Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Summer Reading
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.03.2009, 05:18 PM   #21
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Gravity's Rainbow has been sat taunting me for a couple of moths now, but other books that don't require the same investment of time & concentration keep getting in the way...
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 05:20 PM   #22
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
^ Ditto'd on that, same with Atlas Shrugged and Finnegan's Wake. Those 3 are going to be my fall and winter reading.
Old 06.03.2009, 06:23 PM   #23
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
No, you can't get arrested for it here either but grief in any form is something I tend to try and avoid at all costs. If that means Lolita is reserved strictly for indoor consumption, then so be it.

Long story short - there was a girl on the tube, reading de Sade's Justine. She wasn't interesting, in many regards.

Lolita's a good book, but I reckon Bataille is, content-wise, vastly more subversive while ostensibly just being weird.

I have a summer of Heidegger in front of me, plus the qu'ran.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 06:28 PM   #24
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
The pile that I've assembled has: The Book Of Disquiet (Pessoa), The Unbearable Lightness Of Being, In Search Of Lost Time: Sodom and Gomorrah (re-reading the whole thing, very slowly) and Artificial Paradises (Baudelaire). I'll also read everything by Jean Rhys that I haven't read already, and probably some Edward Bunker novels as intelligent page-turners inbetween the the heavier stuff.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 06:43 PM   #25
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Lolita's a good book, but I reckon Bataille is, content-wise, vastly more subversive while ostensibly just being weird.

True, Lolita isn't really about sex with children at all. Nor is Bataille for that matter - although I suppose his logical conclusion would at least suggest the idea. Either way, you're far less likely to get evils from tracksuit wearing mothers if they see you reading 'Eroticism' than if they see you reading 'Lolita'.

Lolita isn't a subversive book at all. It's just cursed with a pretty inflammatory title.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 06:47 PM   #26
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
NWRA: I'm finishing off In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower right now, keeping on track with my one Proust book per year till I'm done.

After that maybe some Henry Miller. It's almost synonymous with Summer for me at this point.
Old 06.03.2009, 06:49 PM   #27
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Summer's posts are more than enough. Why would anyone want to read a Summer Book???
Old 06.03.2009, 06:51 PM   #28
Silent Dan Speaks
the destroyed room

Silent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's assesSilent Dan Speaks kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker
Gravity's Rainbow has been sat taunting me for a couple of moths now, but other books that don't require the same investment of time & concentration keep getting in the way...

Read it! It's more fun than you would think. After I finish Moby Dick I think I'll read that again. And maybe V. too.
Silent Dan Speaks is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.03.2009, 07:37 PM   #29
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
No, you can't get arrested for it here either but grief in any form is something I tend to try and avoid at all costs. If that means Lolita is reserved strictly for indoor consumption, then so be it.

Meh, I've dragged it out in public and never had anybody give it a sideways glance. Most people are too embarrassed to take obvious looks at what anybody is reading anyway. Besides I've had people give me weird looks for aking tthings like Naked Lunch and Junky out into the light of day. But they didn't beat me up over it so, you know, what the fuck.
Old 06.03.2009, 08:34 PM   #30
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I read the entirety of Lolita over the course of like 6 nights in the library, full view of the public, I didn't feel weird. The only book I have that I wouldn't read in public would be Mein Kampf, which I own strictly for objective reading because I am a history major and am fascinated by the inner workings of Hitler's mind.
Old 06.03.2009, 11:19 PM   #31
oss
empty page

oss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's assesoss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by radarmaker

I bought this one a few months back but keep chickening out on it. I know it's a daunting read, I think I'm afraid to find out I am not smart enough to read it.

Just finished Tortilla flat by Steinbeck though, that's a good book.

Best book I have read in the last few months is "Ham on Rye" by Bukowski. Can't recommend that one highly enough.

Lolita is one of the best books ever written.
oss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 12:26 AM   #32
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
"Lolita" is definately on my to read list.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 01:02 AM   #33
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
This summer, I shall be more spontaneous with my reading. No grocery lists this time, no sir. One book at a time.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 02:37 AM   #34
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Meh, I've dragged it out in public and never had anybody give it a sideways glance. Most people are too embarrassed to take obvious looks at what anybody is reading anyway. Besides I've had people give me weird looks for aking tthings like Naked Lunch and Junky out into the light of day. But they didn't beat me up over it so, you know, what the fuck.

Yeah, and to be honest I'm sure nothing would happen regardless of what I read. Ultimately, having already read lolita I'm not desperate to read it again, especially considering the amount of books I haven't read. I dunno, Henry James' The Wings of the Dove has been gathering dust on my shelf for years now. Might be an idea to get that out of the way. Other than that, probably follow pbrabley's lead and just play things by ear.
Old 06.04.2009, 04:57 AM   #35
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I quite like idea of going to the park during the summer with some massive great biography so I can read about someone hugely famous. I dunno, someone like Napolean maybe, or Noel Edmonds.

Noel Edmonds - the Nietzschean Ubermensch.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 05:02 AM   #36
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
I want to read Susan Greenfield's book 'ID: The Quest For Identity in The 21st Century'. I've got stacks of books to read. I want to finish Nietzsche's 'On The Genealogy of Morals' and get through the TS Eliot's collected works.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 05:53 AM   #37
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chairman of the bored
NWRA: I'm finishing off In the Shadow of Young Girls in Flower right now, keeping on track with my one Proust book per year till I'm done.

After that maybe some Henry Miller. It's almost synonymous with Summer for me at this point.

That's my favourite of them, I think, specifically the Balbac section, and the descriptions of the girls. That or the Swann In Love mini-story, for its descriptions of 'the little phase' in the music, Swann's love which is near madness (uncomfortably intense at points) and the great bathos at the end. I could read it again, now.

I think I managed one Proust book every six months (and for a lot of that time, I was unemployed, so I had an advantage haha). Not only is it very long, its so dense that I kept on needing to re-read pages as I went along - either to admire the brilliant descriptive writing, muse on one of his observations or philosophical points or to keep track of what he's talking about at times (got lost during a tangent about art or music - albeit an interesting one - then when he returns to the subject of four-pages ago!). And what's more: reading the entire thing again is so rewarding as you are probably already noticing that there are loads of allusions to future events in the beginning of the book, and so much of it rests on people changing throughout time in surprising ways (or the narrator’s perspective of them changing). Yeah... it's my favourite book.
Old 06.04.2009, 05:58 AM   #38
The Lung
stalker

The Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's asses
The weather has been fantastic since saturday so i've been reading in the garden alot. I finished Vampire Vultures by John Fahey, I read Cats Cradle on a very sunny day and now I've started slaughter house 5 which I think will be better than the cradle.

I want to get some more hunter s thompson books this summer; still haven't read hells angels.
The Lung is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.04.2009, 06:06 AM   #39
NWRA
children of satan

I'm thinking of reading some Shakespeare too. I feel that, as an English student, I need to know more about the plots and characters (I've only read Romeo & Juliet at school) as reference-points. But I find it very difficult to sit down and read a play as you would read a novel. Does anyone else have the problem? Can you get used to it? or should I buy the Laurence Olivier DVD collection.
Old 06.04.2009, 06:51 AM   #40
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRA
That's my favourite of them, I think, specifically the Balbac section, and the descriptions of the girls. That or the Swann In Love mini-story, for its descriptions of 'the little phase' in the music, Swann's love which is near madness (uncomfortably intense at points) and the great bathos at the end. I could read it again, now.

I think I managed one Proust book every six months (and for a lot of that time, I was unemployed, so I had an advantage haha). Not only is it very long, its so dense that I kept on needing to re-read pages as I went along

like you, I find myself having to go back and re-read Proust simply because of the sheer density of his writing. As a result he's probably the only authors I can quote purely from memory. Well, Proust and Fredrick Forsyth maybe, although in his case it's for entirely different reasons.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth