Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I hate my generation
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.06.2006, 04:42 PM   #21
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I think our generation spans everyone born from about 1980-2000.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 04:48 PM   #22
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
FUCK, so I'm in the emo kid generation? I thought my generation had nothing to offer, now I know it. I often wonder when we'll get our musical revolution
50s=elvis
60s=beatles, hippys
70s=punk,sabbath,zep
80s=joy division, hardcore, goth
90s=grunge, aphex twin, prodigy
00s=umm... uninspired rehashes of above generations? It's the same in cinema, probably about 30% of all movies in cinemas these days are remakes or sequels
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 05:05 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
FUCK, so I'm in the emo kid generation? I thought my generation had nothing to offer, now I know it. I often wonder when we'll get our musical revolution
50s=elvis
60s=beatles, hippys
70s=punk,sabbath,zep
80s=joy division, hardcore, goth
90s=grunge, aphex twin, prodigy
00s=umm... uninspired rehashes of above generations? It's the same in cinema, probably about 30% of all movies in cinemas these days are remakes or sequels

You know that thing about 'whoever won the war writes the history'? Well, the historical revisionists of modern times are BORING OLD MEN WITH THEIR STUPID BORING STUPID BLOKE MUSIC STUPID.

Look... there is, was, and ever shall be shit music in every generation. For every one Jimi Hendrix there are a million Adam Faiths. I can't stand Hendrix, but don't lets let that interfere with the point - the point is that it's easy to look back on the musical fashions of yesteryear and forget quite how much shit there is around.

A personal observation - all the of the generation old enough to be 'into' the first wave of British punk (so, they were 17-25 in 76/77) think that punk is shit. The kids who were a little younger think punks the shit, and post-punk/ baggy/ goth/ new-wave is shit (etc etc). My brother is the grunge generation - he saw Nirvana on the Bleach tour. He thought they were shit. He thinks all grunge is shit. The historical revisionists are the people who try and create the idea that there was a better 'scene' than there ever was. There rarely is a scene, it's nearly always a creation of rose-tinted glasses wearing wankers without careers and NME journalists.

No generation has anything particularly... I have plenty of friends across most generations... the jazz generation of the 50's through to kids now. And I can say, pretty safely, that save for a few bores, most of them just enjoy what they enjoy, and don't care about some journalistic edifice.

PLEASE KIDS, ENJOY BEING YOUNG, AND DON'T EVER WISH YOU WERE IN ANOTHER GENERATION.

Phew. Sorry, gets my goat this one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 05:14 PM   #24
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
i guess you're right, for every beatles there's 10 times more monkees but I just can't see much exciting in music these days apart from SY, radiohead and other bands that started up in the early 90s. What i'm getting at is since I've been old enough to go to gigs there hasn't been many band that have done anything new or interesting
Old 06.06.2006, 05:18 PM   #25
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I haven't a generation.Just bills.Die.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 05:18 PM   #26
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
i guess you're right, for every beatles there's 10 times more monkees but I just can't see much exciting in music these days apart from SY, radiohead and other bands that started up in the early 90s. What i'm getting at is since I've been old enough to go to gigs there hasn't been many band that have done anything new or interesting
that´s just not true
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 05:18 PM   #27
A Thousand Threads
expwy. to yr skull

A Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's assesA Thousand Threads kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
You know that thing about 'whoever won the war writes the history'? Well, the historical revisionists of modern times are BORING OLD MEN WITH THEIR STUPID BORING STUPID BLOKE MUSIC STUPID.

Look... there is, was, and ever shall be shit music in every generation. For every one Jimi Hendrix there are a million Adam Faiths. I can't stand Hendrix, but don't lets let that interfere with the point - the point is that it's easy to look back on the musical fashions of yesteryear and forget quite how much shit there is around.

A personal observation - all the of the generation old enough to be 'into' the first wave of British punk (so, they were 17-25 in 76/77) think that punk is shit. The kids who were a little younger think punks the shit, and post-punk/ baggy/ goth/ new-wave is shit (etc etc). My brother is the grunge generation - he saw Nirvana on the Bleach tour. He thought they were shit. He thinks all grunge is shit. The historical revisionists are the people who try and create the idea that there was a better 'scene' than there ever was. There rarely is a scene, it's nearly always a creation of rose-tinted glasses wearing wankers without careers and NME journalists.

No generation has anything particularly... I have plenty of friends across most generations... the jazz generation of the 50's through to kids now. And I can say, pretty safely, that save for a few bores, most of them just enjoy what they enjoy, and don't care about some journalistic edifice.

PLEASE KIDS, ENJOY BEING YOUNG, AND DON'T EVER WISH YOU WERE IN ANOTHER GENERATION.

Phew. Sorry, gets my goat this one...
word
A Thousand Threads is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 05:20 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Ok... You're a nice chap, I'll not be nasty.

But you're wrong. You're looking in the wrong places. Look elsewhere. You want recommendations, there's a load of people here who can tell you what's exciting at the moment. To be honest, I can sympathise with your position. But I stopped listening to purely guitar-based music a long time ago.

Check out some Soukous. Try the local jazz scene (they're often all-ages). Do a bit of research on the internet. Listen to some Gamelan. Try to think of music as something that is made with things, rather than as something made by men with guitars.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 06.06.2006, 05:20 PM   #29
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
im glad there is diversity in generations, then we arent mindless robots. some people are into TOTALLY different things which if fucking SPECTACULAR! it preserves individuality, all the gansters, posers, punks, emos, arts, geeks, beats

ITS ALL COOL!!
Old 06.06.2006, 05:21 PM   #30
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
If you think there is no exciting music being made by current bands, you are not looking hard enough.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 05:21 PM   #31
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
Yes, indeed I do.
I don't know what it's like at other schools but it's just full of these 'gangters' who ride yellow school buses. Theres kids who play video games all day, no life, just games. My generation is a corporation's big wish, a bunch of losers working over the grill.
Though there are some good and cool people as well, like you guys!
Oh well.
What can I do?

Well for starters you can get the Daedric Short Sword that has +2 fortify intelligence, but you have to reach level 12 first.
Old 06.06.2006, 05:22 PM   #32
Glice
invito al cielo

Addendum to previous post: GO OUT AND BUY RECORDS BY THE FALL THEY ARE BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE.

Quote:
Old 06.06.2006, 05:23 PM   #33
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
No way. I don't fit any of the emo or hipster stereotypes.

Hipster trends: yes (i partake in)/ no (that isn't me)
Tight t-shirts: No
Jeans: No
black rimmed glasses: no
dyed hair: no
combs/styles hair: no
heroin addict thin: no
wears stupid hats: no
wears stupid shoes: no
dresses up for shows: no
reads pitchfork/nme: no
drinks pbr: no
prescribes to "hardcore" or "straight edge": no
likes the movie garden state: no
likes independent film and music: yes
spiritual but not religious: no
likes cliche to read books: yes

it's the checklist

Hipster trends: yes (i partake in)/ no (that isn't me)
Tight t-shirts: for the best of everyone no
Jeans: yes
black rimmed glasses: green rimmed actually
dyed hair: no
combs/styles hair: depends
heroin addict thin: not for the last 12 years
wears stupid hats: Washington National caps are not stupid
wears stupid shoes: no
dresses up for shows: no
reads pitchfork/nme: laugh at pitchfork/and not on your life
drinks pbr: i don't want a headache, try nati boh
prescribes to "hardcore" or "straight edge": no
likes the movie garden state: no
likes independent film and music: yes
spiritual but not religious: no
likes cliche to read books: i can barely read
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 05:23 PM   #34
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Ok... You're a nice chap, I'll not be nasty.

But you're wrong. You're looking in the wrong places. Look elsewhere. You want recommendations, there's a load of people here who can tell you what's exciting at the moment. To be honest, I can sympathise with your position. But I stopped listening to purely guitar-based music a long time ago.

Check out some Soukous. Try the local jazz scene (they're often all-ages). Do a bit of research on the internet. Listen to some Gamelan. Try to think of music as something that is made with things, rather than as something made by men with guitars.
That's a good one.Try to think of music as a purely responsable body of flesh and emotions.A body?A trusted friend?It works!

Old 06.06.2006, 05:25 PM   #35
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Addendum to previous post: GO OUT AND BUY RECORDS BY THE FALL THEY ARE BETTER THAN ANYONE ELSE.
Even though i'm not always sure about this sort of statement,i think you are shining at the moment.

Old 06.06.2006, 05:25 PM   #36
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
nme is not very hip, not in the way pitchfork is. nme is appealing to a very different crowd.
Old 06.06.2006, 05:30 PM   #37
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Well for starters you can get the Daedric Short Sword that has +2 fortify intelligence, but you have to reach level 12 first.
it don't come easy! you'll find yourself fighting hordes of these dudes before you get anywhere

finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2006, 05:32 PM   #38
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
nme is not very hip, not in the way pitchfork is. nme is appealing to a very different crowd.
Do we fucking know that?Have you been reading the nme?

Old 06.06.2006, 05:40 PM   #39
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Fight this generation......
Old 06.06.2006, 05:46 PM   #40
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

I belong to the blank generation and
I can take it or leave it each time

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth