Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Movies that scare you as an adult
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.25.2008, 12:56 PM   #81
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen many of Miike's films. I'm sorry but I just think they are pure stupidity. Just my opinion dude. The violence in Ichi the killer was bad looking, unnecissary, stupid, and unfunny. Violence can be good in movies, but it seems like when he made that movie he probably had a specific idea in mind: " Make a movie where a guy's face gets sliced in half with an ice skate and slides across the floor, and then build a plot around that "

I've also seen Audition and Visitor-Q. Visitor-Q is a movie of people getting bashed over the head with rocks, fucked while they are dead until they defecate feces all over eachother, sucking on eachothers nipples till they lactate, and sawing eachothers skulls open. That's the ONLY thing that happens in the whole movie. Now, I'm not against extreme sort of things like that in movies, but they had absolutely no meaning in the movie other than to be perverse. That's how I view Miike's films
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 01:16 PM   #82
Kloriel
expwy. to yr skull

Kloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's assesKloriel kicks all y'all's asses
i haven't seen a movie that scared me for a decade
Old 10.25.2008, 02:14 PM   #83
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
You do realize Ichi the Killer is based on a manga that's even more violent and ridiculous right?

Audition isn't very good.. Visitor Q is a beautiful and hilarious family film. Why do you keep watching his movies if you don't like 'em, anyway? Just curious waht the fuss is? I'm not trying to debate, just curious. Anyway, you have to kind of get into Miike's groove.. a lot his films are basically overblown comedies. See the CGI cock fight scene in City of Lost Souls for example, haha.

I think HAPPINESS OF THE KATAKURIS would be a film you like though. It's a family drama comedy musical with zombies and dancing and gore and lip synching and claymation and other stuff. It's reaaaaaaaally good, even if you don't like his other movies. And again, his straight-up family films like Great Yokai War are actually amazing.

The worst Miike I've seen is Bodyguard Chiba 2.. and One Missed Call... and Andromedia.. and ... okay, he has a lot of awful shit.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 02:18 PM   #84
al shabbray

visitor q is sick in a really good way. was the first movie I saw by him, and I was blown away by his "no limits" attitude, and it took me some time to see this japanese family portrait behind the shock value.
which one is the best by miike?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 02:35 PM   #85
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Anyway, you have to kind of get into Miike's groove.. a lot his films are basically overblown comedies.

I have to agree with Adam, here. And please bare in mind that I dont like Miike. At least the films I've seen of his. All the ones I saw were ultra extreme violence that sickened me. But at the same time, I understand and appreciate that that's Miike's idea. Over the f'ing top, ridiculous, hilarious. Sort of like the blood coming out of the pipe in the basement of EVIL DEAD II idea... only brought to a higher level.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 02:37 PM   #86
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, but I'd say most of his films aren't even like that. Most are lonely, sparse, quiet yakuza films. Just the ones that everyone knows are the overblown ones...

Al, I'd say his best is definitely Izo, it's a surreal and insane epic about a crucified samurai who travels through the underworld and becomes a demon. It's so poetic and beautiful that it's ridiculous.

Old 10.25.2008, 02:42 PM   #87
al shabbray

^^^that sounds really good to me. maybe theres absoluteley no connection but while reading your words bout izo one of my favourite games come to my mind called otogi 2 (xbox)
I think the words: samurai, demons, underworld and beautiful triggered that. if not you should check it its definately one of the most astonishing games graphical wise. the atmosphere is dense even f the story is not outstanding good. and the gameplay is one of the most addictive Ive ever played

be sure I will check izo out
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 02:45 PM   #88
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha I'd check it out indeed, that sounds up my alley.

Too bad I don't have an xbox or 360!...

Old 10.25.2008, 02:54 PM   #89
al shabbray

I can tell otogi and otogi 2 were the reason why I bought a xbox ( I hated that machine to that date) these games are by far some of the most underrated games Ive ever seen.
the genre is hack n slash with a lot of rpg elements like powering up and a missions kinda style of levels. ok if I can recommend you one game you dont know it would be otogi 2.

perfect graphics, perfect soundtrack, perfect gameplay
here a lil glimpse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzEW2...eature=related
one of the most mesmorizing levels atmospheric till it bursts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gF9kb...eature=related
even if the quality sucks you will get a glimpse of the most fun destruction you could ever play
you can trash every level ad even get rewards for it if you trash them more then 90%
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf3Mt...eature=related
the hardest battle in game history
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.25.2008, 04:54 PM   #90
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Why do you keep watching his movies if you don't like 'em, anyway? Just curious waht the fuss is? I'm not trying to debate, just curious. Anyway, you have to kind of get into Miike's groove.. a lot his films are basically overblown comedies.

I don't keep watching them. I have seen 3 of them however. All of them were shown to me by friends who went on and on about how I would absolutely love them.

People say his movies are comedys too, but I just don't see it. Aside from the old man ripping off his shirt in ichi the killer, I've never seen one thing in any of his movies that seemed funny, or " meant " to be funny. Random bloody murders aren't funny unless there's a talented writer or director involved. It's like that Peter Jackson movie Dead Alive ( or Braindead as the fans call it ). Everyone said it's the funniest thing ever but I watched it and it just pushes everything way too far immediately and becomes a boring redundant unfunny waste of time. I felt the same way about this movie as I did about Ichi the Killer
Old 10.26.2008, 07:45 PM   #91
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Haha Dead Alive IS one of the funniest movies ever! That scene in the park, hahaha... oh man, that's priceless. Dead Alive is so obviously a comedy that it's ridiculous, NOTHING in that film can be taken seriously. "I kick ass for the lord!" It's just all in good fun, nothing "extreme" about it, the only part that is even half-way disturbing is probably when his mom's corpse explodes with the embalming fluid and her eyeballs fall out.

All the CGI gore in Ichi the Killer is even funnier though... a girl cut completely in half? So ridiculous... and yes Shinya Tsukamoto as an old muscle man is great!

Anyway, it's hard to judge Miike on 3 films you've seen, since nearly all of his films are completely different... I mean, he has nearly 100 films!... and maybe you should just stay away from movies with violence in them, because it seems like you can't handle it.. not making fun or being condescending or anything... if you can't handle comedic over-the-top violence, then you sure as hell couldn't handle something real... like Kichiku Di Enki.. rape with a shotgun... stuff like that. But yeah, no offense at all, it just seems like you don't "get" these kinds of films. And there's nothing at all wrong with that.

Anyway, I wasn't even going to reply, but my girlfriend finished her halloween costume and I had to post it here:

Old 10.26.2008, 09:47 PM   #92
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

I love all kinds of movies that have plenty of violence in them. I also like horror comedies like Evil Dead II and Cannibal the Musical and Rikioh. They have to actually be funny for me to consider them a comedy is all. And I'd say that 3 of miikes movies is enough to decide that I hate his movies. I feel the violence and extreme sexual parts are there simply for the purpose of being daring, controversial and shocking. I only like it if it's there for a reason. Like in the movie Blue Velvet

And yes, the park scene in Evil Dead is the one part of the movie that made me laugh, but only when the evil monkey punches the good monkey. I'll give you that.

speaking of all that, has anyone seen a film called Undead?

Old 10.26.2008, 09:57 PM   #93
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.26.2008, 11:51 PM   #94
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
like that Peter Jackson movie Dead Alive ( or Braindead as the fans call it ). Everyone said it's the funniest thing ever but I watched it and it just pushes everything way too far immediately and becomes a boring redundant unfunny waste of time.

Dead Alive is funny for about the first 15 minutes. The scene at the dinner table was sickly humorous. Unfortunately the film became more and more dull as it went along. I didn't think it was possible to become so uninterested with something that was trying so hard to be completely off-the-wall. In short, Dead Alive is to be a wacky comedy. It's just not particularly funny (or good).
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2008, 12:01 AM   #95
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
Adam, did your girlfriend pierce her face herself?
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.27.2008, 06:11 AM   #96
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I meant the park scene with the baby, Eyeballgrowth.

Also, Riki-Oh is amazing, I don't think it was INTENTIONALLY supposed to be that hilarious though. You should check out another film by the same director called La Mao (The Cat). It's even more ridiculous than Riki-Oh. Electrified yogurt monsters, epic cat (from outerspace) vs evil dog battles, some random terminator ripoff dude that gets shot a thousand times and never dies, etc. I'm not a huge Cannibal the Musical fan, it's waaaaay too long.. but in general I love Troma films.

And yeah I've seen Undead. It was okay. I don't really remember anything about it except that it was humorous at times, had some hot chicks, but got pretty dull after a while. I remember watching Dead and Breakfast around the same time period and liking it more.

The final 30 minutes of Dead Alive are the goriest ever filmed. That alone makes the film worth reccomending to anyone reading this.

And no, my girlfriend didn't pierce her face as well, she does have a septume piercing though you can't see it in that pic.

Whoo.

Old 10.27.2008, 07:17 AM   #97
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
People say his movies are comedys too, but I just don't see it. Aside from the old man ripping off his shirt in ichi the killer, I've never seen one thing in any of his movies that seemed funny, or " meant " to be funny. Random bloody murders aren't funny unless there's a talented writer or director involved. It's like that Peter Jackson movie Dead Alive ( or Braindead as the fans call it ). Everyone said it's the funniest thing ever but I watched it and it just pushes everything way too far immediately and becomes a boring redundant unfunny waste of time. I felt the same way about this movie as I did about Ichi the Killer

WOW. If you dnt see the humor in DEAD ALIVE then you should probably just give up on horror in general. That movie is one of the funniest things ever. Jeez!
Old 10.27.2008, 07:20 AM   #98
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
And yeah I've seen Undead. It was okay. I don't really remember anything about it except that it was humorous at times, had some hot chicks, but got pretty dull after a while. I remember watching Dead and Breakfast around the same time period and liking it more.

I didnt like DEAD & BREAKFAST like I thought I would.
Old 10.27.2008, 07:22 AM   #99
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I didn't like either one THAT much.

But at least dead and breakfast had a rapping country zombie star!

Old 10.27.2008, 04:54 PM   #100
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Magnesium
Dead Alive is funny for about the first 15 minutes. The scene at the dinner table was sickly humorous. Unfortunately the film became more and more dull as it went along. I didn't think it was possible to become so uninterested with something that was trying so hard to be completely off-the-wall. In short, Dead Alive is to be a wacky comedy. It's just not particularly funny (or good).

Guess I'm not the only one.

Cannibal the musical is too long? I thought it was only an hour and a half. Regardless it is one of the greatest movies I have ever seen. A classic in my mind, and so python influenced. Undead is great too, zombie fish.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth