Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Missed opportunities
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.11.2006, 08:52 PM   #1
lighter shade of grey
empty page

lighter shade of grey ain't too shabbylighter shade of grey ain't too shabby
Memories can be a good thing to have, but, God, can they slap the crap out o ya. As I mellow in my age and realize many of my compatriots of the '70s are grandparents, I realize I haven't grown up. My music is still hard and loud, my attitudes are still counter culture, and I still can't figure out what the Hell is going on half the time.
Is it that opportunities have passed me by, or is it that I simply stepped out of their way? Old friends that have died took w/ them so much of me, and the music from Macon esp the Allman Bros, R.E.M., and Jupiter Coyote, is all that is left of that time in my life.
I am proud of the youth that is 'following' those of us who lived by a different code and don't follow the norms set by society. For now, I crank up Alanis Morriset, start another chapter in another book - one day I may even publish!
Keep on living life according to your rules!
lighter shade of grey is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2006, 09:10 PM   #2
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry... what? You consider Alanis Morriset "hard and loud"??? Welcome to the board, but with that attitude, You may not fit in quite right!!!

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2006, 09:30 PM   #3
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
i "missed the oppurtunity" to have any fucking idea what is going on in this thread.
ni'k is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2006, 09:46 PM   #4
ni'k
invito al cielo

ni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's assesni'k kicks all y'all's asses
but dude to be serious that's really cool man. keep out there on the edges.
Old 11.12.2006, 03:31 PM   #5
lighter shade of grey
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
Sorry... what? You consider Alanis Morriset "hard and loud"??? Welcome to the board, but with that attitude, You may not fit in quite right!!!

There are times when subtle sarcasim is too subtle. I am of the 'old' rock, 'new' rock and Southern rock genre. Ever since seeing Jimi Hendrix in Byron at the 'Byron Rock Festival', I was quite sure that hard rock was THE way to listen to music. Oops, I think I just told on myself!

I look forwqard to reading the posts and - when the opportunity is right - to put in a comment or three. As for fitting in, I don't think I've ever fit in, which is the best way to be!

Peace! L.S.o G.
Old 11.12.2006, 03:34 PM   #6
ni'k
invito al cielo

You should share your old stories with us L.S.o.G.
Old 11.12.2006, 03:43 PM   #7
lighter shade of grey
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
but dude to be serious that's really cool man. keep out there on the edges.

Guess the direction I was going w/ this is that it's important to follow thru w/ your dreams and desires. I didn't always do that and now I see that I missed out on a lot of things. My life is rich, but there will always be that 'what if' factor.

Yeah, I am out on 'the edges' and wouldn't have it any other way. Mainstream, middle of the road is absolutly not the place to be. I actually tried it for a couple of days - ugh.

Keep life in the balance. Peace! L.S.o P.
Old 11.12.2006, 04:08 PM   #8
ni'k
invito al cielo

yeah man. im at the stage were i'm very vary of that, not following thru, not being a musician and doing the things i dream of everyday. cos its easier no too and to just dream all the time. need to start doing things now or else ill end up never doing them/
Old 11.12.2006, 04:10 PM   #9
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses

atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 04:26 PM   #10
lighter shade of grey
empty page

Quote:
You should share your old stories with us L.S.o.G.

Back when Macon (GA) was the mecca of Southern Rock, many of the bands that were signed w/ Phil Walden and Capricorn Records used a 'favorite hangout' - Rose Hill Cemetary, off of Riverside Drive. One of the better stories that I remember from this time resulted in a pretty good song by The Allman Bros.

A lot of heavy partying occured in Rose Hill, with the associated shenanigans that follow. During one of these shindigs, a member of the A. Bros Band took one of the numerous party girls down in the lower areas of the cemetary (this is a very large cemetary - 100s of acres) to tend to the amerous business at hand. At the moment of maximum enjoyment, the suitor/band member looked up and - as they were laying on an old grave - read the name of the inhabitant therein. The Headstone read:

"In Memory of Elizabeth Reed Napier"

From that humble epitath, the song "In Memory of Elizabeth Reed" was born. Unfortunatly, due to lower life forms defacing and stealing the headstone several times, it no longer exists, although the "Napier" family site is still there and can easily be visited.

The same cemetary also holds the mortal remains of Dwayne Allman and Berry Oakley, two original members of the ABB and both killed on Harley's almost a year apart. Should you wish to visit, go to Carnation Ridge in Rose Hill and you will have no problem finding the two markers. The site is visited by many young and old fans of the ABB.

Should you be interested in more 'Stories from Rose Hill', or other stories from the Capricorn era in Macon, let me know. I will do what I can to bring some of the '70s to the '00s. Till then...

Peace! L.S.o G.
Old 11.12.2006, 04:27 PM   #11
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=lighter shade of grey]quote]
Yes.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 04:38 PM   #12
lighter shade of grey
empty page

Quote:
yeah man. im at the stage were i'm very vary of that, not following thru, not being a musician and doing the things i dream of everyday. cos its easier no too and to just dream all the time. need to start doing things now or else ill end up never doing them/

Dreaming is always a good thing. The part that is difficult is following thru. I am always wary of giving advice, but will offer you this bit of 'experience'. You will not fail by trying, only by not trying enough times. You may fail once, twice, or a hundred times, but you will succeed. Do those things in life you believe in, enjoy, and care about. Your choices don't have to be popular with others, but they do have to be comfortable for you.

Well, I'll stop there, as I don't want to sound like a teacer or - a parent!

Take care and Peace! L.S.o G.
Old 11.12.2006, 04:38 PM   #13
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Die.

Old 11.12.2006, 04:43 PM   #14
lighter shade of grey
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600

Hey, thanks for the Welcome! I hope I won't be a major dud using this format. As I am 'old and worn out' by many of those who read the enclosed verbage, I may end up sitting back and learning from the next generation. I look forward to hearing from you. As my work keeps me busy to the tune of 50 - 60 hours a week, I will be here only as an infrequent visitor. Guess I'll go back to the race - now that Atlanta lost - ugh!

kkBe Back Soon... Peace! Grove
Old 11.12.2006, 05:07 PM   #15
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
A tale of a thoroughly defiled grave and song origin...nice start.

Maybe it was Dickie Betts' amorous adventure, because he wrote the tune.
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=817

When I lived in Savannah, I would go to Drayton Tower to hang out with some of the SCAD students and I soon learned that running rampant through the cemetery downtown in the middle of the night was a popular pastime.
Old 11.12.2006, 06:10 PM   #16
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
...well, I missed the opportunity to learn how to raise the dead....I miss my mom and dad like you wouldn't believe.
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2006, 06:23 PM   #17
lighter shade of grey
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by atari 2600
A tale of a thoroughly defiled grave and song origin...nice start.

Maybe it was Dickie Betts' amorous adventure, because he wrote the tune.
http://www.songfacts.com/detail.php?id=817

When I lived in Savannah, I would go to Drayton Tower to hang out with some of the SCAD students and I soon learned that running rampant through the cemetery downtown in the middle of the night was a popular pastime.

The site you sent: songfacts.com, is great. I am - and probably always will be - a bit of a Luddite w/ regards to this infernal machine, and any assistance is greatly appreciated. Yes, it was Dickie, but I wasn't going to put his name out there. However, you have correctly deduced the malfactor in the story.

Did you ever go to the H & H Restaurant in Macon? That was the hangout for all of the Capricorn bands in the '70s - 'early '80s. There are some great stories from there. Momma Louise and her crew served some of the best fried chicken and all of the fixens.

Guess it's time for me to crash and burn. The fire is going good and I'm getting ready to vegitate and shut this thang down for a bit. Have a good one and I'll be in touch.

Peace... L.S.o G.
Old 11.12.2006, 06:25 PM   #18
porkmarras
invito al cielo

But "take me to the haven of your bed"
Was something that you never said
Two lumps, please
You're the bee's knees
But so am I

Old 11.12.2006, 06:32 PM   #19
atari 2600
invito al cielo

Naw, I haven't been to H & H, although I bet it's good...a lot of those southern cafeteria-style restaurants are.

I dated Amber Valentine for a bit and her band, Jucifer, used to be on Capricorn. As you know, their offices are now in downtown Atlanta. First she was on Crack Rock Records, then Capricorn, and now Relapse Records haha.

That was sad about Warren Haynes.

I'm sort of in shock that, finally, someone on this board knows who Chickasaw Muddpuppies are/were.
Old 11.12.2006, 06:33 PM   #20
porkmarras
invito al cielo

Ya?

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth