Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Are there any art nerds here?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2008, 11:17 PM   #1
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
who would get a kick out of talking about drawing mediums, intaglio processes, paper types, or oil techniques with me?

cos that would be swell. The post yr art thread is nice but no one really talks about their processes, and its mostly digital or photographic, so I'd want to move away from that.
Old 10.16.2008, 11:33 PM   #2
phoenix
invito al cielo

phoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's assesphoenix kicks all y'all's asses
Hopefully there will be, so

These are my favourite art papers;

I use BFK Rives for almost all my book making. When I do copper plate I use BFK Rives, but lately I've been using solarplate as my intaglio medium, so I've been using some japanese hand made papers from the etching supplies store here. One of them has what looks like bits of celulose added to give it a sparkly speckled effect, really beautiful.

My visual diarys are either Hahnemuhle or Fabriano, I switch between these two;

the Fabriano are really beautiful for tonal drawings because of the texture, but the Hahnemuhle is probably better when I'm sketching up ideas. The Hahnemuhle books have held up better too.

When I draw I use a CP paper, not a fan of HP and anything rough like the ARCHES watercolour 400 to 800 R is beautiful, but doesnt suit my style.

I really am an art nerd, and I spend a lot on good papers, but there is nothing like working with beautiful cotton rag, which has been made the same way for a quarter of a millenium.
Old 10.17.2008, 05:32 AM   #3
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i've been using hannemuhle for etchings recently, it's pretty nice stuff.
my favourite kind of paper is the fragile japanese stuff (don't know what it's called) that is kind of like a cross between cotton and tissue paper, it's nice to print photos on to because the inks slightly bleed into one another.
learning about paper types is something i've been meaning to do for a long time but never really got round to because i don't really know anyone i could ask about that sort of thing.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 06:18 AM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
my best friend goes to art school, but he's too "cool" to talk about his techniques.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 07:10 AM   #5
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
my favourite kind of paper is the fragile japanese stuff (don't know what it's called) that is kind of like a cross between cotton and tissue paper, it's nice to print photos on to because the inks slightly bleed into one another.
learning about paper types is something i've been meaning to do for a long time but never really got round to because i don't really know anyone i could ask about that sort of thing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Washi

?
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 07:31 AM   #6
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaka Moloch
Hmm__

My latest is a little yellow NEW SOHO Sketch suitable for water colour, pen or colour pencil I found @Kinokuniya for 4.50.

I think my favorite application ever was nondescript-besides-Nyquilgreen&sweet sucker.

Ever tried cardboard? It's bumpy and trouble is the FFts between the bumps you can easily bust up where the ripples dip into an indentation beneath the wispy hold.

After experience with the Glory that is Trash Art, it can be tough to look at the finer, pricier high-quality delicasies seriously.

Bought bright green Mr.Yukky ink and this metal blower doohickey in an effort to get back into a Steadman-like vein, and haven't seen the metal blower doohickey since it backfired on me.
Maybe you could explain how that is supposed to work correctly with a step-by-step sketch?
I think the metal thing you are talking about is an atomiser, but i'm on my phone so its a bit hard to google and copy paste a pic. As for fine paper us the cheaper stuff, both have their ups and downs visually. The problem with such things though is mostly their complete lack of archival quality, which some people don't mind, but becames an issue if you begin to sell your work. No one will pay a decent amount for your work and time unless it is going to last for more than say, a year. Archer water colour is not only designed to be archival for hundreds of year, the higher weight cotton rag you can ...
Old 10.17.2008, 07:34 AM   #7
phoenix
invito al cielo

Hose off or wash in the tub and it will be not much different from when it started. Try doing that with cartridge or recycled card board. Having said that, i love hand made and photo copied zines, and i'm glad they're made that way. It all comes down to how disposable os temporary you want your work to be.
Old 10.17.2008, 07:34 AM   #8
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
I used to be into that stuff.
But now I'm just into photography.
I wish I had a picture of my strat painting that I could show you guys.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.17.2008, 07:37 AM   #9
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
my best friend goes to art school, but he's too "cool" to talk about his techniques.
thats not because he's cool, that's because he is insecure or pretentious. There are plenty of people like that around, having the attitude though unfortunately does not guarantee artistic success
Old 10.17.2008, 07:40 AM   #10
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
it sounds like a rice paper, but its hard to tell without seeing because there are hundreds of types of hand made paper that come out of asia. When you print photos do you mean in an ink jet? If so how do you manage to not let it jam? Or do you mean printing ...
Old 10.17.2008, 07:42 AM   #11
phoenix
invito al cielo

An etched plate that has been created with a photo emulsion? I'm happy to talk paper and any supplies for hours, i'm full of info and love to find out new things
Old 10.17.2008, 07:50 AM   #12
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by terriblecanyons
I used to be into that stuff.
But now I'm just into photography.
I wish I had a picture of my strat painting that I could show you guys.
we can talk about all the fantastic things you can do with photo images to create mixed media, there are hundreds of fun ways to use yr photography to end up with something other than just a photo
Old 10.17.2008, 07:51 AM   #13
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
yeah!
I've always wanted to try something like put a piece of emulsion paper inside my mouth and take a picture like that.
Or my hands or something.
Old 10.17.2008, 07:52 AM   #14
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Or pop some film and some polaroids in the freezer.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:07 AM   #15
phoenix
invito al cielo

Temperature just affects your film in a negative way, it can distort the colour. You should always keep your film in the fridge until you use it, but not in the freezer.. No idea what it would do to polaroid film. There are a lot more chemicals in a piece of that so it might not work at all or it might look funky. What do you mean put paper in your mouth and take a photo? Pin hole cameras are really fun to use and make if you want to play around with experimental technique.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:12 AM   #16
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Yeah, it screws with the color and makes it look really interesting. Using expired film makes it look interesting too. I meant putting the emulsion paper in my mouth in the same sense in how you use a pinhole camera.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:26 AM   #17
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah, it screws with the color and makes it look really interesting. Using expired film makes it look interesting too. I meant putting the emulsion paper in my mouth in the same sense in how you use a pinhole camera.
The biggest reason for expired film giving you that colour shift again is temperature exposure over time. It gives you a dirty magenta tone over the images. You tend to start and lose tonal gradiation too because the nature of the film deteriorates and doesn't process as well. I've seen it lots of times, i used to work in a lab. I'm not sure you'd really get much result from putting photo paper in your mouth.. Since there is no real way to have any control over how much light you let in, and it could get pretty blurry even if you did end up with an image. I also wouldn't suggest doing it because photo paper does contain chemicals and wouldn't be great for yr health.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:30 AM   #18
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Yeah that's true.
There is someway to do it that would make me seriously ill. But I really don't remember. Maybe put a tiny pinhole camera in my mouth...
Old 10.17.2008, 08:37 AM   #19
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaka Moloch
Hmm__

My latest is a little yellow NEW SOHO Sketch suitable for water colour, pen or colour pencil I found @Kinokuniya for 4.50.

I think my favorite application ever was nondescript-besides-Nyquilgreen&sweet sucker.

Ever tried cardboard? It's bumpy and trouble is the FFts between the bumps you can easily bust up where the ripples dip into an indentation beneath the wispy hold.

After experience with the Glory that is Trash Art, it can be tough to look at the finer, pricier high-quality delicasies seriously.

Bought bright green Mr.Yukky ink and this metal blower doohickey in an effort to get back into a Steadman-like vein, and haven't seen the metal blower doohickey since it backfired on me.
Maybe you could explain how that is supposed to work correctly with a step-by-step sketch?
try google for mouth atomiser and see if that is what you have.
Old 10.17.2008, 08:39 AM   #20
phoenix
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah that's true.
There is someway to do it that would make me seriously ill. But I really don't remember. Maybe put a tiny pinhole camera in my mouth...
what are you trying to take a photo of? The inside of your mouth? Like the back of yr teeth or something?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth