Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Paper vs. Internet
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: How should i publish my zine?
Paper 10 52.63%
Internet 9 47.37%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09.17.2006, 06:34 PM   #1
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i'm having second thoughts, i need to put things in perspective.

as some of you may know, i have a blog that i do as a fanzine with like interviews and articles about the stuff i like, but lately i've been thinking about taking the extra step and start printing a real fanzine and sell it online.

the thing is, i'd love to work on an issue by issue mode better than whenever i can because whenever i can is mostly never, i'd also love to do some design and put a little more effort into it and the internet is a very anonimous place where people google a word, read whatever and then forget about you forever (not to mention blogs suck, everybody trying to be indier than thou, championing the same shit bands, writing about how much pitchfork sucks, posting every day and people being spoiled as only logging in to leach off whatever mp3s are posted.)

on the other hand, the internet is free and easy to access by everyone, it's anything goes and, in theory, you can have instant retroactive feedback from the readers.

so what do you think?

ps: my stuff is personal, i'm not trying to go against inhuman's project, in fact, i'd love to participate in it since i normally don't do reviews. plus, the more sources of information the better, i think.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2006, 06:36 PM   #2
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I don't mind as your writing is enagaging even though i don't agree with everything you write.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.17.2006, 06:38 PM   #3
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I much prefer paper, although I chose internet because:

1) More environmently friendly
2) You can target audiences to every single person that has the internet, so the distribution is better.
Old 09.17.2006, 06:43 PM   #4
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
thing is, i probably don't have the discipline to be all free for all, i'd probably work better with a deadline; like if inhuman tells me to give him a review, it would be easier as opposed to me trying to post about whatever album i'm listening on my blog.

also, it's been a year plus that i've had my blog, i've interviewed several bands and it seems like nothing has happened since i've started...i don't know, i'm in the mist of trying to make sense.

have i mention how much i appreciate the support and kind words people have given me on my writing and my blog? if not, really thanks a lot, i DO appreciate it.
Old 09.18.2006, 02:57 AM   #5
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I would go for internet. First of all, it's cheaper and you can reach people on a world wide scale. If you have a site with a good content management system, you can post stuff straight out of your head, in a flash. Don't undermine paper though. It's nice to put some of the content of the site onto paper once in a while (Every month or once in a half year). Make a selection of the best articles and find a cheap printing company, or do it independently. Photocopied stuff has a certain look to it. The layout and the type of paper used, are also very important for the look. Success!
Old 09.18.2006, 03:02 AM   #6
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
do both.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 03:15 AM   #7
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I've voted internet as I wouldn't want to be unable to reading your writings.
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 08:49 AM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

i never thought about stop doing the internet all together, just refocusing or something.

i might post stuff on the internet during a certain period and then releasing it on paper (like Tokolosh suggested, thanks man) plus give some downloads and shit; in return, i can a offer a better design and other stuff like mixtapes and posters and other stuff for the printed fanzine.

thanks for voting and posting everybody.
Old 09.18.2006, 12:17 PM   #9
Die Braut
little trouble girl

Die Braut has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I voted Internet, although there are many other internet zines... but I'd be able to read it.
Die Braut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 12:28 PM   #10
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
internet has a cheaper startup cost, you can make some profit or at least have the thing pay for itself by selling ads, and it reachers a much bigger audience.

there is another way of course which is you launch your magazine in print and the website works as a teaser to get people to subscribe. of course the managing of subscriptions is a royal bitch, even big companies fuck it up on a regular basis.

so i'd go for online first sell some adds grow slowly until you can afford the costs & risks of printing.

if you're going to print anyway you could check out arthur magazine which grew from a little local thing into a respectable publication (though full of hippie ideology, but whatever) and all of this while being distributed for free.

anyway man hm best wishes & all that crap. if i can help let me know.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 12:41 PM   #11
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I think paper is much, much more interesting. Depends on what you want to do, but, for one thing, you're going against the status quo. Be a rebel, and join the revenge of print against the electronic age!
Old 09.18.2006, 12:46 PM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I think paper is much, much more interesting. Depends on what you want to do, but, for one thing, you're going against the status quo. Be a rebel, and join the revenge of print against the electronic age!

he's going to have to be a rebel with deep pockets... kinda like the character played by mastroianni in "allonsanfan" (great movie, yes this is an opportunity to recommend).

one advantage of arthur is that it had easy access to u.s. markets. printing from mexico & shipping to other places is going to be a royal bitch.

actually, no, because you could save in printing... but the investment is significant nevertheless. with internet you can pay more for your server as you get more traffic. easy, really.
Old 09.18.2006, 01:00 PM   #13
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
mmm, maybe. depends, again, on what he wants to do. plenty of diy-ers have done the 'zine on the cheap w/ typewriter, paper, glue stick, scissors, and copy machine.
Old 09.18.2006, 01:06 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

typewriters! i remember those... well yeah it can be done that way. but why do i want to get a photocopy of a glued paper when i can just hit the print button on my computer? if he's going to print, he needs to offer something more, something the computer can't (yet) give, like a nice tabloid size, or glossy pictures. of course there are so many choices-- who knows?
Old 09.18.2006, 01:12 PM   #15
maggot brain
little trouble girl

maggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to beholdmaggot brain is a splendid one to behold
both!

maggot brain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.18.2006, 01:45 PM   #16
gmku
invito al cielo

matter of personal preference, in the end. personally, I'll pick up a print 'zine but I won't spend much time looking on the web for a zine.
Old 09.18.2006, 02:14 PM   #17
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
matter of personal preference, in the end. personally, I'll pick up a print 'zine but I won't spend much time looking on the web for a zine.

true, true. we do seem to spent a lot of time HERE though (ha ha). maybe if he adds a forum to his website ...

i think it's nicer to have a printed thing, but the financial risks associated with it are quite significant. the internet really offers a low-cost entry point, and the thing scales quite nicely as it grows. plus, with RSS, people can subscribe & get your content without you having to chase them down....

even if he launches a print thing, web support is crucial these days, to promote it and get subscriptions and what not.
Old 09.18.2006, 11:30 PM   #18
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Internets.....paper would rule, but yr audience would def. suffer (obvi).
Old 09.19.2006, 12:02 AM   #19
hey alex
the end of the ugly

hey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asseshey alex kicks all y'all's asses
Me and my friends have talke dabout doing a zine. We were in journalism in highschool and used the back page as ahumor/satire page called silet radio. We've talked about bringing it back and the debate is print or interent? Print definentely get noticed a lot quicker around a college campus than intrent, but also be costly and just found around the school.. With the net we could build up with time and put on regular articles. I'd go with both, but probably start online just to see if it would be worth it to make a print... which considering we were succeful before (no one cared about the paper except our back page really), I'd say we'd go well... it's just pricey.
Duran Duran's 1995 covers album Thank You was recently voted the worst album of all time by a Q magazine poll. Although we respectfully disagree (Sonic Youth's NYC Ghosts & Flowers is clearly the worst album of all time) -Pitchfork (hahahah!)

Here's a myspace of my music and 4-track ramblings
the electric kites--the jamz of me n my friends
hey alex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.19.2006, 12:10 AM   #20
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
I say paper, because it would get out to the local area, if you write about local bands, this would help. But paper does give you a wider audience, and much less restrictions.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth