Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page INLAND EMPIRE was AMAZING!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.18.2007, 04:49 AM   #1
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
Do you want to see!

Checked out INLAND EMPIRE yesterday and was pretty amazed by the fucking beast. I wanted to start a new thread to express my genuine feelings about, in my opinion, one of David Lynch's best work.
The fact he used DV adds to the mystique and wonderous world of the movie. I can't even begin to think about how many mood swings it has. So many details like using vinyl crackle with certain scenes, the amazing soundtrack (Black Tambourine from Beck was quite a surprise), and what Lynch has achieved with certain shots is stunning (certainly for DV).

I think Tokolosh will be quite pleased with this adventure, although I would die knowing I had to wait till April till the movie runs in Holland

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 07:11 AM   #2
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I'm looking forward to seeing it. Mostly because it's shot with DV, and I'd like to see what he came up with.
In a recent interview, Lynch vowed to never use 35mm again.
Nice to hear that he has used Beck's Black Tambourine. Mike Patton will be a little disappointed, considering that he has expressed his desire to compose something for Lynch.

Expect some serious bashing on this thread, over the coming days...
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 08:35 AM   #3
Jef Mertens
100%

Jef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's assesJef Mertens kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh
Expect some serious bashing on this thread, over the coming days...

What I was hoping for buddy!
I'm so glad David Lynch is on to something again with this moniker. Like I said in the other, already bashed, thread: he's pushing the fucking envelop again

Jef Mertens is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.18.2007, 09:00 AM   #4
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses

Well there will be no bashing from me... I was lucky enough to see it last week at a special screening in London with a Q + A with the great man himself afterwards... and I am left panting for more... I can't wait to see it again and again and again... no other director does this to me...

I don't want to analyse it too much at this stage... that will come later after more viewings... I will say however that Laura Dern delivers an extraordinary performance... and the 3 hours duration flew by faster than a jugganaut chock full of treats en route to sensory overload heaven.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 01:51 PM   #5
maggot brain
little trouble girl

maggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to behold
INLAND EMPIRE is released in the UK tomorrow, i cant wait!

maggot brain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 01:54 PM   #6
foxforce5
bad moon rising

foxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's asses
You should dig up the old thread - it was interesting.
foxforce5 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 02:08 PM   #7
maggot brain
little trouble girl

maggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to behold
i shall

maggot brain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 02:39 PM   #8
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
well im glad you guys liked it. i was bored to tears and had to fight the urge to sleep. i agree laura dern's performance was magnificent (though she spent most of the 3 hours on "scared" mode), but the movie as a whole didn't cut it for me at all. perhaps (perhaps) in a future viewing-- i fell asleep to eraserhead too the first times i tried to watch it. and while the dv worked for some things it was just blah for others. but then again-- im not claiming everyone should agree with me-- so just you know-- im saying that's how it impacted me. i wish i could have enjoyed it! i would have been so happy. but no-- next time i'll have 3 double espressos before i sit to watch. maybe i'll have david lynch brand coffee, as a matter of fact.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 02:58 PM   #9
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I am really looking forward to seeing this. It's not on here until the end of April though. I am tempted to travel across the border to Bristol where it opens tomorrow.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 03:08 PM   #10
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
i still havnt seen it and i love it!

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.08.2007, 11:10 PM   #11
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to see it this weekend.

Makes me almost wish I still took drugs.
Katy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 12:16 AM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
i still havnt seen it and i love it!

i dont know why this rubs me the wrong way. kinda like watching christians on tv.

--

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy
I'm going to see it this weekend.

Makes me almost wish I still took drugs.

the only drug you'll need is david lynch brand coffee, to stay awake.

---

and by the way, i'm going to watch the thing a 2nd time. masochism? no-- curiosity, and lynch deserves another chance. but this time i'm drinking a lotta coffee upfront.
Old 03.09.2007, 12:19 AM   #13
Katy
the destroyed room

Katy kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's assesKaty kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
the only drug you'll need is david lynch brand coffee, to stay awake.

Damn. I gave up coffee too when I gave up drugs.

Maybe I'll just take a pillow...
Old 03.09.2007, 12:25 AM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katy
Damn. I gave up coffee too when I gave up drugs.

Maybe I'll just take a pillow...

ha ha-- not even tea??
Old 03.09.2007, 12:35 AM   #15
Katy
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ha ha-- not even tea??

Only non-caffeinated herbal infusions.. it's all very sad.
Old 03.09.2007, 05:24 AM   #16
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Mulholland Drive being my favorite movie, I was more than eager to go see DL's latest.
I had read bad reviews, heard tons of bad things and so on.
Most of them said that the film was too long and that you couldn't understand it at all.
5 years ago girl I knew said she hadn't appreciated Mulholland because she had not understood it. I found that it was not a valid reason to dismiss the film. You FEEL things, and your brain clicks.
Do I try to understand movies whenever I see one? Yes, I do. Sometimes I don't find anything to understand 100% of it (Arizona Dream), but as long as there's coherence and that I feel pleasure-related things, I let go.
Did I find any coherence in IE? Well, yes; two days later. I felt the need to save something from it. What it brought me was : great expectations, and boredom. I felt cold. Some of you have written about sleep. I find the film too long but... considering it's a three hours picture, I was surprised when the film ended. Which means that the good (for me) parts last longer than they seem.
Don't read the rest if you plan to see for yourself as I'll spoil it. Well, if you read indeed, I'll put in some improper stuff.
Great scenes, here and there, with Grace Zabriskie. I had goosebumps. Jeremy Irons is fine. Theroux's voice seems deeper than in MD and he's really well. Laura Dern is a mystery to me. Lynch said she was fabulous, and I can't see why. The answer ain't on the screen. Or it's hidden.
The film is extremely raw and looks a bit like a remake of American Psycho.
In American Psycho, the book, coherence blows up from the moment the character named Price leaves his pals. Coherence comes back with him.
Justin Theroux played in Mary Harron's American Psycho. He was playing Price (named, for obscure reasons Bryce). In IE, the coherence explodes when he disappears. The reasons for his disappearance are in the movie, in the scene I liked the most.
Now that I've rebuilt some coherence, do I like it more? Nope. On the whole I felt disappointed.
But, maybe, surely, time will partly erase the redundant scenes.
Typing that, I think of some the good critics I read. They made me think that their authors had gathered their brain cells to create something from what they had seen in order to say that it was good, when they, in fact, had not been touched that much.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.09.2007, 05:33 AM   #17
foxforce5
bad moon rising

foxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's assesfoxforce5 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bertrand
Most of them said that the film was too long and that you couldn't understand it at all.
Your post was too long and I didn't understand it but when I feel inclined I tell people, "God, it was amazing" and also how you are "Incredible. Really just incredible."
foxforce5 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth