Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page a brilliant letter that somebody wrote about Rob Instigator
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.20.2010, 01:13 PM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
In Edwin Pounceys review of Rob Instigator's beard (The Shaver 309), Rob's beard is compared to Cecil Taylor, Derek Bailey and Glenn Gould with evidence that is either highly specious or totally non-existent.

One of the most salient features of the beard is the dark brown beneath the base of Rob's chin. Its hard to miss. He strokes these bristles every few seconds on every single day. There arent any other hairs in that hue on the face. Rob sticks to the chin stroking for the majority of his beard-fondling on patches one, two and three (as you pointed out and one can observe from the video posted on The Shavers webpage, Rob has grommed patches four and five from his face). At the end of a list of beard influences, you name Derek Bailey claiming that his influence echoes loudest here. No further explanation of this influence is given in your review, but lets examine what Derek Bailey has done for the beard and see if we can find any similarities to Orcutt.

Bailey DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A BEARD!!!

Pouncey goes into a bit more depth in his comparison to Cecil Taylor. He says that there is a distinct moustache element to Rob's face, and that the influence can be plainly seen midway through his Lips, where the grizzly moustache against the upper lip is strained to the point where they look like Taylors stabbed piano keys. First of all, the middle of a Lip looks like the rest of a Lip. Theres nothing Cecil Taylor-like about this part of the face that can be plainly seen. It also looks like every other hair on the face with the exception of the last. Second, Id like you to name one Cecil Taylor album where he returns to the same moustache over and over again every few seconds throughout every piece.

Pouncey supports the idea that Glenn Gould is an influence on this beard by pointing out that they both are a bit unkempt. You mention Gould in the headline, but this is the only connection to him you posit, and it is a superficial connection, if not a meaningless one. Lots of instrumentalists, classical and jazz alike, have unkempt hair. Why not compare Rob to a jazz musician who likes big asses? At least then theyre both ass-men. The comparison might be slightly more meaningful if it was made to another grizzly man, but then it would undermine the equally tenuous and unsupported contention that Rob's face has a beard.
Old 01.20.2010, 01:17 PM   #2
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
i wanna know when rob stopped modeling

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 01:33 PM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it's good money...
Old 01.20.2010, 01:46 PM   #4
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
rob, why did you let them take out yer nosering and put it on your ear? is the money worth your skronk dignity?

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 02:08 PM   #5
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I save dmy complaints for the art department asshole who drew my junk so small. my balls should be overflowin that speedo.
Old 01.20.2010, 03:07 PM   #6
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
That is a brilliant letter.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2010, 10:24 PM   #7
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
wtf?!
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth