely feel I never will, but I do believe that there is something externally responsible for what people see. Sometimes.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 05:07 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 05:13 PM   #23
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I'm on a board with people who obviously suffer from severe cases of arrested development, i.e., they are complete fucking nerds.

What so "interesting" about perpetuating lies?

Nothing.

Kids are fascinated with telling lies & finding their boundaries by doing so.
Adults are fascinated by telling lies because, well, they are either fucking carelessly irresponsible, arrogant & willfully ignorant or they are serving a fucking evil agenda with their lies.

I agree somewhat, IT'S NOT NOTHING, acousticrock87
IT DOES COME FROM SOMEWHERE & NOT THIN AIR

SEE:

Loch Ness Monster...yeah there probably was some remnant of the Pleistocene Era (i think that's the right era) in that Scottish lake many thousands of years ago & it grew by oral & written tradition to be this monster that is still there so that Scotland can get tourist dollars.

Bigfoot: The gigantipithecus is on fossil record. As homo sapiens learned to use tools & could kill them, they retreated to remote wildernesses & high mountains. There probably were sasquatch & yeti...a long time ago. They certainly don't exist today as we've basically mapped the whole earth & there are no recent remains.

Chupacabra: some fucking wild weasel or huge rodent that got blew up in someone's imagination for effect.

the biggie:
U F FUCKING Os
Most sightings are near military bases. They are military test aircraft plain & simple. The experimental aircraft that crashed at Roswell, NM contained the bodies of dead chimpanzees as pilots. It was a military experiment. It was duringthe cold war & naturally the government wanted to conceal information about the crash. Local yokels saw the bodies first & thought they must be aliens because they watch & read too much science fiction. When the government denied the crash, it only made people that much more suspicious. Then the CIA or whatever got invloved & realized that they could divide & conquer people with their belief systems & deliberately from time to time stage events that are taken to be UFO sightings.
If there are "visitors" of any type then they certainly don't travel by spaceship. As mass approaches the speed of light it expands to infinity.

I tried so very hard to keep it brief & simple for those of you who like to write "long wind" ---here's a real short message: FUCK OFF.
Alas, some of us have knowledge to write about, whereas most do not.

One would think that someone would be appreciative of the fact that I'm relating the truth, but instead people get their panties in a bunch because the truth fucks too hard with their little retarded fantasyland worldviews.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 05:23 PM   #24
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
FUCK OFF
some of us have knowledge to write about

how much time do you spend per day writing about knowledge?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 05:34 PM   #25
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
& that's why I wrote this in my first post, Hip Priest:
That makes the ghost real in that sense, because it is a manifestation of unconscious contents that we do not experience in our normal conscious waking state.
But in the sense of hollywood ghosts, no, that shit is not real. anyone who insists that ghosts are real is either ...

& that's why I voted
People genuinely see something, but it's not 'ghosts'

don't start some my side against your side bullshit with me because you're only inventing an argument where none exists.

People love to do that shit here. & regrettably, I usually get sucked down to their LEVEL.

Lies aren't interesting to me. Most paranormal shit is pure lies.
I like art & science a good deal more, excuse me.

The unconscious mind & the manifestations thereof are interesting to me. So much so, that I know a tremendous amount about the subject & can articulate my thoughts accordingly.

Can you understand that or would you like to keep this shit going?
Old 06.05.2006, 05:45 PM   #26
stirling
bad moon rising

stirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's asses
I took a picture of what appears to be a ghost, but I didn't see anything at the time. I need to go back and rule out other possibilities in order to satisfy my skepticism. This was in 1998 at the Crescent Hotel in Arkansas. (Sorry to be a tease, but I can't post the picture now, since I've lost my only print)

I don't believe atari's explanation above, but I also don't believe the common paranormal explanations (souls trapped on this plane and other nonsense). I lean towards something not supernatural, just not understood by science, yet. People have been seeing ghosts for a long time across cultures, but what ghosts are is purely conjecture.
stirling is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 06:04 PM   #27
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
what, that one didn't get a laugh from you atari? i must not be trying hard enough

Old 06.05.2006, 06:04 PM   #28
alyasa
invito al cielo

alyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's assesalyasa kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, I do believe there is some, as yet, unexplained phenomenon that occurs in relation to ghosts and ghost sightings. Most of the current theories and beliefs are hokey to the point of being intolerable though, I mean, paranormal activity meters? You mean my fucking refrigerator is a fucking spirit from the other world? Bullshit. We have to remember, people thought the world was flat once, and whoever thought otherwise was in big trouble.
Old 06.05.2006, 06:07 PM   #29
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

that was fucking hilarious
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 06:11 PM   #30
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

thank you !@#$%, i was thinking of something all seriouslike to post, and then it hit me, open it up with a classy joke, to emphasize the impossibility of taking such a thread in anyway seriously. kudos to atari, who can always find a way to build and reason on anything man, no matter what kind of crap is shot in his direction.

Old 06.05.2006, 06:12 PM   #31
atari 2600
invito al cielo

I see dead people.
Old 06.05.2006, 06:21 PM   #32
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
I see dead people.

when i was in high school, i was smoking pot with my friend and with his considerable mexican accent he said "Aye See Ded Peepal" out of no where. damn that was funny.

Old 06.05.2006, 06:43 PM   #33
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Atari, are you high?

I answered that I believe in ghosts. I think they are more of supernatural footprints than lost souls though. I've never seen a ghost, but I have had supernatural experiences- I have been to cold spots, etc. Human souls don't linger on earth. I do believe in non-human supernatural entities though.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 07:09 PM   #34
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by stirling
I took a picture of what appears to be a ghost, but I didn't see anything at the time. I need to go back and rule out other possibilities in order to satisfy my skepticism. This was in 1998 at the Crescent Hotel in Arkansas. (Sorry to be a tease, but I can't post the picture now, since I've lost my only print)

gee, isn't that a shame?

ever heard of a double exposure or overexposure to create an orb or blob of white? Then there's dust & pollen too.

people that think blurrs & orbs in photos are ghosts are downright lunatics.

Seriously, go live with some apes where you can contribute something to their society. You're only fucking up human society.

A Gallup Poll in 2001 revealed that 38% of Americans believe in ghosts. One in 1996 stated that 48% of the 1,000 polled believe that UFOs are real. Maybe Bob Barker is urging the wrong species (dogs & cats) to be spayed or neutered.
Old 06.05.2006, 07:12 PM   #35
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
yr all full of poopoo.
Ghosts do not exist.
In order for ghosts to exist in visual light then there would need to be matter being created. The theory of conservation of matter states matter can not be created nor destroyed. Fuck ghosts!

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 07:16 PM   #36
stirling
bad moon rising

stirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's assesstirling kicks all y'all's asses
As an experienced photographer, yes I have.
I dismiss those orbs and such as lens dust, processing defects or other tricks.
stirling is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 07:20 PM   #37
atari 2600
invito al cielo

for over a generation, the Amazing Randi has offered $1,000,000.00 USD to anyone that can prove any paranormal claim.

Guess what? No one has.

Now this is an interesting site:

http://www.randi.org/

James Randi has an international reputation as a magician and escape artist, but today he is best known as the world's most tireless investigator and demystifier of paranormal and pseudoscientific claims.

Randi has pursued "psychic" spoonbenders, exposed the dirty tricks of faith healers, investigated homeopathic water "with a memory," and generally been a thorn in the sides of those who try to pull the wool over the public's eyes in the name of the supernatural.
Old 06.05.2006, 07:27 PM   #38
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Not to get to philosophical or anything; no, I don't believe ghosts 'exist'.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 07:29 PM   #39
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Now this is an interesting site:
http://www.randi.org/

hmm...
interesting.
GOD IS CRUEL

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.05.2006, 09:52 PM   #40
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
James Randi is one of my favorite sources on the topic. Brilliant man.

However, I don't disbelieve the paranormal because, by its nature, you cannot prove either way. It is in the hands of believers to prove it, but it is entirely possible for something unprovable to exist. I can't prove for $1,000,000 that I've experienced emotion in the past, but I have. I don't discount ghosts as lies because I don't know, and never will know. Granted, I do believe that 90% of the cases are highly explainable. But there are always those that aren't. I did select the "something, but not ghosts" choice for this reason.

Not to mention, from almost any theistic viewpoint, which I take, you have to make room for the possibility of divine cause. But that's a relatively restricted viewpoint.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth