Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Does the world need another 'Noise' record?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.07.2006, 03:34 PM   #41
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
no.
Old 08.07.2006, 03:40 PM   #42
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
ok.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 03:42 PM   #43
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
i read a sickness quote once, he was talking to new noise artists, he said that noise is a name genre more than anything. ah found it.

And lastly, Noise, in general, is a name recognition genre. If no one knows you people are less willing to take the chance on your work. Work at it. Work better rather than releasing. It all takes time. It does have to be an obession. Why? because even 2 or 3 years down (even with the internet) the road people still won't know your work. In time people will begin to see you are doing.

wise.
Ok,back on the topic here.The quote above is a very interesting one because it implies that you need to have a certain knowledge as to how sound sounds like as well as how it sounds in its many forms.Are you familiar with so called 'soundwalks' and where is the quote from,if you don't mind me asking?

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 03:48 PM   #44
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
exactly, there are plenty of people who wank around and then release but its really powerful when you listen to what you make, obsess over it and make it perfect.

its a quote from chris goudreau, who records as the sickness.

soundwalk?
Old 08.07.2006, 03:56 PM   #45
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
the reason i play noise is because most noise out there is utter bland crap.

i do think noise is a very purely understood genre (if it is, or branch of music perhaps) mostly by it's own creators. most people who are in noise bands don't listen to noise or if they do, it's just the big obvious names, how many of these people know of solmania? hell, how many have heard early throbbing gristle or early swans? even masonna hardly gets a mention. most people are like "merzbow, wolf eyes and..." sometimes hair police but mostly boredoms (the most cultured of the bunch mention hanatarsh), which leads to the boredoms not being noise artists but a chaotic rock band; sure, they can be taken as a stapping stone band to get into the really harsh stuff but the boredoms are not noise and yet they are the most mentioned "noise" band along with masami and w.e. and because people don't really listen to noise because it's easier and cheaper to make than to follow and support you get bands that are supposed to be "extreme" and crazy like 16 bitch pile up who are unimaginative, derivative and, the worst offense a noise artist can commit, bland.

even more, noise artists have started to settle and enjoy the spoils of it's new found popularity, which just means a hell of a lot of people adopting the name to make fast music in limited edition runs. merzbow has been mellowing out and playing thru the motions. savage and scott v mention noise peaked in the early nineties for them which might have more to do with the quality of the music made and the uniqueness of it all, unlike today which has to do with everything except the music.

scott v is right, if a noise artist isn't prolific then people don't take them seriously, unless you are already a legend and pioneer from back in the day. i know people who love doing eps and albums every week in order to exist; i blame merzbow for that.

the reason noise bands, regardless of their quality, have taken root and have been multiplying is because of the underground support system. in orther for a new noise artist to release his/her 784 hours of laptop garbage, they need a label or someone willing to put out the music, more than exclusively releasing it themselves because of the ridiculous amount of music they produce; also, they need other, liked minded bands to play with, release splits with, release on each other's labels, etc. it's not a listener's genre anymore, it's not even about the music.

noise is the new garage, easy to produce, anyone can do it.

i do believe, though, that because there's so much stuff, there's great stuff bound to come out, and the challenge is to find it, even if it might be very frustrating to go thru all the bullshit.

as for me, i do noise because i like listening to it; i have done 2 eps as I/C/O/C and one is in the making, and i have not released any of those yet; that's why it's probably never going to go anywhere.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 03:58 PM   #46
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Soundwalks are generally recordings made by sound artists(or as some people refer to them,architects)who do just that:walk a certain path and record the whole thing(in my experience of listening to such recordings there is quite a bit of source material manipulation,mind).They can be incredibly stimulating experiences when you get to know a little more about the turn you've taken in your walk and(knowing a bit of the history of the place you are walking around in)the often dramatic changes that such envoirements have endured over the years.

Old 08.07.2006, 04:07 PM   #47
porkmarras
invito al cielo

5. Remember, you are still making music. Noise and experimental music can be very free-form, and annihilate the barriers and conventions of traditional music. That doesn't mean you should simply hold your guitar into an amplifier for an hour and call if music. And if you do, Lou Reed will have done it already, and will have done it better. Your music still needs a structure and purpose. Dynamics and variation are good. I will repeat that again. DYNAMICS AND VARIATION ARE GOOD. Whatever your first effort was, it did not have enough dynamics, variation, or balance, do it again at least twice.

^Or enough times to make you realize when it's got a place that's going to last and an audience that is going to last too.Didn't know this guy but most of this stuff sounds rather stimulating on many levels.

Old 08.07.2006, 04:10 PM   #48
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
i do think noise is a very purely understood genre (if it is, or branch of music perhaps) mostly by it's own creators. most people who are in noise bands don't listen to noise or if they do, it's just the big obvious names, how many of these people know of solmania? hell, how many have heard early throbbing gristle or early swans? even masonna hardly gets a mention. most people are like "merzbow, wolf eyes and..." sometimes hair police but mostly boredoms (the most cultured of the bunch mention hanatarsh), which leads to the boredoms not being noise artists but a chaotic rock band; sure, they can be taken as a stapping stone band to get into the really harsh stuff but the boredoms are not noise and yet they are the most mentioned "noise" band along with masami and w.e. and because people don't really listen to noise because it's easier and cheaper to make than to follow and support you get bands that are supposed to be "extreme" and crazy like 16 bitch pile up who are unimaginative, derivative and, the worst offense a noise artist can commit, bland.

whaaaat? man, youve gotta be on crack.
Old 08.07.2006, 04:14 PM   #49
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
I dont really like straight noise, I need something to it. But it depends what noise is, couldn't free jazz be considered noise?
It can't for very obvious reasons.

Old 08.07.2006, 04:18 PM   #50
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
and because people don't really listen to noise because it's easier and cheaper to make than to follow and support you get bands that are supposed to be "extreme" and crazy like 16 bitch pile up who are unimaginative, derivative and, the worst offense a noise artist can commit, bland.

ouch... my band opened for 16 bitch pile up last year and eventhough they weren't loud they still were interesting because eventhough they can be derivative they actually did something within a reasonable time frame that held alot of people's interest (it was a 15 minute set)... and they did it without being extremely loud.

besides i must say they were really cool and nice women, they really dug us, we were quite loud and aggressive.. i've been finding that with about 1/2 of shows we've done the main act who follows us is tentative and apprehensive of the situation because its like we've harnassed all the momentum from a show into our set, nothing to brag about because alot of times in these situations i feel bad about for the "headlining" act. sometimes you come away with playing a great set, others are real bummers... little middle ground especially in noise music. i must admit that performing this form of music is alot more gratifying than listening to it, thats if you can enjoy yourself (suprisingly enough i know alot of peopel who just can't and won't enjoy themselves no matter what they are doing)... I think of all people Coco made a similar quote in the recent article/interview on SY in the recent Filter mag.

though, i doubt that we will blow the doors off this thursday when we open for the Flying Luttenbachers... Weasel Walter is a sick dude.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 04:21 PM   #51
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Flying Luttenbachers

Why the above name sounds familiar?

Old 08.07.2006, 04:24 PM   #52
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott v
ouch... my band opened for 16 bitch pile up last year and eventhough they weren't loud they still were interesting because eventhough they can be derivative they actually did something within a reasonable time frame that held alot of people's interest (it was a 15 minute set)... and they did it without being extremely loud.

besides i must say they were really cool and nice women, they really dug us, we were quite loud and aggressive.. i've been finding that with about 1/2 of shows we've done the main act who follows us is tentative and apprehensive of the situation because its like we've harnassed all the momentum from a show into our set, nothing to brag abotu because alot of times i feel bad about the "headlining" act.

i doubt that will happen this thursday when we open for the Flying Luttenbachers...

i never doubted they were nice people; i just think that when you are willing to jump on the pool known as noise, there is a certain things you have to follow, one of them being the loudness.

i'm probably judging them too harshly and need to stop the preconception that what i'm hearing is supposed to be noise. maybe is they said they play droning no wave...that's why i hate labelling music.

and with all due respect, you are going to get your asses handed to you when you open for the luttens
Old 08.07.2006, 04:37 PM   #53
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

about the recording tecniques savage clone mentioned:

i do think a a difficult, noisy recording can actually add a lot to the music, as long as it doesn't go against the mood the music is going for. for example, i still haven't gotten into the new celtic frost album because the production is too clear and, to me, what made the frost special was that they could work the fucked up, lo-fi sound to their advantage and now they sound like any third rate doom band coming out today, the songs might not be bad but the production is so wrong, i can't really hear the songs. another example of poor production values working in favor of the music is the goslings.
Old 08.07.2006, 07:26 PM   #54
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
personally i think noise is probably the hardest style of music to play well if the ratio of shite to goodness is anything to go by.

there are a handful of noise musicians who've made music that really has impressed and moved me, but most of it, even the majority of popular/scene leader stuff is so completely rubbish.
and the never ending glut of material is going to kill the whole thing off, i'm sick of wasting time listening to whatever knocked-out-in-20-minutes shite is passed off as exciting. wolf eyes are one of the best live acts i've ever seen, and i've seen a lot of bands, but if they could be bothered making recording that in some way reflected the energy of their live shows, or at least sounded like they'd put some thought and consideration in to the proceedings they might make a record worth listening to, instead of the dullness of slicer/burned mind/dead hills/mugger/etc.
in 5 years lets see how many of the groups releasing a new tape every month are anywhere to be seen.

i'm sorry golden child, you can quote whatever worthy and earnest person you like, or come up with some crazed concept for your music, but it doesn't mean a thing when faced with the barrage of boredom, thoughtlessness & diletanttism that is the majority of noise.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.07.2006, 10:37 PM   #55
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
i'm sorry golden child, you can quote whatever worthy and earnest person you like, or come up with some crazed concept for your music, but it doesn't mean a thing when faced with the barrage of boredom, thoughtlessness & diletanttism that is the majority of noise.

i TOTALLY agree, if you would have read any of my posts they were supporting the fact that people need to be more thoughout with their audio offerings and not just fart on a tape and make 50 copies.
Old 08.08.2006, 03:13 AM   #56
porkmarras
invito al cielo

The thing is,with a lot of so called noise musicians the level of sound or compositional skills is next to zero.Anger alone doesn't take you anywhere and,besides,there are millions of angry musicians out there but very few who can channel that anger into a genuinely creative body of work.

Old 08.08.2006, 07:03 AM   #57
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
The thing is, noise is sort of the new punk. You don't necesarilly need sound or compositional skills to make noise, just enough enthusiasm, conviction and intuitivity to explore sound for sound's sake. Think of the hundreds of shitty punk bands that emerged in the 70s. Did they care they were shitty? Hell, they were probably too drunk and having too much fun to give two fucks. The beauty of noise music and improvisation is that it is a DIY scene open to outsiders with no need for anyone to flex their musical virtuoso muscle. It is the logical conclusion to punk rock after that genre was co-opted by corporate pimps.

also, refer to my sig for more on "noise"
Old 08.08.2006, 07:05 AM   #58
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Noise is something new?what age are you sonny?

Old 08.08.2006, 07:06 AM   #59
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
22, sir
Old 08.08.2006, 07:07 AM   #60
porkmarras
invito al cielo

That explains.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth