Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Allen Ginsberg, Jerking Off
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.17.2006, 02:28 PM   #1
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
Jerking Off is a poem by Ginsberg for those that don't know. Any way I picked up a couple of his books yesterday at the library. I braught one to school today and was reading it through the course of the day. Theres some good material in there, its called Death and Fame, but a lot of it seems less poetic, if that could even apply to him. A lot of political stuff as well. Before this I never read that much, mostly just Howl so I dont know what its completely like.

Anyone, back to the subject at hand. I was reading a poem during english and my friend walked by and read the title: Jerking Off in bold large type face on top of the page, so he snatched it and read it. His expression was quite humorous, considering he had never even heard of Ginsberg before. But I read it after and its prob. one of the most 'obscene' (if I had to label it) poems I've read before. All i could think about was an old guy witha beard giving head. Oh well, theres a story for you all. Ill try and find the poem online.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:35 PM   #2
Ich bin gael
little trouble girl

Ich bin gael has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hmm.. never read it. I respect Howl for what it is/was, but I didn't really enjoy it... I suppose I had to have been alive at that time.. or at least hear him read it.

A lot of that "beat" stuff doesn't really do it for me, which sucks because I ADORE it in theory...
Ich bin gael is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:38 PM   #3
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
one of the things i like the most about ginsberg was how an unabashedly horny goat he was.

haven't read that. i love kaddish, sunflower sutra, howl, a supermarket in california, and a number of other poems-- his songs are funny but not that great (art vs propaganda again-- oh no!). anyway i'll check it ouf it if i can.

oh i have some tracks of ginsberg reading howl & other poems. i could be persuaded to fish them out of my big offline-machine on a usb drive, move them to the laptop, and shoot them up into the sky for people to drink. but i am too scatterbrained to remember.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:51 PM   #4
John Violence
the end of the ugly

John Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's assesJohn Violence kicks all y'all's asses
Supermarket in California was on my English final today.
John Violence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 02:56 PM   #5
Kim C Not G
bad moon rising

Kim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the roughKim C Not G is a jewel in the rough
I borrowed a book of his entire collection in school library hearing it from Patti Smith and Sonic Youth not to long ago. I don't remember that one specifically but you're right some of his poems are very graphic. Anyway, a mother of a friend was actually explaining to me that he can be considered a beat poet and how obvious you can tell in "Howl". There is a poem of his called something like Asthyles (not even close to spelling or probably not even to the name) that was probably one of my favorites of his.
Kim C Not G is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 03:56 PM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
america! i've given you all and now i'm nothing!! how could i have forgotten!!
/me blows kisses.

thanks for that.
Old 05.17.2006, 04:01 PM   #7
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
fuck you and your A-bomb

Old 05.17.2006, 04:19 PM   #8
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturnine
see my sig

(it's actually go fuck yrself with yr atom bomb)
sy stole the "yr" thing from him

nice

Old 05.17.2006, 04:22 PM   #9
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
I like him, but I bought his entire collection of poetry and it was way too much.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 05:23 PM   #10
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Another misleading thread name by the Sheriff

Yeah this is the way to go. I like picking it up and reading a few when I feel the need.

Old 05.17.2006, 06:04 PM   #11
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
i havent read much by him either, defiantly interested in more.

ive heard some of those recordings you speak of !@#$!, they are on the bob dylan documentry. cornershop also sampled some for one of their songs.

if you feel the urge to upload them, i would download them.
Old 05.17.2006, 06:14 PM   #12
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
I'm a big Ginsberg fan--I have his CD "the lion for real" as well as the recording "howl and other poems" on cassette, all his poems except his final works, and the cd box set "holly soul, jelly roll." I saw him read in Austin about a year before he died. I had a dream that he came to visit me, and then I heard he was dead several days later.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2006, 07:04 PM   #13
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
Another misleading thread name by the Sheriff

Yeah this is the way to go. I like picking it up and reading a few when I feel the need.

they had this also at the library. I just didnt want to carry it home with the other books. 1000+ pages.

Old 05.18.2006, 12:08 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
i havent read much by him either, defiantly interested in more.

ive heard some of those recordings you speak of !@#$!, they are on the bob dylan documentry. cornershop also sampled some for one of their songs.

if you feel the urge to upload them, i would download them.

i didn't run the big computer this morning-- i have to turn on a generator to run it, you see. maybe this weekend as i have to edit some stuff. i appreciate the reminder, yes. will put them up for you-- you still @ yahoo group?
Old 05.18.2006, 03:18 PM   #15
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i didn't run the big computer this morning-- i have to turn on a generator to run it, you see. maybe this weekend as i have to edit some stuff. i appreciate the reminder, yes. will put them up for you-- you still @ yahoo group?

nope, i got chisled out back when the group got to maximum capacity.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth