Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page How the Fuck Am I Going to Pay For Grad School?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How the Fuck Am I Going to Pay For Grad School?
Start Robbing Motherfuckers 7 35.00%
Dealing Hard Drugs 7 35.00%
Insurance Fraud 2 10.00%
Sue Somebody 0 0%
Divine Intervention 4 20.00%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06.09.2009, 06:24 PM   #41
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
You could start a pyramid savings scheme, then do a runner with the proceeds.

Alternately, you could start a sponsorship programme, whereby you get a whole bunch of SYG boardies to send you $50 a time, which would be used to help pay your way. What would the boardies get in return for their subscription? Your eternal gratitude, and a CDR containing your thank you message, you singing some Ethiopian hymns, and perhaps a selection of tunes that you have recorded.

I like it, but them sonic haterz wouldn't get me anywhere near the $15,000 i'm gonna need. If I didn't feel like taking uncle sam's blood money was evil I'd go for the pell grant/fafsa shit like !@#$% recomended, but I made it through the first $12,000 on my BA on my own, so I assume I can pull this one off just the same. The difference this time is I need that paper twice as fast, BA took 5 years, the MA wants that shit in 2.

In the mean time, for free you all have my eternal gratitude, here are some Mezmur (Ethiopian hymns) I really like, and you can find a selection of my tunes at http://www.myspace.com/suchfriendsaredangerous

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Don't pay for Grad School... download it!

that only worked for the Eternal, UCLA wants a bit more..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 06:25 PM   #42
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Why are you against fafsa/ pell grants?

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 06:25 PM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
Don't pay for Grad School... download it!

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to pokkeherrie again.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 06:31 PM   #44
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by static-harmony

Old 06.09.2009, 06:32 PM   #45
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
Ok. Whatever your choice.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.09.2009, 06:36 PM   #46
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ok. Whatever your choice.

yes, and it has been a very difficult choice for the past 5 or 6 years, but I have stuck to it and my heart and soul would break if I had to back down from this. Rastafari people resist the system perpetually, the Apostles gave their lives for the work, and the least I-man can do is not take the US blood money tainted by corruption, war and evil. I consider federal aid hush money, and as many of you are familiar with, I absolutely refuse to hide behind their walls of silence.. when I was 15 I wrote "why stand on a silent platform, fight the war, fuck the norm" on my converse and unlike RATM, 10 years later I still mean that shit with all my being.

Old 06.09.2009, 08:40 PM   #47
exploding plastic candle
children of satan

exploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard suckaexploding plastic candle cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama

Yeah, if you enter lots of sweepstakes and get temporary tattoos on your pregnant belly you should be rollin' in the benjamins in no time.
Let's bathe in a cup of dreams and share in a saucy toast
exploding plastic candle is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 10:28 AM   #48
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous

tetuditos, those are only available for college, not for grad school.

suchfriends: get your fucking teacher license and go take a job like a man should. no need for "grad school".

some school districts are in such need of teachers they will help pay for your masters while you work. do a little research.

or become an americorps volunteer in your favorite ghetto. they give you $4K for school per year.

perpetual student = wankery of the greatest caliber.

learn to juggle responsibilities like most adults do. work + school = yes.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 11:02 AM   #49
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I feel for you, though I also have the problem of having a weak GPA.

Upon that, it just feels terrible that I have friends in grad school while I'm still unemployed in Orange County.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 11:31 AM   #50
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
http://second-income4you.com/

afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 12:09 PM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I read about a guy once who put an ad in the paper that said "Send $1 to: " and he gave his address. No other info..

And he ended up getting close to a million dollars.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 12:26 PM   #52
loubarret
expwy. to yr skull

loubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's assesloubarret kicks all y'all's asses
Form a band and become a major sell out.

No really, you should get a job.
loubarret is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 05:24 PM   #53
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
yes i like the idea of becoming a commercial success in the music field and convicing thurston your the ghost of kurt cobain making music through your mind. then selling the rights to michael jackson or whichever oil rich arab is his bankroller for millions. and etc.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 05:26 PM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
"The classroom's the last room to get the truth.

Old 06.10.2009, 07:39 PM   #55
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by loubarret
Form a band and become a major sell out.

No really, you should get a job.

again, as I said to !@#$%, I believe you mean to say another job, I got a job already, it just covers the rent, not grad school fees.

Old 06.10.2009, 07:42 PM   #56
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
tetuditos, those are only available for college, not for grad school.

suchfriends: get your fucking teacher license and go take a job like a man should. no need for "grad school".

some school districts are in such need of teachers they will help pay for your masters while you work. do a little research.

or become an americorps volunteer in your favorite ghetto. they give you $4K for school per year.

perpetual student = wankery of the greatest caliber.

learn to juggle responsibilities like most adults do. work + school = yes.

I take offense to the tone of your response here, and I do believe you owe me an apology. As I said above, I HAVE a job, I believe you mean get ANOTHER job, and thats fine, thats what I have been looking for for months, I call two dozen school districts twice a week since February, they wish I would stop, but in case you didn't notice, its hard times in America and Los Angeles in particular..

and further, I HAVE TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL TO GET THAT FUCKING TEACHING CREDENTIAL (to get that teaching job you are woofing about), a teaching credential is technically a graduate school certificate program.. thats the ENTIRE REASON I AM TRYING TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL TO BEGIN WITH. I hate school, I never want to go there again.. but alas alas, thats the way it works. So please, be a bit more considerate sometimes.. I don't appreciate that whole "adults" and "like a man" crack, that is bullshit, you don't know me. keep running your grill and you'll be one of those motherfuckers I rob seen?

Old 06.10.2009, 09:23 PM   #57
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I take offense to the tone of your response here, and I do believe you owe me an apology. As I said above, I HAVE a job, I believe you mean get ANOTHER job, and thats fine, thats what I have been looking for for months, I call two dozen school districts twice a week since February, they wish I would stop, but in case you didn't notice, its hard times in America and Los Angeles in particular..

and further, I HAVE TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL TO GET THAT FUCKING TEACHING CREDENTIAL (to get that teaching job you are woofing about), a teaching credential is technically a graduate school certificate program.. thats the ENTIRE REASON I AM TRYING TO GO TO GRAD SCHOOL TO BEGIN WITH. I hate school, I never want to go there again.. but alas alas, thats the way it works. So please, be a bit more considerate sometimes.. I don't appreciate that whole "adults" and "like a man" crack, that is bullshit, you don't know me. keep running your grill and you'll be one of those motherfuckers I rob seen?

i might be a prick (can't be fucking helped) but i'm the only one here giving you information that can save your ass.

the way i see it you owe me a big thanks, conasse.

FIRST, butterfucker, you DO NOT need a master's to get a teaching license. you just need some courses in pedagogy that take about a fucken year or so. that's not gradschool-- it's just some extra fucken college courses. you might be able to wing it with pell grants. maybe.

if nevertheless for some reason you're intent on attending gradschool,

do NOT, do not fucking NO NO NO DO NOT pay from it from your own pocket unless you want to end up forever broke. DO NOT PAY FOR GRADSCHOOL. much less while having a part time shit job. that's the equivalent of raping yourself.

paying gradschool--- that's what graduate assistanships were invented-- they pay you shit money to do professor's work, you'll live hand to mouth, but they cover your fucken tuition (that's how i went to grad school). i'm gonna guess you don't qualify for fellowships, which are sweeter than god's left tit, so i won't discuss those.

ANYWAY, JUAN, YOU DO NOT NEED A FUCKEN LICENSE IN ORDER TO GET A TEACHING FUCKEN JOB

research "alternative license" or "alternative licensure".

http://www.tennessee.gov/education/lic/alt.shtml

iowa

le nouveau mexique

ETC.
ETC.
ETC.

some of these states offer VERY FUCKING CHEAP SCHOOLS to get your license and sometimes some schools will even pay you to go. like, fucken $100 per credit-hour. oh yea.

other shit i've mentioned is americorps volunteer. i'm currently working with one. she gets a living wage (barely) and for each year in the program they give her $4K towards skool.

in other words: HAVE OTHER PEOPLE PAY FOR YOUR GRADSCHOOL OR YOURE A FUCKING SUCKER. OR AT LEAST GET IT AT DEEP FUCKING DISCOUNT.

---

IN SPITE OF THE SHIT ECONOMY THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF TEACHERS IN AMERICA. FACT. SAME WITH FUCKING NURSES. AND NETWORK TECHNICIANS.

anyway best wishes cunasse, i hope the whacks of my ruler have drilled this notion deep into your brain, DO NOT PAY FOR GRADSCHOOL OFF YOUR OWN POCKET. JAH BLESS.

YOU'RE FUCKING WELCOME.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.10.2009, 09:47 PM   #58
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i might be a prick (can't be fucking helped) but i'm the only one here giving you information that can save your ass.

the way i see it you owe me a big thanks, conasse.

FIRST, butterfucker, you DO NOT need a master's to get a teaching license. you just need some courses in pedagogy that take about a fucken year or so. that's not gradschool-- it's just some extra fucken college courses. you might be able to wing it with pell grants. maybe.

if nevertheless for some reason you're intent on attending gradschool,

do NOT, do not fucking NO NO NO DO NOT pay from it from your own pocket unless you want to end up forever broke. DO NOT PAY FOR GRADSCHOOL. much less while having a part time shit job. that's the equivalent of raping yourself.

paying gradschool--- that's what graduate assistanships were invented-- they pay you shit money to do professor's work, you'll live hand to mouth, but they cover your fucken tuition (that's how i went to grad school). i'm gonna guess you don't qualify for fellowships, which are sweeter than god's left tit, so i won't discuss those.

ANYWAY, JUAN, YOU DO NOT NEED A FUCKEN LICENSE IN ORDER TO GET A TEACHING FUCKEN JOB

research "alternative license" or "alternative licensure".

http://www.tennessee.gov/education/lic/alt.shtml

iowa

le nouveau mexique

ETC.
ETC.
ETC.

some of these states offer VERY FUCKING CHEAP SCHOOLS to get your license and sometimes some schools will even pay you to go. like, fucken $100 per credit-hour. oh yea.

other shit i've mentioned is americorps volunteer. i'm currently working with one. she gets a living wage (barely) and for each year in the program they give her $4K towards skool.

in other words: HAVE OTHER PEOPLE PAY FOR YOUR GRADSCHOOL OR YOURE A FUCKING SUCKER. OR AT LEAST GET IT AT DEEP FUCKING DISCOUNT.

---

IN SPITE OF THE SHIT ECONOMY THERE IS A SHORTAGE OF TEACHERS IN AMERICA. FACT. SAME WITH FUCKING NURSES. AND NETWORK TECHNICIANS.

anyway best wishes cunasse, i hope the whacks of my ruler have drilled this notion deep into your brain, DO NOT PAY FOR GRADSCHOOL OFF YOUR OWN POCKET. JAH BLESS.

YOU'RE FUCKING WELCOME.

Your advice was decent, but your tone was all wrong..

as I told you, to get a teaching credential you enter a grad school program, I should know my friend, I am in the process of getting one. further, I could get a gig at a private school without it, But FOR MYSELF, i need some class room experience, so I have been looking for TA gigs because I need some experience to build my own confidence to run a classroom, after all its not easy, doing the sunday school is hard enough sometimes, let alone running 180 kids 5 periods a day..

in regards to the grad student work you mentioned, I am also looking into that option, but you have to get accepted to the school first, and I want to be able to at least attempt to pay my way before I get in too deep hoping on something that might not come through.

again, I appreciate your serious input here, but you could be a little bit more sensitive about it, I am not some jack ass little kid, I know of all the details you speak of, in fact even some more you didn't mention, but unlike you, i didn't put my foot in my mouth and assume that you DIDN'T know about it because you didn't mention it, after all, I do not know what you know and don't know, so I would not assume things.

peace.

Old 06.10.2009, 11:27 PM   #59
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
Just don't go to college.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.11.2009, 10:07 AM   #60
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

ohh

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth