Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page I think I just witnessed history.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.15.2007, 12:26 AM   #1
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I just got back from a show by the Silversun Pickups and I sincerely feel like I'm going to look back on this day and be happy that I saw them in such a tiny little club.

it's a rare event when I hear a band that makes me freak out. I think the last time I felt this way was the first time I heard Modest Mouse - This is a Long Drive....

if you haven't heard them, they are being compared to early Smashing Pumpkins/My Bloody Valentine. although their influences seem obvious, the coolest thing for me is how it's been melded together into something completely new and cool.

pure fucking genius.

christ....if this post makes me sound like an insane fanboy then so be it.

on a side note: I lost my $20 I took out of the ATM between the venue and the car. they took a tab at the bar, but I was still pissed. thankfully, right before the Pickups came on I found a $10 on the ground.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 12:39 AM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
hmhm looks like you only lost $10 then--

got any samples to share by any chance? curious now...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 12:53 AM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
I was curious too... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWz9kGnAPfk

EDIT: I love shows like that by the way, the ones that evoke emotions and appreciative of being able to hear...

funny, i was already on youtube, half-watching sofia coppola interviews

this band doesn't sound half bad!

and the girl on the video is pretty

oh i can hear why the fucking pumpkins reference-- the at-times-annoyo singing voice? hm....

--

also, there is a yolatengoish quality to that song, esp. in the instrumental parts.

--

jeezus fack do they have a different song? there are dozens of versions in youtube of the same thing.
Old 03.15.2007, 09:00 AM   #4
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i feel that way every time i see the flaming lips, its an amazing once in a life time experience. Or twice in a life time, oh well, it was amazing.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 09:06 AM   #5
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I have a dark secret that eats away at the music snob in me. I first saw these guys on the Jay Leno show. I rarely watch tv, but nbc is the only station that will come in on the tv in my computer room. one night, about a month ago, these guys were playing and I stopped what I was doing and turned the tv up. I've been in love ever since.

I had to get what I have from itunes (the local "indy" record store was sold out and I couldn't wait until the show to get it) or I'd upload it to sendspace tonite (the album is called Carnavas and there really isn't a bad track on it).

there's also some itunes "exclusive" thing with 4 studio-live tracks. it's less than $4 and really worth every penny.

sadly, there was no encore last night because they blew the house PA.....but honestly I'll trade an encore anyday for a main event that destroys the soundsystem.

to top off the night, I met a really awesome girl there and spent most of the night talking music. I love talking music and sadly too few girls can carry a music conversation very well....those that do however, ROCK MY WORLD.
Old 03.15.2007, 09:08 AM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
i feel that way every time i see the flaming lips, its an amazing once in a life time experience. Or twice in a life time, oh well, it was amazing.

I used to feel that way about them.
Old 03.15.2007, 09:12 AM   #7
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

ive felt like that about the magik markers. the future will figure that one i guess.
Old 03.15.2007, 09:14 AM   #8
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
I used to feel that way about them.

what changed?, i also felt that way when i saw sonic youth play 'Teenage Riot', like you will remember it forever and it will be impossibly hard for any gig experience to top it.
Old 03.15.2007, 09:30 AM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
what changed?

the music. there is too much emphasis on "the show" these days and not enough on the music.

oh yeah, and that bitch kliph scurlock can suck it. fucking pussy.

really....
Old 03.15.2007, 09:35 AM   #10
screamingskull
invito al cielo

mmm, i don't really like kliph, he's too much like the sad flaming lips fan turned groupie turned tour drummer. He looked really moody the last time i saw them play too.
I love Wayne and Steven though, don't know too much about Michael.
Old 03.15.2007, 09:38 AM   #11
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
going back to SP, i saw them on Leno as well, however 4 nights on Carson Daly, i dont know, it sort of felt like a novelty. I would have to see a complete concert to make a fair judgement though.
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 09:49 AM   #12
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
good song, I'll try to find their album in Paris.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 09:54 AM   #13
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
mmm, i don't really like kliph, he's too much like the sad flaming lips fan turned groupie turned tour drummer.

spot on.

but seriously....when gangsta-rappers talk about "bitches"....they're talking about kliph scurlock.

what do gangsta-rappers have to do with ANYTHING? they know their bitches.

don't get me wrong....I love the Lips. they were my favorite band for a very very very long time. wayne is the nicest person on the planet and although I disagree with steven's music tastes, he's a genius.

they need to go back to a stage with 1 projector and christmas lights. as it is, I feel that they have lost focus on the music in favor of gaining a wider audience through their circus-performance that they have going now.

sad days for me.

but yeah, right now it's mostly about kliph scurlock being a bitch4life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgekrz
going back to SP, i saw them on Leno as well, however 4 nights on Carson Daly, i dont know, it sort of felt like a novelty. I would have to see a complete concert to make a fair judgement though.

I could see how you would think that. seriously...it bothered me that I "heard it first" on Jay Leno. but I'm telling you, the entire album is solid! the live show was even better.
Old 03.15.2007, 10:22 AM   #14
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Kliph came out to the a group of us after the show at Virgin fest and started a 'Fuck Muse' chant because the Lips set got cut short because of them
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 10:29 AM   #15
screamingskull
invito al cielo

i'm all for a fuck muse chant, name the time and place, im there!!!!!!!
Old 03.15.2007, 10:45 AM   #16
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i'm really glad i'm not caught up with personalities and shit like that because i still love flaming lips. seriously, at war with the mystics is one of my favorites along with priest driven ambulance and soft bulletin.

silversun pickups are great songwriters, really good, they are not unique but fuck it. to me they sounded like the pumpkins mixed with goo-era sy, it's in the bass/guitar interacting riffs.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 10:59 AM   #17
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i'm really glad i'm not caught up with personalities and shit like that because i still love flaming lips.

yeah, well.....let's just say I have valid reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
silversun pickups are great songwriters, really good, they are not unique but fuck it. to me they sounded like the pumpkins mixed with goo-era sy, it's in the bass/guitar interacting riffs.

that's a really good description!
Old 03.15.2007, 11:03 AM   #18
Georgekrz
stalker

Georgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's assesGeorgekrz kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluxequalsrad
Kliph came out to the a group of us after the show at Virgin fest and started a 'Fuck Muse' chant because the Lips set got cut short because of them

youre not talking about baltimore are you? cause muse didnt play. FL got the full hour set just didnt have time to play all the songs because of all the stupid bullshit time wasting on coyne's part. like telling people to chant yeah yeah yeah for five minutes, i wanted to strangle him...

and btw while this was going on RHCP played another half hour on the main stage, curfew be damned i guess...
Georgekrz is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 11:03 AM   #19
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
I just listened to Silversun Pickups single 'Lazy Eye' and its a complete rip off of my friends song aahhahhaah oh well im the only person whos heard it. (its been around since 2005)
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.15.2007, 11:27 AM   #20
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
dirty boots in 2007 and not as good

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth