Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Movies that scare you as an adult
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.21.2008, 07:34 AM   #41
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
them
una pura formalitą
the hitcher (maybe)
duel (maybe)
some others already mentioned.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2008, 07:40 AM   #42
jimbrim
expwy. to yr skull

jimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's assesjimbrim kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
eyes wide shut. fucking with the megarich = spooky.

Yeah, I found that really disturbing.
jimbrim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.22.2008, 01:00 AM   #43
steve newman
bad moon rising

steve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's assessteve newman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
well surely David Lynch flicks scare the crap out of me too.

George A. Romero's DAWN OF THE DEAD and DAY OF THE DEAD, for their social commentary.

John Carpenter's PRINCE OF DARKNESS and THE THING.

David Cronenberg's THE DEAD ZONE and VIDEODROME.

...there's one specific movie I just saw one time that I never want to see again if possible which is REQUIEM FOR A DREAM, that really makes me feel uneasy.
i just got prince of darkness for the wifey to see. that movie scared the shit outta me back then. still gives me the creeps now.

also poltergeist and the day after(a tv movie about nuclear war back in the 80's.)
steve newman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 04:38 PM   #44
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
both hostels are awful. amongst the worst.

Correct. Uggh there was a 2nd one? good lord

Mulholland drive is actually not a pointless movie. I'll agree some of Lynch's stuff is just pretentious crap like Inland Empire. No meaning behind that one, just nonsense. But Mulholland Drive is like a puzzle, it takes you at LEAST 3 viewings if not more to fully understand it, but when you do it's clear as a bell what's happening. But yeah that movie still scares me to this day, especially the ending.
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 05:29 PM   #45
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Lynch films are great. The only ones that are difficult to grasp are some of his early shorts. I think Inland Empire makes perfect sense.

Also, Eyes Wide Shut is like a fucking comedy. That pot smoking scene? Hahahaha.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 06:10 PM   #46
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Movies that still scare me and/or have recently scared me...

Memories of Murder (Is more disturbing than scary, but it is the only film since childhood that I could not finish watching in its entirety, first time around, because it upset me so much. It's a marvelous film and based on a true story.)

ALSO...

Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Don't Look Now
Inland Empire
Session 9
Amityville Possession (terrifying and twisted film... and the only one in the entire franchise that's worth watching)
Audition (actually more depressing than anything)
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2008, 06:35 PM   #47
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think Audition is a terrible film. So boring. And I'm a Miike fan (even though he's a hack). Just nothing about it at all that excited me... the entire film builds to one bland payoff. That chick sure is hot though.

Memories of Murder, aka the 2003 film also known as Salinui Chueok? Yes.. That film's AMAZING. Love it. Very unsettling.

Old 10.23.2008, 09:22 PM   #48
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think Audition is a terrible film. So boring. And I'm a Miike fan (even though he's a hack). .

I agree, audition sucks, but you have to admit the part where she's sitting by the phone with the bag in the background. The 1st time you see it it's just like holy FUCK WHAT????!!!!

I hate Miike's films. They're all mindless perversion and gore with no substance. People love to point out to me when they show me his movies, that the jizz is actually his. Jesus who cares?? Gross!!
Old 10.23.2008, 09:27 PM   #49
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Lynch films are great. The only ones that are difficult to grasp are some of his early shorts.

His early shorts areseriously INSANE..... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmMwKBMse_w

One thing that scares me as an adult is David Lynch " himself ".
Old 10.23.2008, 11:33 PM   #50
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I think Audition is a terrible film. So boring. And I'm a Miike fan (even though he's a hack). Just nothing about it at all that excited me... the entire film builds to one bland payoff. That chick sure is hot though.

The only Miike film I genuinely love is Audition. No, it is NOT entertaining in the slightest, but it is one of my favorite films. I think it is a very sad, intelligent and touching piece of work. It plays best as a dark drama, imo.

I honestly think that saying a film is "boring" is one of the worst possible excuses someone could give for not liking it, especially when it's not supposed to be a fast-paced thrill-ride to begin with.

The only other film of Miike's that I have enjoyed is Ichi and that's just cause it's so off-the-wall, not because it's actually a good film.
Old 10.24.2008, 04:30 AM   #51
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, my favorite director is Takeshi Kitano, whose films could be considered by most to be "boring" since they're so slow -- hell, 95% of Japanese films are slow-paced. So, I'm pretty sure I can dismiss a movie as "boring" if it doesn't interest me, but here, let me replace the word boring with "bland", "unentertaining", "lagging", "sluggish", "uninteresting". Is that better? I respect the art behind some of the direction (undoubtedly not Miike's idea), particularly the beautiful shot of a Japanese street with NOBODY on it -- you don't see that very often! But all in all, the film has nothing to hold anyone's interest. Cool concept, but that's about it. I've sat through the thing twice. It's shit. Also, how many films have you seen by Miike anyway?

It's always difficult when talking about Miike, as he has, what, 90 films? I've seen all the ones released in America and a couple I downloaded that were fansubbed and only available in Japan, so I can safely say this: Miike's best is easily Izo.. followed closely by Visitor Q and the claymation gore zombie musical family film Happiness of the Katakuris. His films all seem deeply rooted in childhood and family with some sick twists. However, all his best films, he didn't write. And his directing is pretty shitty... and even some of his awesome films like Full Metal Yakuza and Dead or Alive 2 are complete ripoffs of other films (the former being based on the screenplay of Robocop and the latter being structurally and thematically identical to the brilliant film Sonatine).

The cum in Ichi the Killer is not his, it's Shinya Tsukamoto's, amongst the best modern Japanese film directors around.

Also, none of his films are that gory... Ichi the Killer has some funny CGI gore, but there's more substance in that film than most. Love the idea that Ichi has equated murder with sex, so he can only get off when he kills. That's some brilliant stuff -- too bad it's based on a manga, so Miike didn't have anything to do with all the cool stuff in that film.

If you want to see Miike films with substance, watch Bird People of China. As of late, I'm starting to think his more "family friendly" films are his best -- Zebraman, White Collar Worker Kintaro, Great Yokai War are all excellent. I admire his range and his work ethic, which is why I'm a fan.

But the only film by him I've seen that's AMAZING is Izo -- it's all style, no substance whatsoever, but it actually works with that film. And it has Beat Takeshi and Kazuki Tomokawa in it! A masterpiece.

Actually, I take that back. His segment in 3... Extremes is probably his best work. It's too short though.

An decent director with many great films under his belt and many AWFUL films under his belt who seems to not understand what makes a film good. Case in point, his favorite film of his own is "A Big Bang Love, Juvenile A", and that film is terrible.

Old 10.24.2008, 04:41 AM   #52
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I think I gave up on thriller/horror movies after seeing Hostel. Not only was it absolute shit, as most people know, but I just lost that desire to be frightened.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2008, 04:52 AM   #53
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well, I've yet to see a good nu-horror film yet. Recently, I thought the Strangers was going to be great, but it was terrible. For the most part, the only really great new films in any genre are coming out in France and in Asia.

Old 10.24.2008, 05:39 AM   #54
Green Magnesium
100%

I think we've been through this discussion at one point before atsonic.

Tsukamoto is one of my favorite directors as well. I'm a fan of his acting and will watch absolutely anything with him behind the camera. I even enjoyed Nightmare Detective with that awful pop star in the lead. I might enjoy Ichi more on another viewing knowing that his jizz is featured in a supporting role.

PS... it's not fair to say Audition has nothing that ANYONE can enjoy. I find the film entirely engaging and enjoyable. It's one of the saddest love stories I know of.
Old 10.24.2008, 05:57 AM   #55
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Heh, well, I was replying to you and someone else at the same time in the same post...

Glad you find it engaging, I just don't see anything special whatsoever about it.

Old 10.24.2008, 06:46 AM   #56
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
adam, what kitano movie is in your sig?

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2008, 07:11 AM   #57
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Sonatine.

That's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite film by him.

The only ones I haven't seen are kids return, brother (both at my house right now through netflix), getting any, and glory to the filmmaker...

Old 10.24.2008, 07:23 AM   #58
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve newman
i just got prince of darkness for the wifey to see. that movie scared the shit outta me back then. still gives me the creeps now.

Last time my wife and I watched PRINCE OF DARKNESS, we BOTH had nightmares that night!
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2008, 08:20 AM   #59
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Sonatine.

That's probably my 2nd or 3rd favorite film by him.

The only ones I haven't seen are kids return, brother (both at my house right now through netflix), getting any, and glory to the filmmaker...
cool. ill rent it tonight. broter is great. well i had one problem with it, but i'll wait tiill youre done watching it

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.24.2008, 08:59 AM   #60
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Movies that scare me as an adult.
I grew up not watching any horror movies because my imagination would run away with it and I could never sleep as a kid afterward. hell, when I was 12 ghostbusters scared the shit out of me (the librarian ghost)
Now as an adult I find it hard to get into scary movies but I like movies that build up dread and freak out tension, even though they may not be the best films.

I had to stop Event Horizon twice because, watching it alone at 1:00AM in the dark was too much for me! (wuss! I know!)

certain parts of Man Bites Dog freak me out real bad.

Ringu, the japanese one, really made me feel like I was in another dimension, like the horror was bleeding through to my reality.

my friend mike made me watch Suspiria. while I could not get over the 70's cheese, the dread came over me!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth