Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the dark knight
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.26.2008, 03:06 PM   #161
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I love Batman 89 and Batman Returns, Batman Forever was alright, Batman & Robin was awful and you know my stance on the latest two movies.

I actually need to watch Batman Returns again, not seen it in quite a few years.

Actually come to think of it, I've not seen Batman Forever in forever either, which is probably why I forgot about how Two Face is portrayed in the movie. Though I do remember him being illustrated more faithfully to the comics than the new Two Face.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:16 PM   #162
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
What comic are you referring to?

The Dark Knights story around Harvey Dent is pretty much 100% adaptation of The Long Halloween. Not to mention the visuals...Only thing that isnt true to the source material to this two face is that they made him blonde.

DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:18 PM   #163
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
haha oh fuck i can't remember what particular batman comics i read, i was much younger when i read them

i've definitely not read The Dark Knight series, so i should probably shut up now
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 03:23 PM   #164
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
You should check out The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, and Arkham Asylum. In my opinion, those three stories affected The Dark Knight the most!

That and Batman #1 where joker first appears, just out of thin air in response to batman and announces on the radio that he is going to kill high city officials and shit, but by that time his plans are already set in motion. I believe he even disguises himself as a cop and has a skin tone on his face in that too haha!
Old 07.26.2008, 03:24 PM   #165
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

& with that said, Im out of this fucking thread for now. Shame on me! haha
Old 07.26.2008, 03:55 PM   #166
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
I'll finally see this on Monday.
Old 07.26.2008, 04:02 PM   #167
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadDiscoDildo
You should check out The Long Halloween, The Killing Joke, and Arkham Asylum. In my opinion, those three stories affected The Dark Knight the most!

That and Batman #1 where joker first appears, just out of thin air in response to batman and announces on the radio that he is going to kill high city officials and shit, but by that time his plans are already set in motion. I believe he even disguises himself as a cop and has a skin tone on his face in that too haha!

I hope they make a Batman movie similar to Arkham Asylum sometime. That would be pretty cool
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2008, 04:52 PM   #168
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Yeah, the pencil trick seemed like a nod to arkham.

Im pretty sure the joker kills a girl with a pencil
Old 07.26.2008, 04:54 PM   #169
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
I hope they make a Batman movie similar to Arkham Asylum sometime. That would be pretty cool

I think Bale's signed on for at least one more. I hate to say it but I wouldn't mind another Two-Face/Riddler pairing. I'd be kind of interested to see a new take on the Riddler.
Old 07.26.2008, 05:32 PM   #170
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

Riddler needs to be done justice again, they NAILED two face and the Joker.
Old 07.26.2008, 05:47 PM   #171
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i always thought jim carrey was the riddler
like, in real life

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 08:47 PM   #172
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- "The Dark Knight" continues to obliterate box office records, crossing the $300 million mark in just 10 days.

Heath Ledger as the Joker and Christian Bale as Batman are breaking box office records with "The Dark Knight."

The epic Batman saga grossed $75.6 million in its second weekend in theaters, pushing its domestic total to $314,245,000, Warner Bros. head of distribution Dan Fellman said Sunday.

That surpasses the record set in 2006 by "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest," which took 16 days to make $300 million.

The latest Batman installment already had broken records for best opening weekend at $158.4 million and best single-day with $66.4 million. It's also busted records in its showings on IMAX screens, making $16.3 million in its first 10 days.

Fellman expects that "Dark Knight" could reach $400 million in about 18 days, which would beat the record "Shrek 2" set in 2004 when it made that much money in 43 days.

"What can you say? We've been getting a lot of repeat business coming in," Fellman said. "Our audience is expanding, like you would expect with terrific word-of-mouth and strong reviews. Our audience is getting a little bit older, that's the good news. We're finding the younger demographic, male and female, coming back."

He called it "a big surprise," adding: "To do $300 (million) plus in 10 days, we just couldn't have predicted it."

"The Dark Knight" could pass "Titanic" as the highest-grossing film in U.S. history, said Paul Dergarabedian, president of Media By Numbers. James Cameron's 1997 extravaganza made $600,788,188 domestically, a record no other movie has come close to touching.

"The 'Titanic' record has sat in a lock box for 10 years. It's a tall order but if any film has a chance to surpass that number, it's got to be 'Dark Knight,"' Dergarabedian said.

Director Christopher Nolan's follow-up to his 2005 origin story "Batman Begins," which again stars Christian Bale as the tormented comic-book crime fighter, initially benefited from the mystique of the late Heath Ledger giving his masterful, last performance as the Joker, Dergarabedian said.
"Now, it's all about word-of-mouth," he said. "The first weekend, there was this huge, pent-up demand and eagerness by audiences to see this movie. Now, it's like a freight train -- it seems to be unstoppable."

Part of the film's visual allure comes from the fact that 30 minutes of it were shot with IMAX cameras, including an elaborate bank-heist scene at the start.

"Chris (Nolan) has clearly hit upon something," said Greg Foster, chairman and president of IMAX Filmed Entertainment. "There are many important filmmakers who we've spoken with in the last couple of weeks about shooting with IMAX cameras."
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 09:07 PM   #173
Ripchord
the destroyed room

Ripchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's assesRipchord kicks all y'all's asses
So epic. I'm gonna see it again this week, I think.

Ripchord is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 09:31 PM   #174
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
when i left the theater, i thought the riddler could be an awesome villian for the next movie.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2008, 09:47 PM   #175
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Gary Oldman alluded to the fact that the Riddler could be the next villain. and this guy has expressed interest in playing him.

Old 07.28.2008, 01:31 AM   #176
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

My dad watches Doctor Who, and I saw an episode with him one time and thought that guy could be an interesting Riddler.

I also saw Lords of Dogtown and thought Heath Ledger could make an interesting Joker, a week or two before he got cast...
Old 07.28.2008, 03:13 AM   #177
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
SPOILERS ALERT---

Great movie, except for the last 15 mins maybe, but some "concessions" to somewhat happy endings/moral issues is not avoidable, and the actual ending is not quite happy for batman...

I can't believe nobody mentioned the soundtrack, that annoying saturated sound anticipating each joker's manifestation...

Ledger's performance is amazing, the whole "agent of chaos" thing is great, the movie manages to give the idea on how unpredictable actions can influence and fuck with people minds. A single man fucks up citizens, police, a superhero, his lady, the mobsters. For what?
Surely not for money ha ha.
The opening scene is great.
some plot twist were actually pretty predictable, but I suppose it was almost on purpose.
I loved the fact that you never get to think "poor ledgy, he died!", you think "joker is fucked up". And you never think "oh, now batman comes and kicks his ass".
When he first tell the story about his scars some might think "oh, poor boy, a hard life make him the crazyhead he is", then he makes up another story and is almost excited to come up with something different to tell even to fuckin' batman.

Too bad we can't have another joker like this, now I have a reason to feel sad about Ledger's death.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2008, 03:16 AM   #178
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
So Gorier equals darker? Plus if you look at the two, the original was gorier. You actually see the guys black charred flesh dropping off his bones while the joker is talking to him with no one else in the room. That's a little more psychologically fucked up to me too. Plus the artist joker burns people with acid and considers it his art. Even burns his girl ( who should've become Harleyquinn ) Every single thing about burton's film to me is darker and more twisted than the new one. I'm done arguing it.

dunno about that...burton's/nicholson's joker could be "gorier", but heck, to me that always felt like a comic book story. This joker feels more real, that's why it's darker, imo.
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2008, 02:17 PM   #179
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

just got back from it. First off, the Joker is a contender for one of the most psychotic characters in a movie I've ever seen. Ledger played the part perfectly. I found the whole tongue/licking thing he did very unsettling.
Everyone was else was good as well. Maggie was a much better Rachel than Katie Holmes could have ever thought about being. I was somewhat disappointed in the ending. It just seemed lacking to me and it'll make the 3rd movie more difficult. Nevertheless, I expect great things from #3.

As for a 3rd movie, I'd love to see the Riddler with that guy I posted playing him. I can honestly think of none better. For a second villain I wouldn't mind a new Penguin or the Mad Hatter. Can't say I'd mind a dark take on Mr. Freeze either, but I think he and Catwoman have been ruined. There seem to be fewer choices given the direction that these movies have taken, ie: villains are not "super-human" or "shape-shifters".
Old 07.28.2008, 02:17 PM   #180
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
i don't like superhero movies

but really should i go see this? i mean is it THAT good?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth