Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page quitting smoking
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.07.2010, 01:58 PM   #41
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
The problem with cutting down is that you just spend the whole time looking forward to the precious next one, which then tastes/feels all the nicer because you've waited for it.
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 01:59 PM   #42
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
cutting down has never worked for me, always seemed like a cop out. that drawing idea is excellent. i think i will try to do something similar with gtr.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 02:04 PM   #43
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
the doctor advised this woman i know to cut down and never quit cold turkey.
because he said there could be severe side effects to just quitting.
and she did have migraines and faint.
so he gave her these pills and she cut down and a month later she quit, it has been 6 months, and she keeps preaching to me about these pills.
they must be antidepressants or something, to help with the withdrawal depression.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 02:06 PM   #44
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
if you are a heavy smoker, the crash from lack of nicotine will definitely give you fucking MONSTER headaches, and therefore it is best to slow down for a few weeks to get your body used to lesser nicotine before going full out cold turkey.

I smoked for 10 yeatrs, quit for 4, started smoking clove cigs during my divorce, and quit those after a year. I now smoke no cigs, but enjoy 2-3 cigars a week.

the feeling of not being winded, of full lung capacity, of being able to swim for an hour without heaving, is a wonderful feeling.
Old 01.07.2010, 02:09 PM   #45
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
but enjoy 2-3 cigars a week.

i think replacing cigs with cigars could the trick, you'll still get nicotine but you can't smoke as much and won't inhale
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 02:15 PM   #46
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I tried to do it I was smoking cigars all the time and smelling bad.

Old 01.07.2010, 02:24 PM   #47
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
just quit and don't make a big deal out of, tonnes of fat.lazy and semi-retarded morons have quit smoking, do you really want to fail at something than any old jackass can do?

greatest motivation post to quit smoking.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 02:25 PM   #48
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
I tried to do it I was smoking cigars all the time and smelling bad.

if you smoke premium stuff you'll smell incredible and won't have money for cigarettes
Old 01.07.2010, 02:26 PM   #49
knox
invito al cielo

well, i dont even know what premium stuff is i was just craving.

Old 01.07.2010, 02:31 PM   #50
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I quit smoking cigs cold turkey. It took 6-8 weeks before all the twitchy nerves and the pangs of want went away fully. I used any time I normally had used to smoke to instead draw. I would draw out of nervous energy and eventually would forget why I was drawing and not notice the jangly nerves anymore.
It helps if you take something up to pass the time.
the hardest are those times when you used to ritually smoke, after a meal for example, or in the car on the way home from work, or after sex.

habits are programmed into our brains by ourselves.

There is a good bit of study done that shows a ratio betwene how often you do something and how long it takes for NOT doing t to feel normal.

The ratio is between 1 to 12 and 1 to 16.
a daily habit takes 12 to 16 days of not doing it to "break" the need/desire.
a weekly habit takes 12-16 weeks to break. something like that
I have talked to many ex smokers and they all say that if you can get through 3 weeks without a cig, you are 3/4 of the way to quitting for good.

!!!!!!

yeah I heard it's harder to quit when you have a routine in. My routine is very simple when it comes to cigs. I mainly smoke after a bowl/blunt/joint or when I'm getti'n drunk or some shiz...

Other than that...I can go without smoking for a while.
Old 01.07.2010, 02:34 PM   #51
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellcharge
i can quit, i don't want to, but i'd imagine being a week with no cig i'm not physically addicted

I was wrong when I assumed that you were a facist non-smoker.

it turns out that yr just stupid.

cue: pity
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 02:39 PM   #52
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Three cheers for virtual cock measuring sessions. No more douche-callings y'all. Peace and love

Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 02:47 PM   #53
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
pointing out poor and circuitous logic has nothing to do with the (gigantic) size of my cock.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 02:51 PM   #54
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr
Of course, it IS a choice. When you want a smoke (or fix or hit or whatever), you have a choice--give in and do it or stand firm and resist. It comes down to willpower--can you resist what your body/mind is telling you it wants.

its easy to say that, but when EVERY FUCKING CELL IN YOUR BODY IS SCREAMING and you know the anxiety could so easily be calmed by just a stupid smoke...sometimes our own biochemistry is our enemy.

I wish I knew more about dopamine issues. I do know the electric cigarette provides a nicotine release with flavor - who knows if it is really safe - but at least you aren't bringing all that carbon and chemicals and holding it in your lungs.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 02:57 PM   #55
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Well nobody's a douche, it's just a misunderstanding of logic.

Wellcharge - I think what floatingslowly means is that since YOU never quit yourself you don't personally know how difficult it is for n'ik to quit. Every brain is different... and many people would continue if they had a cigarette shoved down their throat. For example, the first time I did a shotgun blast with a buddy, the joint escaped my teeth, and blew straight down his throat and got stuck. He had to cough it out and apparently it was nasty. He's probably the biggest pot smoker / dealer I know now
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2010, 03:02 PM   #56
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox

they must be antidepressants or something, to help with the withdrawal depression.

Yeah, I think Zyban is a help-quit-smoking pill. It is also an anti-depressant under another name. Wellbutrin?
Old 01.07.2010, 03:09 PM   #57
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
its easy to say that, but when EVERY FUCKING CELL IN YOUR BODY IS SCREAMING and you know the anxiety could so easily be calmed by just a stupid smoke...sometimes our own biochemistry is our enemy.

I think you just restated what I said. You want another word in place of choice? How about battle? You are at war with yourself. But the only person that is going to keep you from doing _x_ is you. It is ultimately your choice to do _x_ or _y_.

Luckily, I've never been strongly addicted. Smoked a good deal of cigarettes this summer. Was fairly hooked on pot a while back Pot was somewhat easier since I need to really go out of my way to get it while you can get cigs just about anywhere. But yeah, over the summer, I said "This is my last pack" about 50 times.
Old 01.07.2010, 03:31 PM   #58
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
Well nobody's a douche, it's just a misunderstanding of logic.

Wellcharge - I think what floatingslowly means is that since YOU never quit yourself you don't personally know how difficult it is for n'ik to quit.

i have quit before but that's not what he means anyways, he already said what he meant: I was wrong when I assumed that you were a facist non-smoker. it turns out that yr just stupid.
Old 01.07.2010, 03:40 PM   #59
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

ni'k just switch to pot.
Old 01.07.2010, 03:56 PM   #60
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i had some very bad cannabis psychosis ha so i'm off it for good. anyway i'm going to go off the cigs tonight, wish me luck motherfucks, if i get stressed out and crave i will instead take out my frustration by being a dick on this message board! yay! so i am launching this new abstinence with some fresh ferraro jams and green tea. i am going to use the ferraro jams to meditate on the damaged chakra channels that access zebra light crystals levitating in the boner windmill angels of spherical peacock anal bead neptune gem yoga concioussness so i can reach enlightenment as to the root cause of my addiction and how i can be cured.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth