Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Are there any art nerds here?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.17.2008, 10:16 AM   #41
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
BTW, the first image is ink and chinese brushes on paper, the second one is guoache
Old 10.17.2008, 10:16 AM   #42
al shabbray

I prefer ballpens (black) or some juice blue and some moleskine type paper.

or whatever comes in my way
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 10:18 AM   #43
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
Large works on paper can be hung in two ways without a frame.. With clips hung from tracks, or with accetate tabs which are fixed to the back of the work, and the work is then pinned through the tabs.
sorry i only mentioned how hard oils were to mount because i thought we were talking about mounting canvas work compared to works on paper.

this is true for hanging work but when showing paper works in an art gallery setting it has been my experience that the galleries prefer proper mounting and glass front framing on their paper works.
it alows them to set the price for the piece higher.
Old 10.17.2008, 10:26 AM   #44
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
i work in an art supplies warehouse
i stretch canvAS
Old 10.17.2008, 10:58 AM   #45
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

ahhh, stretching canvas, the fun of staple guns and wood framing... learning how to do that shit correctly was like step one at art school.
Old 10.17.2008, 01:29 PM   #46
The Lung
stalker

The Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's assesThe Lung kicks all y'all's asses
I'm really liking the work you've posted rob, please put some more in the art thread.

My recent work has been mainly in inks. I like to paint base colours then go over them and later reveal them by adding water and either going crazy with a brush or using a cloth/tissue paper. Sometimes I like to go over things in charcoal if I want an effect or detail. Here's a couple of examples

At school I mainly used acrylics but have never used oils. I keep meaning to get some but finding time to create art is getting scarcer now i'm at uni.
The Lung is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 01:49 PM   #47
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
go figure, i was sure 98% of the people here were just perverts ... cool art talk guys

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 02:08 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
I was looking into Degguerotyping recently. If I found myself with some free time/ space I might give it a bash. Anyone ever ventured into the murky world of art causing respiratory problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 08:43 PM   #49
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
this is true for hanging work but when showing paper works in an art gallery setting it has been my experience that the galleries prefer proper mounting and glass front framing on their paper works.
it alows them to set the price for the piece higher.

again that's not true at all, or maybe its just very different in Australia. Lots of galleries here, that I visit frequently, and have been a part of, and even including our state gallery, regularly hang large works in this manor. Setting a higher price for a framed work is usually selling yourself short, because the amount it costs to have a frame made, usually exceeds the extra money people will want to pay for the work. Unless you are selling your work above the 5k mark, you could almost be paying more for framing than for the work itself. Most printmaking galleries here ONLY sell works unframed. They deal with hundreds of professional printers, and it is unrealistic to represent people if every person whose work you carry, has it mounted in a bulky frame.

I'm not sure why you keep saying in your decades or 20 years experience, as I might only be 24, but have been fairly involved in my own city's art scene for the last 10 years. It might just come down to different countries or cities do things differently, because I am going by what I see every day in the galleries in my city, and what I have experience with when I participate in shows.

I still don't agree with a piece of work demanding more if it is painted with oils, though again we just see things differently. IMHO it has more to do with what medium best suits the imagery the artist is creating, as to how much money it will fetch.

Really I was more wanting to talk about art techniques and mediums than debate about how works on paper are hung or the price of oil vs other media though.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:55 PM   #50
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaka Moloch
"Mouth Atomiser". Yes. If I find it, I'll practise with water first now.
Thank you. Googling "metal blower" was not very successful.

I am reminded of my old friend that spent many years as a carpenter, enough to eventually afford his own shop set-up within his garage. A couple of us guys went over to visit and I found a face chiseled into a scrap piece of wood amongst the discard pile + swept sawdust in one corner. It was so expressive. Child-like and ancient at once. Blood on the back of it announced its unfinished raw edge. We passed it around and began to compliment this hidden artist. We wondered why he didn't make a hobby of it? Why was it unfinished? This kind of quality could sell! Find a place in history! A show! A museum! Detail from such a rough piece so incredibly fine! Holy cow!
He grew defensive in a quick and shooed us out with a bandaged finger part of his hands.
Demurred from accolades or insistences with:
"Oah, the hell with you people! It doesn't serve a damned function!"

hehe. unfort a lot of the time monetary success in the arts industry has more to do with how motivated and unrelenting you are, than how much talent you have. But, maybe he just didnt enjoy it enough to keep going? who knwos.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:57 PM   #51
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenotdead
go figure, i was sure 98% of the people here were just perverts ... cool art talk guys

I never surrendered my pervert label.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:57 PM   #52
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lung
I'm really liking the work you've posted rob, please put some more in the art thread.

My recent work has been mainly in inks. I like to paint base colours then go over them and later reveal them by adding water and either going crazy with a brush or using a cloth/tissue paper. Sometimes I like to go over things in charcoal if I want an effect or detail. Here's a couple of examples

At school I mainly used acrylics but have never used oils. I keep meaning to get some but finding time to create art is getting scarcer now i'm at uni.

The second one is pretty cool

do you have more?
Old 10.17.2008, 08:58 PM   #53
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
i work in an art supplies warehouse
i stretch canvAS

really? do you mean you ship out to smaller art supplies stores, or you sell in bulk? do you get a discount? do you get 5 finger discount?
Old 10.17.2008, 09:03 PM   #54
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
yeah!
I've always wanted to try something like put a piece of emulsion paper inside my mouth and take a picture like that.
Or my hands or something.

this artist ann hamilton made a pinhole camera that she carries around in her mouth. it's pretty cool.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:29 PM   #55
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
I was looking into Degguerotyping recently. If I found myself with some free time/ space I might give it a bash. Anyone ever ventured into the murky world of art causing respiratory problems?

I dont want to think about it, but I've been exposed to so many harmful chemicals so far that I'm lucky I don't glow a little. I had to google that because I couldnt remember what it was. I'd love to have a play around though. Also I've never got around to making cyanotypes, which I'd love to do. I'm really lucky to have been taught by a couple of amazing photo based artists in the last two years so experiemental photomedia is a lot more interesting to me than the average 'photo'

If I lived near you I'd totally be up for spending a few days trying to get the daguerreotype process happening.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:37 PM   #56
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
this artist ann hamilton made a pinhole camera that she carries around in her mouth. it's pretty cool.

I just looked at her website, the images look really interesting!

but the website is really hard to read/small. I remember seeing pictures of the 1997 installations she has up, but can't say I know her work.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:52 PM   #57
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix
really? do you mean you ship out to smaller art supplies stores, or you sell in bulk? do you get a discount? do you get 5 finger discount?

yes too all except the 5 finger discount
Old 10.17.2008, 09:56 PM   #58
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
yes too all except the 5 finger discount

neat, what kind of stuff do you stock? pretty much everything? as in, supplies for painting, printmaking, drawing, etc? good brands or cheap stuff? like riot art. lols.
Old 10.17.2008, 09:59 PM   #59
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

yeh we have a pretty wide range
the store i work for is an independent art store
we get lots of exclusive stuff as well so im told

we also sell to Bunnings (not sure if you know what that is)
so thats like lots of outdoor stuff too (mouse traps, bbq tools)

it kind of ruins the beauty of all the art supplies when im surrounded by them everyday
Old 10.17.2008, 10:07 PM   #60
phoenix
invito al cielo

yeh we have bunnings in victoria too :P

not sure I could ever get bored of art supplies

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth