Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Haiti
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.15.2010, 05:40 AM   #21
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
What is it with natural disasters causing the deaths of hundreds of thousands happening around the xmas holiday period? Does anyone remember the Boxing Day Tsunami of 2004?

The Haiti quake could have killed 300,000 people, thats more than the Tsunami.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2010, 05:49 AM   #22
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
the more ive read about the situation in haiti, the worse it sounds. Im ashamed to say i know absolutely pot-zero about the country and its socioeconomic situation, but the best we can do is donate to the Red Cross, although it sounds as though the work should have been put in there some time ago.

Haiti's the world's oldest black republic, and the second oldest republic in the Americas, only younger than the USA. It declared independence from France in the early 1800s after a sucessful slave uprising - except it wasn't sucessful, really - Haiti had to pay France enormous financial reparations in exchange for diplomatic recognition, the cycle of international loans for this and resulting economic decline lasted for well over 100 years and left Haiti one of the poorest, most ghastly places in the world to live. And I think it just got a whole lot worse.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2010, 01:41 PM   #23
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
So the French are to blame for Haiti's crippling poverty. They should be ashamed of themselves.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2010, 01:48 PM   #24
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
look how fucking deforested much of Haiti, the west side of the island of Hispaniola, is, due to the massive poverty ad people felling every tree they can find for fuel, and wood. The Dominican Republic side is now being deforested.

Old 01.15.2010, 05:42 PM   #25
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
It's a fucking tragedy!
Donate!

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2010, 06:13 PM   #26
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So the French are to blame for Haiti's crippling poverty. They should be ashamed of themselves.

I blame Christopher Columbus.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.15.2010, 11:55 PM   #27
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
The Haiti quake could have killed 300,000 people, thats more than the Tsunami.

I heard 200,000 today. Who knows. I might be going down next week. Fucking awful situation developing now, on top of the initial tragedy.
Old 01.16.2010, 01:19 AM   #28
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
now that its been three days bodies across the country, not just in Port-au-Prince are starting to smell.. it is literally a nightmare on the scale of a nuclear explosion.. surprisingly the people on the streets are said to be rather polite about things. of course, this is changing as the people get frustrated with the lack of progress by the foreign aid crews coming in slow motion, after they have been digging with their bare hands for days.. I can understand both perspectives, I just hope for the severity of the situation that both the Haitians and the Foreign Aid Workers and understand each other, lest this thing take a turn for the worst. It is on the virge of shifting from a natural disaster to a man-made catastrophe. I pray for the best. Please everyone, keep up the support, the real problem in Haiti is not today, but long term in the coming months and years .

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I blame Christopher Columbus.

christopher columbus is a damn blasted liar!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.19.2010, 04:09 PM   #29
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I was quite shocked when I read this. Is the US using the natural disaster as a front for imperialist motives?

http://www.progressive.org/mp/danto011910.html
Old 01.20.2010, 01:26 AM   #30
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
toothpaste is one of the most popular items on the street. people are lining their nostrils with it to cover the smell of death with minty freshness... I pray for those truly, what impresses me most is that people are so relatively calm and peaceful about all this..

Old 01.20.2010, 02:05 AM   #31
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
wonder if they are gonna build any Disneyland esque memorials to the people of haiti?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 09:53 AM   #32
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I heard there was another big aftershock this morning. 6.1 I think ....shit's getting worse

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 10:09 AM   #33
chrome noise tape
the end of the ugly

chrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asseschrome noise tape kicks all y'all's asses
i wonder where are now the super-nations of this world in those moments...if they are only super-nations cause the weapons of ass destruction?? maybe they are...
chrome noise tape is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 10:20 AM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
one of the problems with getting outside international aid is that, even in a catastrophe, there is so much bullshit red tape, on both sides of this issue.
Permssion must be gotten and kickbacks must be prepared.
Old 01.20.2010, 02:31 PM   #35
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
wonder if they are gonna build any Disneyland esque memorials to the people of haiti?

don't be so silly. jews have money, what do the haitians have?

Old 01.20.2010, 02:52 PM   #36
sonic sphere
invito al cielo

sonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's assessonic sphere kicks all y'all's asses
the fugees.

"wanker" - All Hail WATT
sonic sphere is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 04:00 PM   #37
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ I'm not so sure about that. Wyclef's attempt to justify the $250,000 that his Haitian charity paid to his own Haitian tv station sounds a little shakey.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 04:08 PM   #38
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

So when is Obama going to annex Haiti to the US making way for his exploitation of the country's natural resources?
Old 01.20.2010, 04:24 PM   #39
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
So when is Obama going to annex Haiti to the US?

only a white president can do that like the US has done several times in the past (US has occupied Haiti from 1915-1934).. if a black president were to do such a thing they would say it is a racial thing and it wouldn't fly (lucky for Haiti ) just like ol Barack dissed the Black Caucus and left brother Henry Louis Gates Jr in the cold..

white presidents can cater the special interests of white voting blocks and lobbyist groups, where as a black president couldn't dare support black interests, the white people would start to get nervous that maybe that 40 acres and a mule might begin to materialize, and adjusted for inflation is approximately $32,500 USD (2009) X 40,000,000 (american black population 2008)

Old 01.20.2010, 04:57 PM   #40
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

most regular busineses that claim to be helping in any case of crisis or catastrophe, are actually using the sad events to promote themselves, to line their pockets with money, or to better ingratiate themselves with the poloticians who are more intimately involved with the crisis.

Doctors Without Borders, and the Red Cross, are who people who people should be directly donating to.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth